PDA

View Full Version : Hernia- what to do

Pages : [1] 2

johnny runner
4/05/2005 7:25pm,
Hey,
So I'm 26, been training hard since I first got into martial arts. I got a hernia, god knows how, and just recently had surgery to fix it.
I'm out of full training for at least a month- the longest I've had to go since I began training.
My question is for all the experts and people who've had hernia surgery out there: What exercises can I start doing now, and which ones can I do soon? The surgery was almost two weeks ago.
I really don't want to rip my stiches out because I never want to go through this crap again.

Thanks a lot

Equipoise
4/05/2005 7:48pm,
Hey, dummy. Wanna explode your intestines out through your anus? Lay off the training for six weeks. Take a vacation, hypertrophy your knowledge for now with some reading.

Also, how'd you manage to get a Hernia. I HOPE that it wasn't due to improper squatting or deadlifting form with too much weight.

johnny runner
4/05/2005 8:01pm,
No, the idea of my intestines flying out of my anus does not excite me.
My SURGEON said I could resume full training in a month, so I will.
I was just looking for some exercises I could do in the meantime. i was thinking about swimming since the water takes the stress off the abdomen

And who knows how I got the hernia? I do ten backflips before I go to bed every night, weights 2-3 times a week, spar at least once a week, total I train 14-30 hours a week. Hell, I could have gotten it from sneezing. Any of us are susceptible, especially men. It just happens. So lay off. I'm just looking for some advice, not to be insulted.

So if anybody has any other advice, tips that don't involve insults, I'd love to hear them.

Reikon
4/05/2005 8:06pm,
Lay off the exercise period.

Most exercises involving the extremities, also involve contracting the core, and therefore, you can't do jack. Sorry man, but you'll be happy in a month when you don't need to go back to the ER because you tore your abdomen back open. This is one of those times where you just need to lay back, and take a vaycay.

please note i have no medical or physiological expertise or experiance unlike Akira who is taking an EMT course

Equipoise
4/05/2005 9:03pm,
Don't do exercises until your surgeoun says you can. Not kidding about this. You think swimming takes stress off of the abdomen. That's not exactly correct and the strokes do stretch the Rectus Abdominis and unless you'd like to open up the sutures made on the the lining that holds your muscle in. Give it a month and then I'd wait another week after that to start exercises. Last April my gall blader ruptured. I had to get it removed and I was told that unless I want to rip my stomach open I should relax. I know, you want to go nuts since you can't move around, but it's better to let yourself heal then to put yourself outa the game for the season.

And who knows how I got the hernia? I do ten backflips before I go to bed every night, weights 2-3 times a week, spar at least once a week, total I train 14-30 hours a week. Hell, I could have gotten it from sneezing. Any of us are susceptible, especially men. It just happens. So lay off. I'm just looking for some advice, not to be insulted.

I find this suspect. A hernia or a major one doesn't just happen from sneezing. The backflips possibly and this is just odd anyway. I think you'd pull or possibly tear something and not herniate due to them. What is your weight lifting program?

Punisher
4/05/2005 10:10pm,
johnny runner,

I'm 28 and just got a hernia repaired last year. There are several hernia threads on the site, use the search function to find them. If you still have questions you can PM me.

Renn
4/05/2005 11:50pm,
Well, i haven't had hernia surgery but hopefully my advice can help. I know not training might drive you crazy but follow your doctor's advice.

I had an appendicitus a few years ago so it is kind of similar to what you had done. Anyhow i felt okay a week or so after and since sitting around was driving me nuts i decided to play baseball with some friends.

Anyhow long story short, i ended up ripping something and had some internal bleeding. I wasn't right for at least 6 months. It probably took me 2 years to fully recover because i decided that i didn't need to follow doctor's orders. It's just not worth it. When i say fully recover i mean in terms of explosiveness-wise.

johnny runner
4/06/2005 12:03am,
Thanks for all the advice, given that I'm two weeks in post op, i'll start training again at the beginning of May. My surgeon said I can work upper body in the meantime (before may) but to not stress out the lower abs. This is shitty advice since damn near anything can affect lower abs, but doctors in this town are all quacks (this town being Las Vegas)

As for the cause of my hernia- it CAN happen easily, even from sneezing. Truly. Look it up. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it was the backflips or something equally badass, but that little line on the side of the stomach is every guy's weak link in the ab muscles, and if something's gotta give, that'll be the place. The big problem is the psychological damage this kind of injury gives a guy. I shouldn't have to feel old at 26! I'm a little worried about getting back into the flips and jump spin kicks, even when May has come. The last thing I want to do is do this again. Obviously walking is OK, so I can for now do a bunch of that.
So long story short- all of us are susceptible. You don't have to be acting like an idiot lifting way more than you can lift to do it. Mine was gradual- I think it started even over two years ago, but didn't get bad until recently.

