PDA

View Full Version : Do You Smell Bullshido?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

jaychiu
3/19/2005 10:36am,
So I was checking a friend's Xanga page (yeah, I know - don't ask) when I saw a comment by someone that had my Bullshido dectector going off. I then clicked on this person's page and got more information. He posted this:

The other day, on Monday, I asked one of my Hapkido instructors about what I had to do to belt test. He smiles and says that if I was thinking of testing this coming Friday, that I would have to pay a late fee on top of the testing fee. In my head I am thinking, "I guess this is one of those things that's just floating in the Dojeung air, and I was supposed to catch it. Yeah, catch it! Right between my basic defense drill and the last big "Kiyup!"' So I was about to step up, requesting that I don't pay the fee because no one had told me, and it was my first test. EDIT: it's $60 to test with a $20 late fee, on top of the monthly fee for classes. Let's not forget, as you get better.....you no longer want to wear the cheaper GI (uniform) that you buy when you start. It just feels different when you are sparring (that's the simplest way to explain that ). The state of mind I was in, quickly became one of, 'This whole experience is a big money making machine'. The thought of it, still makes me fume, but a classmate convinced me, it was not worth being aggravated about. I won't be testing this friday, but I will commit myself to 2 more weeks of stricter training.

Now I think I smell Bullshido but I don't know this person at all, where he trains, etc.

Do you think I should say something to a complete stranger? What would you people do here? How would you approach it?

I'm all for stopping Bullshido but to contact strangers and tell them they're in a McDojo...is that going too far?

relytjj
3/19/2005 10:40am,
He did post this text on the internet so he must expect that strangers are going to read it. I don't think it would be out of line to send him an e-mail. If it were me, I would at least link him to this site.

grond
3/19/2005 10:40am,
You could tell him that many, many martial arts schools have been known to use shady business practices like that solely to make money. Or send him a link to bullshido.

Just be polite about it, can't hurt to try.

jaychiu
3/19/2005 1:01pm,
I'm not very familar with Hapkido or most traditional arts - is this standard practice?

Late fee for testing? Beginner gi's and advanced gi's?

Is there really anything wrong with a school making money this way?

It is Fake
3/19/2005 1:17pm,
It doesn't matter what art. When late fees start being assessed for anything but your monthly dues it is suspect.

BlackFyre
3/19/2005 1:18pm,
I have NEVER heard of a "late fee" for promotion testing, and the uniform is NOT called a "gi" in Korean systems, it is called a "doback" (My spelling might be a bit off)...a small point but perhaps a significant one. A Korean system would NOT be using Japanese terminology. As for the type of uniform worn during promotion testing, it makes no difference as long as it's the basic white uniform, is clean, and in relatively good condition.

Poop Loops
3/19/2005 1:59pm,
His Gi comment baffles me. First, in Hapkido, a Korean style, should it not be a Dobhok? Second, I think I'd find it way cooler to beat the **** out of someone who spent $500 on clothes over the years, when I've only spent my initial $70 or so. It's like being a white belt and beating the **** out of a blackbelt. I can't imagine anything cooler. Maybe if I was getting a blowjob while doing it, but that would get messy.

PL

Xango
3/19/2005 2:29pm,
In Judo it isn't uncommon to buy a single-weave first and then buy a double-weave, perhaps a reversible or a blue gi as time goes by, for competition use.

Doesn't sound like that's the point here, though. Point him towards our site; perhaps say someone like "Sadly, many martial arts instructors engage in business practices that can only be described as shady, and Hapkido/TKD does not have the best reputation in this regard. You might consider visiting bullshido.net; I have found their insight valuable to my own training" or something neutral like that.

Feryk
3/19/2005 3:37pm,
I started with a cheaper Gi (about $60 bucks). After a year, I bought a better one ($100). Our advanced students all have them, but no one MADE you buy one.

The better gi's feel more comfortable, more solid, AND they hold together better if we're grappling. It was just a good investment.

However, if this place has a new uniform for each different level, well, then that smells bad.

The late fee is stupid also, imo. :icon_cycl

IzzyDaHedgehog
3/19/2005 3:44pm,
I have NEVER heard of a "late fee" for promotion testing, and the uniform is NOT called a "gi" in Korean systems, it is called a "doback" (My spelling might be a bit off)...a small point but perhaps a significant one. A Korean system would NOT be using Japanese terminology. As for the type of uniform worn during promotion testing, it makes no difference as long as it's the basic white uniform, is clean, and in relatively good condition.

Last time I saw it written, it was Romanized as "dobahk," but Korean sounds aren't expressed well by the Latin alphabet.

BlackFyre
3/19/2005 4:17pm,
I knew it was something like that. Thanks bro.

Poop Loops
3/19/2005 4:18pm,
In Judo it isn't uncommon to buy a single-weave first and then buy a double-weave, perhaps a reversible or a blue gi as time goes by, for competition use.

Doesn't sound like that's the point here, though. Point him towards our site; perhaps say someone like "Sadly, many martial arts instructors engage in business practices that can only be described as shady, and Hapkido/TKD does not have the best reputation in this regard. You might consider visiting bullshido.net; I have found their insight valuable to my own training" or something neutral like that.

Yeah, but better Gi's are simply better for competition. They have a practical use. Getting it for the sole purpose of being in a clique is stupid. Guys in my BJJ class have different color and quality Gi's, but we're never forced to buy a type of Gi. When I first started BJJ, I didn't know which Gi to buy (competition or single), and my instructor said I'd be fine with the single.

And the different Dobhoks aren't that different from what I've seen. In TKD, the difference between a regular and Black Belt Dobhok is that the BB one has a black collar. That's it. Retarded.

PL

BlackFyre
3/19/2005 4:29pm,
I Myself prefer a mix/match of black and white for demonstrations and tournaments, and the basic instructor's uniform for classes and testing. That's just My preference, however.

CanucKyokushin
3/19/2005 6:27pm,
[QUOTE=jaychiu] The state of mind I was in quickly became one of, 'This whole experience is a big money making machine'. The thought of it, still makes me fume, but a classmate convinced me, it was not worth being aggravated about. I won't be testing this Friday, but I will commit myself to 2 more weeks of stricter training. QUOTE]

It seems like he's on his way to figuring out very soon just one kind of school he's in.Eventualy he'll understand the differance between a good school and a bad one.But I have to give him credit for not giving up so easily.I just find it funny that this guy has no idea we're talking about his future in Martial Arts.I can just imagine him right know standing in his Dojang swearing in his head about the contract he must have signed while people are chatting about him .

Wounded Ronin
3/19/2005 6:38pm,
Actually, a black collar sounds like a great idea to me. It won't show sweat stains from all those workouts. :p

Anthracis
3/19/2005 7:17pm,
My Verdict = Bullshido!

I agree with the majority here. Someone should give him a link to this site . :hiding: