PDA

View Full Version : New Article on Grappling some of you guys might like

Vargas
3/01/2005 4:25pm,
This is an article that addresses grappling in a realistic, very pragmatic fashion. Answers a lot of questions that guys like Wounded Ronin and Chaosexmachine have been pondering for a while now.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a

And yes, this makes me a dork. So sue me :)

bullrog
3/01/2005 7:38pm,
Yes it does.

nasty_totoro
3/01/2005 7:43pm,
This is an article that addresses grappling in a realistic, very pragmatic fashion. Answers a lot of questions that guys like Wounded Ronin and Chaosexmachine have been pondering for a while now.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a

And yes, this makes me a dork. So sue me :)

bah ... just wait till i use my 1st level Shocking Grasp on you for 1d6 damage ...

and its not the shock that you get when i grasp your peaches ...

why anyone would want to grapple in a fireball slugging world ...

Wounded Ronin
3/01/2005 11:38pm,
That's pretty awesome; it also shows that many D&D players know nothing about grappling.

I wonder if it would be feasible to make a judoka monk with the grappling rules?

feedback
3/02/2005 1:23am,
This thread saddens me so the only thing left to do is post a picture of my arm
http://oregonstate.edu/~blackd/heythatisntright1.JPG

Can Chaser
3/02/2005 1:46am,
Yes, it does make you a dork. However, you do know what a dork is?

My arm is sexier, but it goes too far around to properly fit into one photo. I'll bet mine has a better story, too. So there.

Wounded Ronin
3/02/2005 1:48am,
My arm is sexier, but it goes too far around to properly fit into one photo.

You're an orangutang!?!?!?!

feedback
3/02/2005 2:08am,
Mine doesn't even have a story, it just looks like it does :(

Psycho Dad
3/02/2005 11:19am,
You should do something about that heroin addiction.

feedback
3/02/2005 4:19pm,
STAY OUT OF MY BUSINESS MOM

lifetime
3/03/2005 3:24am,
And what the **** is that entire bit of D&D rules supposed to represent? I'm lost here, someone explain it to the rest of us that don't understand nerd speak.

Vargas
3/03/2005 7:35am,
It's just a running joke between Wounded Ronin and some of the other nerds (like me) around here. D & D folks are usually notorious for not being very, ahem, 'physical'. For them to sit and pretend to grappler using polyhedron dice when they could get off their ass, walk down the street to a dojo and 'grapple' for real has always struck me as a little bizarre. Kind of like those guys who dedicate their lives to playing Counterstrike or Rainbow 6 online when they could just join the military and actually get paid for jumping out of planes, shooting guns, blowing **** up, etc...

Just a post on a bizarre phenomenon, that's all.

lifetime
3/03/2005 8:31am,
I get the D&D nerd stuff, I just don't understand what that article is supposed to represent. Grappling rules in D&D? Uh, that's nice.

MEGALEF
3/03/2005 11:01am,
You're helpless when a foe has you in a hold, or when a foe has you pinned.

You lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) when grappling (even when it's you doing the holding), but you're not helpless. If you've been pinned (see Part Three), you have more troubles, but a pinned character isn't helpless, either.
That kinda covers the "multiple opponents" scenario. Why is there no mention of lava, broken glass and syringes?