PDA

View Full Version : Kyokushin

Pages : [1] 2

Akurra
4/05/2005 2:05pm,
http://www.kyokushinus.com/

That is the website to a school nearby. Has anyone ever heard of the sensei or know anything about the dojo? I'm going to try to check it out later this week. It seems that their dojo took 1st place in heavyweight full contact and superheavyweight full contact in the "4th Kyokushin challenge" in Ellensburg, WA. Anybody have some info to add?

charmin
4/05/2005 2:10pm,
I think they need to put more Java on the front page.

Ronin
4/05/2005 2:11pm,
That is the fattest kyokushin BB I have ever seen.

pauli
4/05/2005 2:49pm,
that's a terrible thing to say about mas oyama.

Ronin
4/05/2005 2:50pm,
that's a terrible thing to say about mas oyama.

:icon_pale

CanucKyokushin
4/05/2005 6:54pm,
Although I would never have EVER questioned the validity of a Kyokushin instructor! Iím sure no one would ever believe that this could happen. Especially, in such a respected Karate style But I have to say that this guy's background in questionable. I have never seen anyone move from one style to another so often and move up the Dan grades so high .Kyokushin, then TKD and then kyokushin .Goes back to TKD and return's back to kyokushin and somehow he finds the time to join the Enshin organisation.

Since the death of Sosai Oyama, the International Karate Organisation has broken up into 4 separate groups. No one talks to each other and there have been a lot of insults and accusations flying left and right for the last 10 years.

However, because of all the splinter groups that have been established, I guess itís possible that one bad teacher has made it passed all of the scrutiny that is needed for dan grading.

Just go for yourself to check out his Bio, if you haven't already. I will say it's odd.

Not that there is any question as to the success of his team of fighters. But, everyone has to understand just how small his splinter group is. So when they arrive at a tournament, the number of participants is usually very small.

So Akurra why donít you go check it out for yourself and tell us about there training. I do hope they are as serious about the spirit of Karate as Sosai Oyama intended it to be.

patfromlogan
4/05/2005 7:08pm,
I'd bet a new gi that this guy is legit. Recognized names in his quest log and unless he's lying, he's the real (albeit large) thing.

Go kick him and see if he folds.

Ronin
4/06/2005 6:53am,
Although I would never have EVER questioned the validity of a Kyokushin instructor! Iím sure no one would ever believe that this could happen. Especially, in such a respected Karate style But I have to say that this guy's background in questionable. I have never seen anyone move from one style to another so often and move up the Dan grades so high .Kyokushin, then TKD and then kyokushin .Goes back to TKD and return's back to kyokushin and somehow he finds the time to join the Enshin organisation.

Since the death of Sosai Oyama, the International Karate Organisation has broken up into 4 separate groups. No one talks to each other and there have been a lot of insults and accusations flying left and right for the last 10 years.

However, because of all the splinter groups that have been established, I guess itís possible that one bad teacher has made it passed all of the scrutiny that is needed for dan grading.

Just go for yourself to check out his Bio, if you haven't already. I will say it's odd.

Not that there is any question as to the success of his team of fighters. But, everyone has to understand just how small his splinter group is. So when they arrive at a tournament, the number of participants is usually very small.

So Akurra why donít you go check it out for yourself and tell us about there training. I do hope they are as serious about the spirit of Karate as Sosai Oyama intended it to be.

I went from Kyokushin to TKD, got my BB in TKD and then went back to Kyokushin.
I know many people who have done that same, MANY cross train in MT for example.
As for the Enshin thing, well there was a time that, as long as you were a Kyokushin BB, Enshin and Ashihara would take you on in a snap, not anymore, though being a BB in Kyokushin certainly makes it alot easier to join the Enshin and Ashihara organizations.

Janeiro
4/06/2005 4:55pm,
typically how long would it take to get a BB in kyokushin?

Honor
4/06/2005 5:07pm,
typically how long would it take to get a BB in kyokushin?

2 minutes to drive to the martial arts supply store

CanucKyokushin
4/06/2005 7:51pm,
**** you !

2 minutes to drive to the martial arts supply store

But, to answer the first post.If the student feels he/she is ready to go and pass for the BB. It could take generally 4 to 5 years.Typically, I have heard of people taking there bloody time and doing it in 7 to 9 years.

CanucKyokushin
4/06/2005 7:59pm,
I went from Kyokushin to TKD, got my BB in TKD and then went back to Kyokushin.
I know many people who have done that same, MANY cross train in MT for example.
As for the Enshin thing, well there was a time that, as long as you were a Kyokushin BB, Enshin and Ashihara would take you on in a snap, not anymore, though being a BB in Kyokushin certainly makes it alot easier to join the Enshin and Ashihara organizations.

There was a time when Black belts would put on a white belt to show there humbleness to there new Sensei when they begin there training in a new Dojo or style. I guess no-one bothers with that tradition anymore.

ojgsxr6
4/06/2005 9:22pm,
Is Enshin Karate good? I just found one 45 minutes from me.

patfromlogan
4/06/2005 9:34pm,
There was a time when Black belts would put on a white belt to show there humbleness to there new Sensei when they begin there training in a new Dojo or style. I guess no-one bothers with that tradition anymore.

Well that is another thing entirely and the "no one bothers" stuff is uncalled for. It depends on how traditional and how formal an instructor feels like being. Like are you going to a split off of the same style? Or are you a split off going to the main branch? In some schools the intructors don't charge fees for their own or other styles bbs, and expect them to contribute to the classes. I've been told to wear black when I was wearing white and told to wear white when I was wearing black. The tradition in Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo is to honor whatever belt you've earned anywhere, in Kyokushin you'd wear white, period, though as a visiting bb it's ok to wear black in a dojo. In Universal Kempo you'd wear white, and in Kajukenbo I wore black black and Meex said they went easy on me anyway...

And it's their, not there!!! So there. Like they're a bunch of kk bbs in there and they're thinking of kissing their Sensei butt.

patfromlogan
4/06/2005 9:36pm,
Is Enshin Karate good? I just found one 45 minutes from me.

Search, use search...

Enshin is an offshot of Ashihara Karate, which is an off shot of Kyokushin.
Joko Ninomya was the creator and it is a system that advocates full contact sparring and the use of "tai-sabaki" ( usually just called Sabaki), which means "body movement", in other words they love to go the the oppoents blind spot and beat the **** out of them from there, with low kicks, reverse punches, hooks, spinning hook kicks, etc.
In the Sabaki tournamenst you are allowed to grab, sweep and throw ( no ground work), and you get points even if you doen't follow up with a strike ( as long as the throw/sweep was effective).
It is full contact with no-contact to the face with fists, though in the first ones you could elbow the head/face, I don't know if that has changed.

Enshin also teaches judo throws and ground work in their curriculum.

CanucKyokushin
4/06/2005 9:57pm,
Well Excuse me!

And it's their, not there!!! So there. Like they're a bunch of kk bbs in there and they're thinking of kissing their Sensei butt.

Everything you've described I can relate. When I visited other Kyokushin schools I did not know that that sort of formality existed.Some Sensei's are cool while others you just don't want to piss-off, ever. Besides, itís not like anyone pulled me to the side and explained the proper etiquette in a dojo.

However, about a year ago .I attended a Jujitsu seminar with a visiting Sensei from Japan in as instructor. I decided to go wearing the colored belt I had at the time. A green belt as a matter of fact. When the seminar was over I regretted wearing it. I felt deep down I knew I should have worn a white belt considering that both styles are completely different from one another.