PDA

View Full Version : Are there no good chop socky RPGs?

Pages : [1] 2

Wounded Ronin
3/12/2005 1:20am,
Is it just me, or are there no good chop socky/martial arts RPGs out? I think there needs to be some RPG system that simulates a good old rollicking violent early Bruce Lee film, where you can howl with oriental rage and kick someone into a buzz saw due to your better kungfu.

Maybe I might try my hand at writing one, if there truly are none.

Poop Loops
3/12/2005 1:25am,
I hate how most RPG's these days are the overly linear Japanese ones. I WANT D&D BASED RPGS DAMMIT!!!

The worst part is people LOVE the Japanese ones. :(

I mean, I've played most of the FF series, Chrono Trigger, some others, but I still like Baldur's Gate more.

PL

Mr. Mantis
3/12/2005 1:28am,
Jade Empire is coming!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3/12/2005 2:45am,
If you have a PS2, get either Way of the Samurai. The games are pretty short, maybe about two hours to beat the first and the second can be slightly longer, but there's multiple storylines (six for the first, fourteen for the second), and the fighting and sword upgrading should keep you for a while. I still play them every now and then despite having done just about everything.

The best part is that you're given the freedom to do mostly anything, including cornhole peasants and run out on the bills for things you've purchased.

Otherwise I can't think of any games that fit what you're looking for.

chaosexmachina
3/12/2005 6:18am,
I think he meant tabletop RPGs, as he said he'd try and WRITE ONE.

Psycho Dad
3/12/2005 10:20am,
Never played either system (since I could never find a group for one) but there's Feng-Shui and Exatled for the pen and paper ones.

Btw, Poop-Loops, you don't play PC RPG's do you?

Kayne
3/12/2005 11:03am,
I think Feng Shui! was like a Hong Kong cinema type RPG, so it would probably have some MA in it.

Here's a link! (http://www.atlas-games.com/fengshui/)

And if you did write a fighting RPG, what other stuff would it have in it? I mean, a decent H2H combat simulator is one thing, but what would be the rest of the game? Would it be turn based, a tried and true, but somewhat unrealistic way of doing it, or would it have some brilliant new sort of action sorter-outerer system?

EDIT: wow my signature's back!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3/12/2005 11:53am,
I think he meant tabletop RPGs, as he said he'd try and WRITE ONE.

If he's not going to be more specific than "RPG" , then I'm going to suggest anything that meets that description.

Poop Loops
3/12/2005 1:48pm,
Never played either system (since I could never find a group for one) but there's Feng-Shui and Exatled for the pen and paper ones.

Btw, Poop-Loops, you don't play PC RPG's do you?

I do. I've switched almost entirely to PC's now (Except for MGS on GC/PS2). I have BG, BG2, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale 2, Morrowind, Diablo 2 (bleah....)

Is there anything else out there that's GOOD? Dungeon Siege can kiss my ass. The game practically plays itself.

PL

xodus2
3/12/2005 3:11pm,
shenmue I & II are regarded as 2 of the best console games ever - and they are chop socky rpgs

Poop Loops
3/12/2005 4:19pm,
Japanese RPGs are retarded. Say you're a gang member. Will the game end with you defending your turf against the last challengers as you reign supreme in the city? No. You'll be on mars saving the world from the grand dragon under the guidance of the supreme magic counsel or some ****. Needless to say the dragon will have an uzi on him while you're wielding swords. What the ****?

I just don't like how you HAVE to do what you are told. I WANT TO KILL THAT SUNOVABITCH!! PICK POCKET MUTHA FUGGA!! No, I DON'T want to sneak past the guards, I want to skull **** them.

Besides, the best part of any D&D RPG is creating a new character. I can spend hours trying out new combinations, without even starting the game.

PL

Phrost
3/12/2005 4:53pm,
The Heroes system (I gamed back when I was in the Army... great way to kill time) has a ton of different styles and options listed.

I had a character who was completely invulnerable to any type of injury and did TKD... badly. Most of the time the other group members would just use him as a projectile weapon.

Sancho
3/12/2005 5:09pm,
Hong Kong Action Theater is a good one.

Dragon Fist is an Excellent one, it used to be free on the Wizards site in PDF format. You can probobly find it if you poke around enough.

You can also do a very good MA themed game with D20 modern.

White Wolf used to make a game (using their "dot d10" Vampire system) built on the Streetfighter video game. The setting was pure crap, but the book had pages upon pages for designing your fighter and his MA. It was fun just to make fighters and have them go at it.

All I remember off the top of my head.

King Hippo
3/12/2005 11:14pm,
three words...RIVER...CITY...RANSOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thaiboxerken
3/12/2005 11:24pm,
Ninjas and Superspies by Palladium Books is an excellent martial arts RPG. They have over 40 different systems listed with most of them being real systems and some are fictional. They have the martial art superpowers as well. You can even crosstrain your character.

Poop Loops
3/12/2005 11:33pm,
But some classes are un-crosstrainable right? I mean, how could you train in TKD or Hapkido AND something else? That dishonors your Master!

PL