PDA

View Full Version : Choi Kwang Do

Pages : [1] 2

Rohaq
3/02/2005 11:11pm,
So I've just moved to a new area in the UK, and there's a Choi Kwang Do school literally a 20 walk away from me. This interests me, because apparently its roots are based in Twokwondo, and that's the last art I learned. The only other info I can find on the net is from the official organisations, and I don't trust them for an honest opinion on the art, but apparently Aesopian will laugh at me if I decide to go, but he won't say why unless I make a new thread ;)

So, opinions on Choi Kwang Do please!

Otherwise, does anyone know of any decent martial art school near Cannock, Staffordshire in the West Midlands, UK? I'm looking for a new art to learn from a decent instructor :)

Shuma-Gorath
3/02/2005 11:14pm,
Your other choice is BJJ. If you choose Choi Kwang Do I hope you die doing a 540.

TheStanMan
3/02/2005 11:17pm,
A friend of mine is a black belt in Choi. It actually originated in the Atlanta area. It has its limitations for self defense (no grappling and not too much close range work) but its a definate improvement over Tae Kwon Do. It integrates the more powerful round kick and the punches have better body mechanics.

Rohaq
3/02/2005 11:29pm,
Your other choice is BJJ. If you choose Choi Kwang Do I hope you die doing a 540.
And where can I find out info on BJJ schools? I was directed to a directory in another thread, but they had pretty much bugger all in the way of UK schools :\

Shuma-Gorath
3/02/2005 11:32pm,
And where can I find out info on BJJ schools? I was directed to a directory in another thread, but they had pretty much bugger all in the way of UK schools :\

Tell Aesopian which city you live in and he will find something for you. There should be Judo in the area if that fails.

Rohaq
3/02/2005 11:35pm,
Well, I've had bad experiences with judo (bad meaning that I think the instructor was on crack :P), but hey, I can always reconsider.

Shuma-Gorath
3/02/2005 11:36pm,
You can't get more street-applicable than crack!

Aesopian
3/02/2005 11:38pm,
I'm so fucking awesome.

http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/smmac_cannock.html

TheStanMan
3/02/2005 11:44pm,
I'm so fucking awesome.

http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/smmac_cannock.html

Your google-fu is indeed powerful.

Muay Thai + Jiu Jitsu, you can't go wrong with this Rohaq.

ravenink
3/02/2005 11:54pm,
It might have changed in the last few years, but when I checked out a Choi Kwang Do school here awhile back they did not believe in any form of sparring or resistance training and incorporate no grappling at all into their curriculum. It seemed like the retarded little brother of Ho Shin Do. (I believe the found of CKD was a HSD instructor, but I can't say for sure.)

Beneath Contempt
3/04/2005 5:27pm,
1. Choi Kwang Do was big in UK back when I was at school. I think they really went for it around 1990. Back then, there were some dudes that really could fight - but they did seem to get their dan grades awful quick. In UK, they have always sold themselves on being very fighting-applicable.

2. Holy ****, Rohaq, why does it take an American to find you a club in your own town? Five minutes on the internet would have found you something. Virtually everyone that grapples looks on SFUK (submission fighting UK) first.

Beneath Contempt
3/04/2005 5:29pm,
Actually, change that. It took me eight seconds. I typed in "Cannock" and "BJJ" into Google.

Rohaq
3/04/2005 5:57pm,
2. Holy ****, Rohaq, why does it take an American to find you a club in your own town? Five minutes on the internet would have found you something. Virtually everyone that grapples looks on SFUK (submission fighting UK) first.
I moved here last Sunday from 80 miles away, and I've never lived here before? _O

I've never looked into BJJ before, and had never heard of SFUK. Searching for BJJ and Cannock means very little; I don't know the area, Cannock is about the only town I do know, and there are countless other locations where a BJJ school could be located.

I think a better question would be why are you throwing such a pissyfit over it?

Beneath Contempt
3/05/2005 11:07am,
Look:

You've posted that you can't seem to find any BJJ schools. The only information you've given is your town (Cannock).

You obviously have access to the internet.

Someone on another continent found a school for you in your town, by typing for a few seconds. There is no reason to expect him (Aesopian) to know anything about the school other than it's name, location and the vague background of the instructor.

