PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Martial Arts

Pages : [1] 2

Te(V)plar
3/13/2005 6:50am,
Someone I know is asking if this place is good:
http://www.cobramartialarts.com.au

I havent scoped out their lessons or anything but I'm majorly sketched out by that website. Their "media" section is a bunch of photoshopped newspapers.

Here's a breakdown of their credentials:
http://www.cobramartialarts.com.au/instrdetail.php?i=1craig

Cobra Chief Instructor

Qualifications:
Black Belt (5th Dan) Cobra Martial Arts
Black 2nd Dan Muay Thai Kickboxing
Black Belt Taekwondo
Black Belt Karate
Black Belt Eskrima / Weapons

Other Qualifications:
BBus. Info. Systems
Dip. Fitness Instructor
Senior First Aid
First of all, that's a pretty tall order there. His 2nd Dan in Muay Thai Kickboxing is absolute bullshit. They dont give fucking belts/ranks in Muay Thai!!!!!! I dont know if they even use belts in Eskrima either. Christ. And wtf is this ****, Cobra Martial arts is its own MA style? lol, that's rich.

http://www.cobramartialarts.com.au/instrdetail.php?i=2aubrey

Physiotherapist

Qualifications:
4th Dan Freestyle Martial Arts
State Fighter - Muay Thai
3 years Taekwondo
5 years Brazilian Ju Jitsu

Other Qualifications:
BSc. Physiotherapy
Sports Trainer Diploma
Acupuncture
Crowd Controller Licence

More bullshit. Wtf is Freestyle MA and how do I gain a 4th Dan in it? 3 years of TKD, who gives a ****? I know children with more experience. 5 years of BJJ?! Wtf does that mean, he could've gone to a seminar once a year and claim that. I dont see him on BJJ.org; that doesnt mean he might not be legit, but if this guy is the kind of BJJ guy you damn well better know something about, he's more likely to be there than not. However, MMA.tv has no record of him even competing in BJJ tournaments.

http://www.cobramartialarts.com.au/instrdetail.php?i=3gavin

Martial Arts Instructor

Qualifications:
2nd Dan Black Belt Freestyle Martial Arts
1st Degree Black Muay Thai

Other Qualifications:
Gym Instructor Diploma
Senior First Aid
More bullshit. There is no such thing as a Muay Thai BB.

http://www.cobramartialarts.com.au/instrdetail.php?i=4oliver

Martial Arts Instructor

Qualifications:
Pro-Black Belt Freestyle Martial Arts

Other Qualifications:
Gym Instructor Diploma
Senior First Aid
Wtf is a pro-black belt freestyle MA? What competitions has he been in? Sherdog AND MMA.tv has no information on this "pro" fighter's record.

The pics leave me to believe they do no real hard training. Those uniforms they have would get torn to shreds if they grapple the way I do. Their website is LOADED with buzzwords, and is trying to cash in on the MMA craze. All the little movie nights and xmas parties wreak of kiddy bullshit (but that isnt a deal breaker, they need to appeal to kiddies too).

Overrall, there is a high chance this place is total bullshit. That being said, the only way to know for sure is to show up and see how the class is (and the price they ask).

Reikon
3/13/2005 7:07am,
Kali doesn't have belts that I know of, however some systems have recently adopted them. I think a few Modern Arnis schools, etc.

Not to mention "Dan" is Japanese, so you'd think if these systems had their own rankings they'd use the native terms rather than adopting them from another culture by which has nothing to do with their martial art.

I think I might e-mail them asking how they attained "Dan" ranks in styles without ranks, and inquiring about what style Escrima/Karate/etc they study...I live no where near AUS tho

SaveAHeathen
3/13/2005 8:15am,
"Cobra" martial arts?

As in "the snake"?

The word cobra is often used as the most famous sysnonymfor the entire species of snakes.

Know of any other famous snakes?

How about the one that helped mankind doom itself to eternal damnation.

Repent and shake off the evil of the martial arts before God sins against you with wrath.

El-Wood
3/13/2005 8:31am,
When you e-mail them tell them you are working for GIJoe and are sending Duke and Scarlett over - that should get their attention.

oni
3/13/2005 8:50am,
they offer grades (armbands) in some muay thai places in the uk, but its definately not a damn dan grade

Reikon
3/13/2005 3:09pm,
Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about your classes?

