PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Valley, BC. BJJ or Judo

Snapp
4/07/2005 1:29pm,
Ive decided to branch out and take some BJJ or Judo. I had looked into switching to BJJ a while ago but had some money issues at the time and didnt want to leave my current club.

But now that I decided what the hell I'll just take both, I realize that the place I had planned to go to has classes on Tues/Thurs, the days I am already busy.

I really need to find a place with weekend, Monday, Wednesday or Friday classes. The other thing is, I am all the way out in Abbotsford. I dont see myself driving for longer than 30 mins to get to class, so I probably wouldnt go any further than Surrey, Langley, Chilliwack, etc (not Vancouver, Richmond and beyond).

I'd really like to get decent at Judo so I can get into the advanced classes here in Abbotsford, as they are on Mon/Wed, but the beginner classes are Tues/Thurs...

I checked the internet, and read through the first 5 pages of search results on this site, but most of the stuff I found was Tues/Thurs, or out of my travel range.

Anyone know of any places that fit the above description? Anyone know the class times of the Langley and Chilliwack Judo clubs?

Thanks in advance

Pandinha
4/07/2005 3:06pm,
Ive decided to branch out and take some BJJ or Judo. I had looked into switching to BJJ a while ago but had some money issues at the time and didnt want to leave my current club.

But now that I decided what the hell I'll just take both, I realize that the place I had planned to go to has classes on Tues/Thurs, the days I am already busy.

I really need to find a place with weekend, Monday, Wednesday or Friday classes. The other thing is, I am all the way out in Abbotsford. I dont see myself driving for longer than 30 mins to get to class, so I probably wouldnt go any further than Surrey, Langley, Chilliwack, etc (not Vancouver, Richmond and beyond).

I'd really like to get decent at Judo so I can get into the advanced classes here in Abbotsford, as they are on Mon/Wed, but the beginner classes are Tues/Thurs...

I checked the internet, and read through the first 5 pages of search results on this site, but most of the stuff I found was Tues/Thurs, or out of my travel range.

Anyone know of any places that fit the above description? Anyone know the class times of the Langley and Chilliwack Judo clubs?

Thanks in advance

Langley has a BJJ school run by the highest ranked BJJ Black Belt in Canada Marcus Soares, looks like his site is down.

Abbotsford has a great Judo Club, which I believe they also call the Fraser Valley Judo Club, which I trained at. They have a ton of Black Belts, all of them excellent teachers. http://www.abbotsfordjudo.com/

Good luck.

Snapp
4/07/2005 4:46pm,
Langley has a BJJ school run by the highest ranked BJJ Black Belt in Canada Marcus Soares, looks like his site is down.

Abbotsford has a great Judo Club, which I believe they also call the Fraser Valley Judo Club, which I trained at. They have a ton of Black Belts, all of them excellent teachers. http://www.abbotsfordjudo.com/

Good luck.

I checked out both those places already. Marcus Soares BJJ is tues/thurs as well as Abbotsford Judo (beginners classes) are tues/thurs...

Edit: This is why I posted, I have looked already and found nothing that isnt tues/thurs without going all the way downtown... I have yet to call Chilliwack and Langley Judo, they have no website apparently.

Pandinha
4/08/2005 1:21pm,
I checked out both those places already. Marcus Soares BJJ is tues/thurs as well as Abbotsford Judo (beginners classes) are tues/thurs...

Edit: This is why I posted, I have looked already and found nothing that isnt tues/thurs without going all the way downtown... I have yet to call Chilliwack and Langley Judo, they have no website apparently.

Forget beginners. I started all over in Judo, went the first week Tues and Thursday. After the first week, went almost every single day. I got my yellow in 4/5 weeks. Mr. Suda will evaluate, and if he thinks you can handle it, you can do every day. Bear in mind, it was pretty humbling being 250lbs and being thrown around by 14 year old green belts. If you can handle that, go for it. I was a bit lucky that I had BJJ experience previous, so at least on ground I rocked. :)

I thought of doing Judo Mon/Wed, and BJJ Tue/Thu. Judo is really taxing on the body. If you are also on a budget, Judo is the way to go.

Snapp
4/10/2005 8:40pm,
Forget beginners. I started all over in Judo, went the first week Tues and Thursday. After the first week, went almost every single day. I got my yellow in 4/5 weeks. Mr. Suda will evaluate, and if he thinks you can handle it, you can do every day. Bear in mind, it was pretty humbling being 250lbs and being thrown around by 14 year old green belts. If you can handle that, go for it. I was a bit lucky that I had BJJ experience previous, so at least on ground I rocked. :)

I thought of doing Judo Mon/Wed, and BJJ Tue/Thu. Judo is really taxing on the body. If you are also on a budget, Judo is the way to go.

Well Ive been taking TJJ for about a year, Ive decided to actually just quit now. So I think I may try out both classes and decide for myself.

Im fairly used to getting thrown around in TJJ and I already know how to do quite a few throws, so Im hoping Ill pick up Judo fairly well and Im only 185 so it wont be quite as humbling lol.