PDA

View Full Version : left hand training in iaido?

Billy Havoc
2/06/2005 1:43pm,
i got a little question:

i'm probably starting nakamura ryu battodo in the future, and i wonder if there's a way to train both hands equally, or if all iaido guys run around with their right arm more muscular than their left one.

do the techniques work both sides equally? or is the sword light enough that it won't matter as long as i do strength training for both arms?

i've been wondering this for a pretty long time now.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2/06/2005 3:15pm,
I've never heard of anyone switching hands in anything related to the nihonto arts. I know I wouldn't trust my left hand with something as dangerous as a sword, at least at the moment.

Te No Kage!
2/06/2005 4:06pm,
i got a little question:

i'm probably starting nakamura ryu battodo in the future, and i wonder if there's a way to train both hands equally, or if all iaido guys run around with their right arm more muscular than their left one.

do the techniques work both sides equally? or is the sword light enough that it won't matter as long as i do strength training for both arms?

i've been wondering this for a pretty long time now.

1) all samurai are right-handed

2) Most schools use both hands

3)the Japanese sword is a cutting tool and not a hacking tool, so the weight of the blade will be doing all of the work, there shouldn't be a whole lot of muscling involved

4) the right hand guides while the left hand pulls so the left hand could be considered the "power" hand

5) Iaido/Battodo is made up mostly of kata with a little straw-mat cutting, so it's pretty much an anachronistic endeavor almost totally devoid of real martial value, but I'm sure it can be fun

Billy Havoc
2/07/2005 5:04am,
that's why i searched long and hard for nakamura ryu... it's an iai style that focusses on cutting!

so, if i understood you right, by using the left hand for power and the right hand for guiding the sword, you exercises both sides equally?

Te No Kage!
2/07/2005 11:21am,
you use two hands to wield the sword so I wouldn't worry about it so much

Billy Havoc
2/07/2005 12:51pm,
ok, thanx

JohnnyCache
2/07/2005 5:54pm,
Even if you just used your right hand, you'd have to work out quite a while to get uneven strength, and even longer to get visably uneven development. You almost have to that on purpose.