I have a few questions:

While skimming through your instructor credentials, I noticed that your main instructor has a 2nd Dan grading in Muay Thai, and a Black Belt in Escrima. My experiance with these martial arts is that they have no rank systems, or at least no belt systems, and certainly not Japanese belt systems from which the "Dan" grade arises. Could you inform me where/from whom he attained such ranks?

I was also wondering what rank the instructor with 5 years of BJJ is, and wanted to know what styles of Escrima and Karate were taught there.

Thanks,

T.
Emailed them that ^^^ i'll post the reply if i get one.

Gypsy Jazz
3/13/2005 3:30pm,
Nice job Reikon.

The site looks overall pretty terrible, but there are a few glimmers of hope. One of the instructor's pictures has a shot of them punching at some one else presumably in a ring. It could mean they were playing glove tag, he was fighting in a match of some sort or they were sparring. Another thing is that they sell protective gear, but not point just point sparring gloves/gear. That could really mean anything, but selling boxing gloves makes me think they use boxing gloves.

I'm curious to find out how this place actually is.

Senshi
3/13/2005 4:59pm,
First of all, that's a pretty tall order there. His 2nd Dan in Muay Thai Kickboxing is absolute bullshit. They dont give fucking belts/ranks in Muay Thai!!!!!!

There are a few organisations that I know of in Australia that utilize a ranking system within their Muay Thai classes, these being:

Blitz Muay Thai: Denote their ranks/levels by the use of colored singlets, unsure if they use any other qualifiers in their system.

Bulldog Muay Thai: Denote their ranks/levels by the use of colored singlets, unsure if they use any other qualifiers in their system.

BJC Muay Thai: Denote their ranks/levels by the use of colored singlets, use degrees as opposed to Dan to denote level of rank.

In USA:

Master Toddy’s US Muay Thai Center: Utilizes a Jacket to denote Assist Instructor/Instructor the Instructor also gets a 'Belt'.

In UK:

Chao Phraya Muay Thai Academy: Use coloured Pratchia as a symbol of their stature, where each colour represents their level of achievement.

These are a few that I could find just surfing the www, I am reasonably sure that there are many more organisations around the world that do the same.

I think it's just way that the 'western' mind works that some ppl just need a way to guage their lvl of learning by a visual representation.

BTW I am not associated with Cobra MA in any way, I just thought I'd clarify a statement made by Te(V)plar.

:wave:

luckylukster
3/13/2005 11:48pm,
Te(v)plar - you could refer your friend to another WA based outfit. There is a Machado BJJ academy in WA run by Adam Metcalf (do a similar range of activities). Check out: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com.au/index.php

Maestro Nobones
3/14/2005 12:07am,
come on, you KNOW you wanna learn to fight from THIS GUY!!!

http://www.cobramartialarts.com.au/instructors/1craig/cr8.jpg

jhearne
3/14/2005 12:08am,
He could certainly teach you to protect yourself from Lilliputians made of stone.

Knightmare
3/14/2005 12:31am,
His muay thai black belt could be from someones personal system that is heavily muay thai.

Example. My school teaches kickboxing. It has its own personal name and awards belts. Most of the students say, I have a red belt in kickboxing instead of I have a red belt in such and such's system. Why? Because it sounds better when you have a belt of an entire style that is well known as opposed to a system that is not. I hope you understand what I am saying.

Te(V)plar
3/14/2005 12:57am,
How do the Muay Thai folk generally feel about people claiming they have belts in Muay Thai?

Te(V)plar
3/14/2005 1:01am,
Te(v)plar - you could refer your friend to another WA based outfit. There is a Machado BJJ academy in WA run by Adam Metcalf (do a similar range of activities). Check out: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com.au/index.php
Thank you very much. I referred him. Ill see how he responds.

Poop Loops
3/14/2005 2:04am,
come on, you KNOW you wanna learn to fight from THIS GUY!!!

http://www.cobramartialarts.com.au/instructors/1craig/cr8.jpg

I think he tripped.

PL

Zeddy
3/14/2005 2:55am,
How do the Muay Thai folk generally feel about people claiming they have belts in Muay Thai?

Though I don't have a belt in muay thai, at one time I was considered to have an "orange belt" in vale tudo. Of course this is ridiculous, but some clubs have the dollars for the money, to put it simply. Hopefully the material will be up to scratch.

Thankfully my school abandoned the belts when it became clear no one really wanted any.

I think he tripped.

Don't you hate it when people leave old construction junk lying around on the dojo floor?