PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear your gi in public?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

beka
2/08/2005 2:51am,
I don't mean as a fashion statement (although I would like someone to create a flattering gi--I'm so self conscious), but, just being too lazy to change, so you end up wearing it while walking down the street to 7-11, or driving to the coffee place or something?

An instructor of mine once tied her gi so tight she couldn't get it off right away, so she ended up having to ride the bus in it. Of course, people hassled her left and right.

But I see these Mcdojo dorks, and they've got all their little patches and bells and whistles and all that nonsense, and they're just out and about with thier little gis on, and something about it just strikes me as odd. Am I just overly uptight about this? I just don't think it's really appropriate to wear your gi out in public, especially in a city where someone is likely to try and start a fight with you, just because they are dumb as a pile of bricks and want to prove something. The pants are one thing, but the top and the belt are another.

And especially with a white gi--wouldn't you be afraid of getting a stain on it?!

Ignorant
2/08/2005 3:04am,
lol oh man the irony,,,i got in from grocery shopping at publix earlier and there was a girl in a tkd gi walking around the isles with her cart.

Ch_an
2/08/2005 3:08am,
Would you wear your fight shorts in public? And by fight shorts I mean

http://www.martialartshop.co.uk/hunter_fight_shorts.htm

Canīt say that Iīve ever been in such a hurry that I didnīt have time to change.

JKDChick
2/08/2005 3:10am,
I've driven to class in my gi pants on occasion, but going shopping in your gi is just a desperate cry for attention.

Xango
2/08/2005 3:11am,
That would be an emphatic "no".

Moleculo
2/08/2005 3:21am,
What's a gi?

Knightmare
2/08/2005 4:46am,
Yeah I have gone to the store to get maybe one thing on a rainy day in my gi pants, when nothing else is clean or I just dont feel like looking for it.

Zeddy
2/08/2005 4:50am,
The question is the same as "Do you wear your underpands/pyjamas in public?". :)

feedback
2/08/2005 4:53am,
underpands, lol that's so cutely fobbish.

Smeagol
2/08/2005 6:18am,
i once saw (in amerikkka) some stupid 14-year old with his taekwondo gi and blackbelt(!) in a walgreens ... i seriously thought about challenging him to a fight RIGHT THERE. but i didn't. stupid me. well, his mommy was there, too.

MrMcFu
2/08/2005 6:23am,
i once saw (in amerikkka) some stupid 14-year old with his taekwondo gi and blackbelt(!) in a walgreens ... i seriously thought about challenging him to a fight RIGHT THERE. but i didn't. stupid me. well, his mommy was there, too.

Why not sue him for disrepecting martial arts and force an apology?

Otaku Waffle
2/08/2005 6:26am,
Not generally. Only time something like that happens is when I'm at a seminar. I'm not going to bother to change if I'm eating something in a cafetaria (sp?) and have to be on the mat again (in gi) in less then half an hour.

I've never gone shopping in a dobok or something similar, though.

MrMcFu
2/08/2005 6:28am,
Wear you gi and black belt to the club for instant street credibility.

Meex
2/08/2005 6:50am,
No 1234

It is Fake
2/08/2005 9:54am,
Pants. Most people don't notice. Yeah in America it is mostly underage 8-14 year old "black Belts" and there parents are so proud. I've had a few outright Sport TKD/Karate/Kung FU challenge me when I ran to the store in Gi pants. So, I stopped.

IzzyDaHedgehog
2/08/2005 10:20am,
Stopped? You should continue, and beat them all up for daring to challenge you.

I HATE wearing gi anything in public, even just the pants. I wear pajama pants all the time, but never gi stuff.