PDA

View Full Version : BJJ for Dummies

Beneath Contempt
2/14/2005 5:18pm,
According to Amazon, there is a "Dummies" type book coming out on BJJ, authored by Carley Gracie and A.N. other. No cover picture or anything yet - but there is a release date.

Can this be a good thing? I don't think so.

Poop Loops
2/14/2005 5:21pm,
Aren't there "for dummies" books on EVERY subject? I don't think it'll matter. Some people will read it and get their ass beat when they try to apply it, others will read it and become interested in BJJ, possibly starting formal training, but most will just ignore it.

PL

lifetime
2/15/2005 2:12am,
To be fair, the "for dummies" and "Idiot's guide" series of books are pretty decent. The martial arts ones in particular are strictly grounded in reality and there's a fair bit of anti-McDojo and anti-Bullshido advice in there. I was actually quite surprised, seeing how mass-marketed those books are, but there you go. On the flip side, there ARE sections on running a martial arts gym and attracting students, but I do suppose that sort of thing has to be learnt somewhere.

I think a BJJ for Dummies could actually be good. Fight some of the romo-phobia, dispel some myths.

TylerDurden
2/15/2005 9:34am,
You know I tried learning BJJ from a book, but I kept losing my page when I got swept. It just doesn't work very well.

Rob Kahn
2/15/2005 1:11pm,
you cannot effectively learn BJJ from a book, no matter how well it is done. you need hands on ainstruction. A book could be a good supplemment

Greese
2/15/2005 2:04pm,
You know I tried learning BJJ from a book, but I kept losing my page when I got swept. It just doesn't work very well.
Ah, you just needed to posture.