PDA

View Full Version : The possibility for something going drastically wrong is very high

Pages : [1] 2 3

tkdan28
4/05/2005 7:13pm,
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=718&e=6&u=/ap/20050404/ap_on_re_us/border_volunteers

You want to go down to the border and help patrol? Or will having too many gun happy white guys make the situation worse?

Could this be a Phil thread?

Note to self... need SOUTHWEST tag.

Nid
4/05/2005 7:26pm,
I think it's a fine idea.

Chris.B
4/05/2005 7:27pm,
It could be like...the new community service thing.

Knightmare
4/05/2005 8:14pm,
Extreme Hide and Seek!!!

beka
4/05/2005 9:54pm,
Vanguards have been a huge problem for years, particularly in Arizona. I'm surprised it's actually being reported in a popular news source. I used to read about it all the time in the Revolutionary Worker, the newspaper published by the Revolutionary Communist Party. It was a good paper for getting hard to find unpopular news bits. It was just written in such a terribly biased manner that I didn't really feel compelled to keep reading it.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

punchingdummy
4/05/2005 10:22pm,
Having spent some time actually patrolling that border in Arizona, I have mixed emotions.

On the one hand, there is little hope of significantly improving security in that area by relying on federal resources alone. The idea of citizen volunteers creating a militia of sorts to assist with the security of this country is consistent with our greatest traditions.

HOWEVER, having unarmed civilians patrolling that area just isn't wise...**** happens out there. Having a bunch of armed citizens, with questionable training, creates a other set of potential problems. It's a recipe for a bad incident and somebody getting killed when they need not. The fact that some of thier activities may actually be hindering federal surveillence efforts certainly does not solve the problem.

Olorin
4/05/2005 11:41pm,
[QUOTE=tkdan28 Or will having too many gun happy white guys make the situation worse? [/QUOTE]

I happen to be a gun happy white guy!

But in all seriousness if the federal and state government were doing their job private citizens would not turn themselves into border agents. In addition, the United States needs immigration to maintain a positive birth rate and fuel the economy. Nevertheless, It should be legal immigration. We should expand the worker visa program and the citizenship programs to reflect the realities of immigration. Let as many people come as are coming now, just make it legal, so people can take a bus across the border, so we can know who is coming and going, and so we can stop dangerous border crossings for people who just want create a better life for themselves and their families.

Zendetta
4/05/2005 11:47pm,
THis is bad news - viglantes don't usually make the world a better place.

Illegal immigration is a big deal; both the left and the rights' attitudes seem like recipes for disaster to me. Better minds than I are gonna have to attend to this problem.

Back to the vigilantes... I can only speculate on their real motivations. Some, I'm sure are concerned about the Government's slack response to a dire problem. I also strongly suspect that some want an excuse to pack heat and feel badazz.

I think there is a good chance that someone is going to get hurt - although its a big desert so we may not hear about it.

Beka - whats a nice girl like you doing reading commie newspapers? Do you live in Berkeley or something?

beka
4/06/2005 12:45am,
Olorinii-

How DARE you make sense!!

Zendetta-

*sigh*
I was 17 and it was summer break. I needed a job. I applied at all the typical coffee shops and bookstores and clothing stores and all that... but no one was hiring me because I lacked experience (particularly cash register experience... HELLO IT IS PUSHING BUTTONS. IF HIGH SCHOOL DROPS OUTS CAN DO IT, I THINK I CAN). So? How does one get experience? By working. But you don't get hired, for lack of experience. So, you need to find a job to get experience. But, they won't hire you, and so goes the job inexperience circle...

But! A little bookstore in Berkeley was all-volunteer run. Of course they wouldn't turn me down! I was eager to get work experience, so I signed right up. Little did I know that they were militant revolutionaries. And totally weird. I'm all about being progressive, but picking up guns and shooting people for communist ideals? It wasn't my thing... After that summer I vanished. They don't have my current phone number, but they do still call my friends looking for me. They want me in their party. And I will have none of it. :occasion1

grond
4/06/2005 10:45am,
Armed communist insurgents running a bookstore? That's awesome.

Did they actually have guns or just talk about getting some?

Bizzaro Root
4/06/2005 11:37am,
Vanguards have been a huge problem for years, particularly in Arizona. I'm surprised it's actually being reported in a popular news source. I used to read about it all the time in the Revolutionary Worker, the newspaper published by the Revolutionary Communist Party. It was a good paper for getting hard to find unpopular news bits. It was just written in such a terribly biased manner that I didn't really feel compelled to keep reading it.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

so your a communist

Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
4/06/2005 11:41am,
get back on topic. if you want to besmirch beka's political inclinations, do it in PMs or trollshido or something. and it's "you're," not "your." and punctuation is... well, it's just nice, that's all.

Feryk
4/06/2005 11:49am,
get back on topic. if you want to besmirch beka's political inclinations, do it in PMs or trollshido or something. and it's "you're," not "your." and punctuation is... well, it's just nice, that's all.

You are starting to take this Admin thing wayy too seriously, man.

Let the self appointed Grammar Nazi's deal with this.

If beka's a commie, don't anyone tell RedElvis!

Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
4/06/2005 11:54am,
ignore the admin thing. i would've posted the same message regardless of my posting status.

Mr. Mantis
4/06/2005 11:56am,
You are starting to take this Admin thing wayy too seriously, man.

Let the self appointed Grammar Nazi's deal with this.

If beka's a commie, don't anyone tell RedElvis!

Sounds to me like he's just doing his job, man. These boards need to have the **** cleared from them.

On topic: I have advocated that all illegals attempting to enter the counrty should be shot on sight, and their bodies left to rot in the hot sun as a warning to the others.

punchingdummy
4/06/2005 2:14pm,
The thing that everyone needs to keep in mind about that border is that there is a lot more going on down there than simply some illegals looking to come to the US for work. Some of those people are muling narcotics, weapons, and who knows what other contraband. Throw in some Mexican gov't types who have been rumored to cross into US territory, an indian reservation which sit on both sides of the border, a poor economic environment for people who live on both sides adjacent to the border, some US agents wandering around in the dark each night chasing people, and a group or marginally trained (if trained) volunteer types and all you need are some cameras to capture the action.