Oh, and I rarely lift weights- straight calisthetics baby.
3x a week:
100 pullups (ranging from back arm, fore arm, one arm)
300pushups (various types)
200 situps (various types)

Equipoise
4/06/2005 12:20am,
Thanks for all the advice, given that I'm two weeks in post op, i'll start training again at the beginning of May. My surgeon said I can work upper body in the meantime (before may) but to not stress out the lower abs. This is shitty advice since damn near anything can affect lower abs, but doctors in this town are all quacks (this town being Las Vegas)

As for the cause of my hernia- it CAN happen easily, even from sneezing. Truly. Look it up. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it was the backflips or something equally badass, but that little line on the side of the stomach is every guy's weak link in the ab muscles, and if something's gotta give, that'll be the place. The big problem is the psychological damage this kind of injury gives a guy. I shouldn't have to feel old at 26! I'm a little worried about getting back into the flips and jump spin kicks, even when May has come. The last thing I want to do is do this again. Obviously walking is OK, so I can for now do a bunch of that.
So long story short- all of us are susceptible. You don't have to be acting like an idiot lifting way more than you can lift to do it. Mine was gradual- I think it started even over two years ago, but didn't get bad until recently.

Oh, and I rarely lift weights- straight calisthetics baby.
3x a week:
100 pullups (ranging from back arm, fore arm, one arm)
300pushups (various types)
200 situps (various types)

Uhh yeah... okay off to another thread

johnny runner
4/06/2005 4:05pm,
So all I've read now are horror stories with hernias. People who had the surgery and it happened again. Anybody out there get the surgery and have it go fine? No recurrence, good as new?

And I wasn't bragging about the calisthetics, but I am a big opponent to lifting weights. Point is, the hernia didn't come from any crazy exercise, I think it just happened.

Equipoise
4/06/2005 5:25pm,
Okay, I'm handing you the proverbial hand grenade. Why are you opposed to weights? Now... if it's someting utterly stupid such as "lifting weights makes you slow and tight", I'm going to pull that pin. If it's not, you'll have averted the Idiot War and I'm sure many Bullshido members will be calmed.

As for my surgery. I've had no occurence of tearing of the Abdomen. For a while afterwards, I was careful as the area felt tight under heavy abdominal specific exercises.

johnny runner
4/06/2005 6:25pm,
No, I don't like lifting weights because they're heavy. No philosophy, no factoid I read in some sports magazine. It just feels like work. I don't like to work. The concept eludes me. I pick up weights and then I just put them down. Right where I found them. Seems stupid to me.

So you can hand me all the hand grenades you like, but if they're heavy I'm not taking them. I do weights sometimes, but I'm mostly referring to calisthetics when I say "weight training". Sorry, I'm sure that's a big difference to many people.

Equipoise
4/06/2005 6:43pm,
Whew.. 60 page thread on Exercise Physiology diverted...

I thought you were going to say some completely asinine reason. It's refreshing you didn't.

johnny runner
4/06/2005 6:53pm,
Just wait. I'm new here.

Poop Loops
4/06/2005 8:03pm,
No, I don't like lifting weights because they're heavy. No philosophy, no factoid I read in some sports magazine. It just feels like work. I don't like to work. The concept eludes me. I pick up weights and then I just put them down. Right where I found them. Seems stupid to me.

You're thinking of it the wrong way. Weight lifting is EASY. It's just PUSHING or PULLING stuff. Sparring is hard work becuase you need to plan a strategy of some sorts and you need to keep focused, keep moving, etc, whereas in weight lifting you just push in one direction.

PL

johnny runner
4/07/2005 9:21pm,
Incidentally, about the hernia:
If you get one, expect something along these lines:

Mine was Inguinal, meaning lower and on the side (about three inches and to the right of um.... "Little Johnny Runner")

Operation- Expensive. I got a short term health insurance when I first suspected a hernia and I'm still gonna have to pay close to 1-2 K

Operation took an hour, twice as long as expected.

Could NOT walk once the anesthesia finally wore off (I had to walk to the car and up the stairs to my appt) And I definitely had to be driven.

I got the stitch, not the mesh. My surgeon says this is better because it encourages the muscle to regrow and heal rather than just be patched (the patch is the semi-new technique- other posts on here talk about it in good detail)

Could not walk without help for a solid day, real slow to get up for about 3 days after the surgery. It was pretty damn painful. Peeing hurts bad.

Drugs: They gave me demeral. Painkillers are pretty easy to get physically addicted to. I got a bit of an addiction to it within three days of being on it. When I ran out, my whole body hurt and I was cranky, but I wasn't in too bad shape- but I did feel the addiction.

And as I'm discussing on this board, I'm looking at having walking be my primary exercise for six weeks after my op.

The point is, this is called "minor surgery" and dammit, it sure didn't frickin feel minor.