PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Kia?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cheimison
2/20/2005 9:43am,
Thankfully all the instructors I have had the logical sense not to believe in magical energy, but all of them have emphasized a shout of some sort while executing a technique or recieving a blow. None of them have been able to explain the science to me, but it does seem to have a noticeable effect on my force when I do it. Can anyone explain to me the worth, if any, of a kia/yell/roar?

PO9
2/20/2005 9:50am,
Standard Korean autoparts. An engine, transmissions and a 10 year power train warranty.

Judah Maccabee
2/20/2005 10:04am,
A loud noise can scare the other opponent into inaction.

Exhalations and contracting the stomach muscles to do so help armor against blows.

citrus538
2/20/2005 11:12am,
Exhaling also helps you generate more power, as anyone who works out with weights can attest to.

Meex
2/20/2005 12:44pm,
and it's upposed to focus - bring all these things (the above posts) together with your 'fighting spirit' to produce the strongest strike possible for you.

And, yes, it's a Korean automobile. . .*lol

`~/

king of seals
2/20/2005 1:37pm,
http://www.markklineskarate.com/medaris/Upload%20to%20HTTP%20Server/Premiere02.html

If your serious teacher turns mcdojo and deals with something like this one above, leave AT ONCE.

The correct spelling is "kiai".

Aikido is a style that puts emphasis on breathing as a way to add power.

FighterJones
2/20/2005 3:15pm,
I don't like the TMA style of Kiaing.
I just like the way MMA'rs do it. TSS! TSS! TSS! TSS!
For a good example of why they work if you do em right, breath in and hold your breath, then make a big punch.
Now breath normally and exhale when you punch, I think it's that principle.

FighterJones
2/20/2005 3:30pm,
It still is fucking cool

Mr. Mantis
2/20/2005 3:33pm,
I'm usually too busy striking to be screaming with each individual strike. And when I get owned its more or less grunts, groans and gurgling.

MaverickZ
2/20/2005 3:48pm,
I don't like the TMA style of Kiaing.
I just like the way MMA'rs do it. TSS! TSS! TSS! TSS!
For a good example of why they work if you do em right, breath in and hold your breath, then make a big punch.
Now breath normally and exhale when you punch, I think it's that principle.

this is interesting, i've never heard of this. i was taught to make that sound/breath since i was a white belt. of course, i don't remember the reasoning i was told for it, but i remember being yelled at "Breath!"

Meex
2/20/2005 4:14pm,
poop your pants?

PeedeeShaolin
2/20/2005 4:28pm,
A kiai isa bit outdated by now isn't it?

According to the traditionalists, there were a few reasons for screaming like a ninja when confronted:

1. To startle your opponent.

2. To bring attention(and possibly help) to your situation.

3. To "bring out your ki".

...this last bit is the one I have a problem with. Maybe if they would call it "psyching yourself up" it wouldn't be so bad and just might be the truth but the whole ki/chi thing just turns it into fantasyland where I'm waiting for a fireball to come shooting out of someone's mouth.

Exhaling when you hit is always a good thing to do. Walk into any boxing gym and you'll see almost every seasoned fighter doing it.

PeedeeShaolin
2/20/2005 4:36pm,
Why is that hiss done Osiris?

Do you think its dumb?

What are the benefits and what are its negatives?

PeedeeShaolin
2/20/2005 4:45pm,
Since the original Q was posed by a noob I'll answer the "hiss" part.

I trained at Gleason's Boxing Gym in Brooklyn where you have a good number of tough boxers and really great trainers. A natural reaction when people throw a punch is to hold your breath. Its natural, but completely counter-productive and a terrible habit. Exhaling will help you to keep breathing while tightening your midsection as you hit. Pretty much any boxer you talk to will tell you it also makes it much harder for a person to knock their wind from them if they exhale sharply when they hit or when they GET hit.

http://www.balazsboxing.com/thegym/boxingbasics_heavy.htm

http://www.fightin-fit.com/Boxing_Tips.htm

http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/bronxbeat/2001/040901/boxing0409_01.html

Since a kiai or a kihop is always LOUD and supposedly brings out your ki, thus the "ki" part, I don't think a boxers exhale has anything to do with a kiai.

PeedeeShaolin
2/20/2005 4:46pm,
Whats the definition if a kihap?

I'll bet you anything there's something to do with "ki" in it......

JohnnyCache
2/20/2005 4:51pm,
Does anyone here train the opposite, IE breathing IN or holding your breath when you strike? I think we're all in agreement across styles that exhaling on the strike is the place to be, right?