I could find the same information, by the same process in under ten seconds.

Now - either you are extremely lazy, or quite clueless. If you can't find a school in your own town, which it seems can be easily located in ten seconds (using tools which are readily available), it doesn't bode well for your training.

Maybe you could have posted "Thanks for the info, I was too lazy/stupid/much of a luddite to find that myself."

Rohaq
3/05/2005 8:06pm,
I don't think you get it, there are towns all over the place in the Midlands. I don't live in Cannock, I live near it, and have visited the town a total of two times. I only moved here last week and have no idea regarding the area or the facilities offered by it.

Most martial arts I checked before finding Bullshido have a central hub site updated with schools and locations. Every site I had checked for BJJ previous to this thread was either US only, or horribly outdated, so I posted here, a forum that's supposedly dedicated to sifting through the bullshit, finding decent schools amongst the masses of McDojos out there, hoping that perhaps someone had access to up to date information regarding BJJ.

I am, of course, thankful towards Aesopian; he rocks for finding this school, hard, instead of wasting time with this pathetic endeavour _O

Japan Junkie
3/13/2005 4:29am,
So I've just moved to a new area in the UK, and there's a Choi Kwang Do school literally a 20 walk away from me. This interests me, because apparently its roots are based in Twokwondo, and that's the last art I learned. The only other info I can find on the net is from the official organisations, and I don't trust them for an honest opinion on the art, but apparently Aesopian will laugh at me if I decide to go, but he won't say why unless I make a new thread ;)

So, opinions on Choi Kwang Do please!

Otherwise, does anyone know of any decent martial art school near Cannock, Staffordshire in the West Midlands, UK? I'm looking for a new art to learn from a decent instructor :)

I was around the original Choi Kwang Do founder even before he started Choi Kwang Do. I trained at the original headquarters in Georgia when he started small. He was in this country for a long time before I started in 1986 (since the early 1970s or so in Detroit, Michigan, but was teaching ITF TKD then), but I actually remember when they introduced the art of Choi Kwang Do back in 1987. The stuff we were doing was called Kwang Duk Kwan. Then it was Kwang Duk Do, and then it was Choi Kwang Do. Kwan Duk Kwan was traditional, hard-style TKD with modified ITF forms. I distinctly remember this. The founder once toured with the International ITF demo team under General Choi and left the ITF back in 1979. Also, CKD's founder did not completely start out in Tae Kwon Do. When he was 12, he started doing Kwon Bup (Korean kenpo), got to 4th dan in that, and then started ITF TKD after meeting General Choi sometime in the early 1960s I think. I think some of the circular movements and stances in CKD he developed might have also come from the Kwon Bup influence he had early; the high-kicking and spin kick techniques he obviously borrowed from TKD. He was something like a 7th dan in ITF I think; I have old footage of him doing ITF-style TKD from the 1970s (you can order the DVD at http://www.budovideos.com/shop/catalog/product_18767_Tae_Kwon_Do_Pioneers_DVD.html
). Anyway, someone also mentioned Ho Shin Do. In fact, the Ho Shin Do instructors came from Choi Kwang Do. 4 ex-CKD schools broke away and formed this system, much like a lot of other people who broke away after many CKD schools everywhere (including in England) started leaving. This includes Ho Shin Do didn't exist until 10 years ago and has essentially the same techniques as Choi Kwang Do but uses different forms, allows sparring, and does more self-defense, inside-range fighting, and grappling to a certain extent. A lot of ex-CKD instructors, before they joined CKD for awhile, had done other martial arts before joining Choi Kwang Do anyway, and some of them after leaving went back to their original system, formed their own style, or went in a completely different direction and joined entirely new organizations. A lot of them, though, carried their CKD ranks with them and so were able to start their new schools with the rank they had previously. Some breakaway schools include Pil-Sung Do, Koo Self Defense, Sim Shin Do, Modern Defense Martial Art, Hup Kwon Do, Dynamic Self-Defence. Any or all of these contain very similar elements of Choi Kwang Do, and some are nearly indistinguishable from one another, so it doesn't make any difference. Just explore what's out there. Actually, depending on the CKD school, they might also offer some grappling along with the CKD curriculum (I've heard of one CKD school that teaches WTF TKD as well).