PDA

View Full Version : Zen Day Care

PizDoff
2/12/2005 1:18am,
http://www.artofzenyoga.com/split04.jpg
http://www.artofzenyoga.com/swan-1.jpg

Garda students learn benefits of yoga techniques

BURLINGTON -- Looking back, adults may say childhood is the best time of a personís life. But growing up has many of its own stresses, from schoolwork to friends to family.

At Lake Garda School, students have been learning how to use breathing, stretching and relaxation exercises to help them cope with daily situations. Called Zen yoga, this integration of Chinese tai chi, Shanti yoga, Zen meditation, qigong and the Tao was created by author and instructor Aaron Hoopes.

Advertisement
"Itís a program Iíve developed over 20 years, studying in Japan and Australia," Hoopes said. "The body learns through active participation."

Hoopes, who has experience in martial arts, Eastern philosophy and alternative medicine, said itís important for children to learn these techniques early in their lives so that it will become a part of them as they mature.

"Once weíre old, we wonder why didnít we learn this when we were young," Hoopes said.

The children start with breathing exercises -- being conscious of inhaling and exhaling -- and stretching. Then, they move on to "animal walking," where Hoopes has them do frog hops, crab scuttles and all sorts of maneuvers to help strengthen their legs.

"They all scream and yell as they go back and forth, and have a really good time," he said.

The 30-minute session ends with relaxation, in the form of meditation.

"Itís just basically sitting down, being quiet and allowing things in the mind to settle down," Hoopes said.

Lake Garda PTA member Tania McNaboe, who brought the idea of yoga before the board, said the students get completely into the program.

"Theyíre all happy," she said. "Itís really awesome to watch. Itís cutting edge."

The simple exercises, Hoopes said, become a part of the children and can be used to calm them before tests or to stretch before a sporting event.

"They respond very well to it," he said. "Iíve really been able to fine-tune the program."

For more information about Hoopesí program, go to www.artofzenyoga.com or contact him at this address: [email protected]

http://www.bristolpress.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13938159&BRD=1643&PAG=461&dept_id=10486&rfi=6

Wow, he really demystified meditation.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2/12/2005 1:30am,
What use does balancing on pottery serve? I can understand going to the beach if you're a hippy and into nature, but pottery? Were they made by a chi master, and thus impart chi onto all those who do the splits upon them?

Zeddy
2/12/2005 1:55am,
Considering how little I learned in primary school, I guess this is a step up of sorts for the public education system.

PizDoff
2/12/2005 11:22pm,
What use does balancing on pottery serve? I can understand going to the beach if you're a hippy and into nature, but pottery? Were they made by a chi master, and thus impart chi onto all those who do the splits upon them?

Those are clearly lamp shades and he is demonstrating how light he is.