PDA

View Full Version : Linux advice/resources?

poidog
2/07/2005 10:32am,
I want to get my **** switched to a Linux OS. What are some resources/recommendations/advice from some of the linux pros here? I was looking at the Suse(?) Linux OS. Right now, I know very little about linux, so any info will be greatly appreciated. Mahalo in advance.

MaverickZ
2/07/2005 10:43am,
buy something called The Linux Bible, that thing saved my life when i was working and had to learn linux fast. i think it comes in different linux flavours, i'm not sure i don't remember. but it's a huge book on just about everything linux, and it definitely helped me.

SamHarber
2/07/2005 10:43am,
I'm in the process of trying to get a linux web server up and running, but having a thouroughly unpleasant time of it.
I hope you have a lot of spare time and no hair that you can pull out.

Beatdown Richie
2/07/2005 10:49am,
Find a knowledgeable friend who can show you the basics and help you out when you have problems. Google a lot, many common problems are discussed somewhere on the web. Get used to using the terminal, and understand the basic file structure.

SUSE is supposedly pretty good - I had it in my workplace computer until two years ago, it works well.

Generally, I've come to the conclusion that all operating systems suck, it's just a matter of what area, and how badly. Linux requires more patience and manual fiddling than other OSs, but is more transparent in what is done where and how to influence it IMO.

Macistani
2/07/2005 10:49am,
For a newbie desktop OS, Mandrake 10.1

For a server, well, that depends on the kind of server you want and how much of a flamewar you want.

For a techie-nerd desktop, Gentoo can be a lot of fun to use.

Knoppix might be a good choice for experimentation, it boots and runs off of a CD but has most of the "core" apps that any full linux distro will have.

If you have any post-install questions, pm me and I'll be more than happy to help you.

[edit: Forgot the "t" in gentoo]

Shuma-Gorath
2/07/2005 10:58am,
Gentoo Stage 0! Come on, be a man!

Little Idea
2/07/2005 12:19pm,
I like the new SuSE distro's

Google is your friend. Try: Linux Tutorial

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/

The best resource is almost always people, so make friends. When in doubt, bug your friends. You can't be an expert at everything, but you can know experts at everything.

IzzyDaHedgehog
2/07/2005 12:53pm,
I run Ubuntu, which works pretty well. It's based on Debian, which is a pretty old and respected name. Try www.ubuntuforums.org if you have problems.

The thing you'll find with Linux is that it's hard to get set up properly, what with all the different hardware configurations and such. Also, changing anything is much more difficult/dangerous than it is in Windows. However, once you have everything running well, it won't suddenly crap out on you for no reason like Windows.

Take that, my avatar!

MaverickZ
2/07/2005 1:09pm,
just as an addition to izzy's post, if you get redhat it does most of the autodetection work for you, if that's a big deal to you.

LiZhiShang
2/07/2005 1:31pm,
www.linuxiso.org

You can try lots of them out.

Go BSD. >:)

Bizzaro Root
2/07/2005 1:37pm,
got with fedora or redhat. imo they are the most respected and the most organized. fedora's free and redhat you have to pay for but paying for linux isnt that bad you get tech support you get tons of software and all for less than half the price of windows.

the Dabbler
2/07/2005 8:34pm,
my first was Redhat 9. Gave up and came back to linux later w/ Fedora. Got a book called 'Linux for Non Geeks'. That helped tremendously in the beginning. Also having a cable modem helped, since getting a dialup winmodem running was what made me give up on Redhat 9 in the first place.

Got debian running. That was a valuable learning experience.
For a beginner I reccomend MEPIS. It's based on debian which I love b/c of apt-get package management. Once you get comfortable w/ Mepis you might want to try and dig into pure debian. Thats what I'm doing now.

Mepis is great at automatically detecting hardware and is stupid easy to install. Perfect for the linux noob.

the Dabbler
2/07/2005 8:42pm,
also
http://distrowatch.com/

is a good site for comparing linux distros. Even rates their popularity based on number of hits to that particular distro's page.

Once you get something running, even if it's a distro thats easy to install, you can geek yourself to death compiling kernels and tweaking window managers.

google and a printer are your friends