PDA

View Full Version : Striking vs. grappling

ScotchTape
4/02/2005 12:50am,
The question is: without going to a proper school/gym/etc., which skill is more likely do deteriorate quicker?

I'd say grappling, unless you have a training partner at home, you will have no one to practice on (unless you have ronin69's newly-purchased Mr. Hankey doll). And even then, you lack the amount of mat-time with people of different skill and level. And with striking, even though you lack a sparring partner, you can at least keep your skills with regular bag work and keep those kicks fresh with adequate stretching and bag-work.

The problem is, I have to give up one for the other. There's a BJJ school I can go to or, a bunch of different MT/Boxing classes. Taking both BJJ and something else seems impossible right now with my time schedule and budget. It seems like I just answered my own question but I'd like to hear other peoples' thoughts/opinion on this.

PeedeeShaolin
4/02/2005 1:30am,
I've practiced striking arts for many many years and I think its the striking that will fall to **** before grappling.

Grappling is fairly easy and naturally places you very close to your opponent where he hopefully doesn't have the reach to generate enough power to hurt you.

Striking requires alot of practice in order to keep up your timing, distance, power, and your body conditioned for hard contact.

Even after a long layoff a fairly competant grappler can utilize the clinch to avoid the haymakers you see in most streetfights.

ScotchTape
4/02/2005 2:50am,
Would you say that the lack of sparring/fighting is what makes the striking fall to ****? I can keep my striking viable to a point with conditioning on off-days, but if I take BJJ I won't be able to spar as much as I would want to.

lifetime
4/02/2005 4:28am,
There's no substitute for sparring so far as striking is concerned. You can work on timing, flexibility, strength, combinations and everything by yourself, but when it comes down to putting them all together, it's difficult. You need to get used to gauging distances and controlling movement and such in striking; working on a heavy bag won't help you a whole lot, in my opinion. A heavy bag is there for you to polish skills and improve techniques in your "off hours" and to help you maintain your edge. Even if you're regularly training, if you don't spar for even two weeks you're going to notice a marked drop in performance.

Liffguard
4/03/2005 10:44am,
I'd say that yes, whilst sparring is very important for striking it's even more so for grappling. You can train striking to a very limited extent with bags, shadow boxing etc. but without sparring it's just about impossible to train grappling. Scotch tape, when you say you won't be sparring as much as you'd like, how much are we talking about here?

ScotchTape
4/03/2005 1:41pm,
If I could spar as much as I wanted to, it'd be 4 times a week.

But, I'll probably be sparring once or twice every two weeks.

Liffguard
4/03/2005 2:26pm,
And you don't have anyone else you can spar with outside of classes?

access1denied
4/03/2005 3:03pm,
Buy three or four pairs of 16 oz. gloves and headgear, and start a fight club. I remember doing this a few months ago, and I got quite a few fights in between my friends and their friends. They're not quite legal in some places, so don't go doing it right away lol.

Red Elvis
4/03/2005 3:07pm,
You just violated rule #1! You don't talk about Fight Club.

:eusa_doh:

Lights Out
4/03/2005 3:55pm,
Assuming that you donŽt do MMA for aliving, stick to which you enjoy most.

Altrough your skills may suffer from the lack of sparring, whenever youŽll be able to get back to it, youŽll notice it takes you less time to get to the point were you left it.

Spunky
4/03/2005 4:39pm,
I've known people who've "practiced" their locks and holds on a nicely starched gi or some kind of training dummy too. It might help sort some things out in your mind, but it's hardly a subsitute for a live training partner, as is a punching bag for striking.

Personally, I think that trying to practice striking on your own is much more susceptible to degressing into martial masturbation because there are so many variables involved, and its easy to start imagining unrealistic effects. Success hinges on timing and positioning, I would say on a much more subtle scale than groundfighting, and in my experience its much harder to stay cool in any kind of standup. Anyway, the best punch in the world is useless if you don't know how to get to a place to use it.

leavittk
4/03/2005 4:53pm,
I think it is difficult to train strikes and grappling by yourself period. Because of my location and profession, I have had to spend a great deal of time training by myself. While it has not been a waste of time and there have been many benefits in developing strength, coordination, and the like, there is nothing like training with a partner.

It is also difficult to train with just one partner. You quickly learn each other and learn how to fight the other person. I find it best to fight many people of varying skill levels and styles, that is the best way to can both breadth and depth of experience.