PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this year Tae Kwon Do's 50th anniversary?

Andrew WA
3/03/2005 12:00pm,
Why isnt anyone celebrating with big tournaments and demos and throwing a nice party?

I guess most likely because everyone wants you to believe that it is actually over 2,000 years old and celebrating its 50th year would admit that it was created in only 1955. Oh well I am gunna throw a party myself.

BlackFyre
3/03/2005 3:06pm,
The style of TKD as we know it today is pretty much an integration of several ancient Korean martial arts systems...

History of TKD (http://www.blackbeltworld.com/features/history/historypage1.htm)

History 2 (http://www.tkd.net/tkdnetwork/history.html)

History 3 (http://www.barrel.net/history.php)

Andrew WA
3/03/2005 3:10pm,
Yeah okay but my point is that the name Tae Kwon Do was made in 1955 so therefore TKD is only 50 years old no matter what anyone wants to claim.

grond
3/03/2005 3:38pm,
Andrew WA can I come to your party? I'll bring some whiskey and a Jhoon Rhee-shaped pinata. Do you know any hot bitches?

Jsun102
3/03/2005 3:40pm,
ARE YOU RELATED TO ANDREW WK LOLZ

ATArevolution
3/03/2005 10:45pm,
Heh, heh...Believe it or not ATA has a 50th year anniversary tag on this year's Korea/China trip and annual Korean-hosted ATA tournament advertised on their website. (Although, I'm sure the majority of ATA students probably now think that it's ATA's 50th anniversary.) The tournament is actually a large event, though. The first year it was said to have been something like 1000 juniors-only and almost of them black belts. That was, maybe, 5 years ago.

El-Wood
3/03/2005 11:20pm,
lol, to thread jack this one I read this somewhere and looked it up on the biography page of chucknorris.com

In 1997, Chuck achieved another milestone in his life by being the first man ever in the Western Hemisphere to be awarded an 8th degree Black Belt Grand Master recognition in the Tae Kwon Do system. This was a first in 4,500 years of tradition.

I wasn't aware that 4500 years ago they used the degree/black belt rank system, my impression was it was something adopted from Judo in the early 1900's...

Said with all respect for a guy who could kick my ass without even breaking a sweat of course...

MaverickZ
3/03/2005 11:23pm,
jebus, 4500, that's kinda pushing it isn't it.

PJ
3/04/2005 5:50pm,
If what I read was true, and TKD's founder, General Choi Hong Hi went to North Korea to die when he passed on a few years back, look for that to mar the anniversary celebrations of his life's work somewhat. not that I want it to happen, home is home (and it was his home PRIOR to the Commie takeover), but with the impertinent trash and sabre-rattling going on, I can see it. :911flag:

Poop Loops
3/04/2005 8:54pm,
50 years? Feh! Tae Kwon Do began with the Big Bang. Ancient Hwarang mastes kiai'ed at the same time, CREATING the big bang in fact, and they rode the explosion with flying kicks.

PL

ATArevolution
3/05/2005 5:51am,
If what I read was true, and TKD's founder, General Choi Hong Hi went to North Korea to die when he passed on a few years back, look for that to mar the anniversary celebrations of his life's work somewhat. not that I want it to happen, home is home (and it was his home PRIOR to the Commie takeover), but with the impertinent trash and sabre-rattling going on, I can see it. :911flag:

I have not personally been to North Korea, but EGM H. U. Lee took a small demo team over about 5 or 6 years ago for goodwill taekwondo demonstrations and met with General Choi and his demo team and students there. From talking to the people who went, I had the impression that General Choi had been there for quite some time. Of course, it never occurred to me to look up that kind of information at the time--Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when and why he went back? I was under the impression that he had some political reasons either for leaving South Korea or for going to North Korea.

Andrew WA
3/05/2005 11:51am,
My name is a play off of Andrew WK, my initials are similar. I dont like his music or anything I just thought it was funny.

And I would rather have a *****'s martial arts pinata instead of joon rhee.