PDA

View Full Version : kicks how efective are they?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

noholdsbarred
2/04/2005 4:35pm,
How efective does everybody think kicks are and where is the best place on the opponent to use them?

I think kicks are only efective from the lower stomach down unless the person is stuned with a weak point strike: throat,grion,sternum ect. and even then you gotta be carefull unless you know grapling. I know jiu-jitsu, tang-soo-do and hapkido. But I was woundering what some purely karate practicers thought on the subject.

Aesopian
2/04/2005 4:36pm,
Does strangler use dial-up? Why can't we ban his IP?

Zing!
2/04/2005 4:38pm,
Watch one of Crocop's fights.

Mr. Mantis
2/04/2005 4:39pm,
Strangler wouldn't ask a question like that, normally.

NHB, different schools have different ways to anwser that question. Personally, I would never kick above the waist, but that's just me.

Judah Maccabee
2/04/2005 4:45pm,
I think kicks are "efective" when they get administered to your ass for being the poster child of poor educayshun

Knightmare
2/04/2005 5:32pm,
Watch one of Crocop's fights.

Or Chuck Liddell.
Or Bas Rutten.
Or Wanderlei Silva.
Or Igor Vovchanchin.
Or Gary Goodridge vs. Don Frye.

Haha, yes they are very effective.

To answer where they are effective, EVERYWHERE.

Kicks to the thighs,ribs,head,arms,stomach,sternum,solar plexus,groin,etc. are very effective. In MMA competetion and in street fights they are effective. However, most strikers are hesistant to throw full force kicks(thanks to the grappling revolution)because if it doesnt connect, their opponent can wrap/tie them up and take the fight to the ground. Bas Rutten threw full force kicks without this fear because he had a good submission fighting background. This is why Bas Rutten was such an effective fighter. He didn't care if it went to the ground because he could end the fight just as easily on the ground. Cro Cop is starting to do this as well. He is getting a solid ground game going by training with Werdum.

noholdsbarred
2/04/2005 5:58pm,
Well let me just say this, when I first began martial arts which was tang-doo-do (all kicks) I used to think that if you could kick the crap out of someone you could domanate the fight. But now I know that to be truely domanote in a street fight you have to be totaly rounded and open minded to every kind of technique: grapling,stand up joint manipulation, all kinds of strikes and stealth just anything everthing to destroy any size of an atacker

Reikon
2/04/2005 6:04pm,
I'd vote for below waist. The most effective place to kick is obviously the groin...Full force jolt to the family knockers is going to put Mr. Bad Guy in a very bad place.

GAB corp.
2/04/2005 6:12pm,
Wouldn't it be better to kick the side of the knee? It's lower to the ground and if you kick hard enough the leg will break.

Feryk
2/04/2005 6:21pm,
There are multiple places a kick will do damage. It has more power than a well placed punch in most cases.

Having said that, as a 'pure' karate stylist, I will tell you that I don't kick much higher than the solar plexus very often. It opens me up to a sweep otherwise. Keep in mind that I am also old and slow.

I tend to favor front or side kicks to the solar plexus, or round kicks to the ribs. A back kick if I get turn around/ my opponent shifts behind me. I like sweeps, but the more up close and personal kind (almost a trip in my case).

I've had TKD guys try and kick me in the head. The first one pisses me off. After that, I wait for them to do it again. They always do. Then I hurt them.

That does not mean that head kicks aren't useful. I think when they are done by someone who trains them seriously, they are nasty, fight ending techniques. But in the hands (feet?) of a recreational MAist, for the most part, they are not very effective (IMO).

Lights Out
2/04/2005 6:26pm,
Wouldn't it be better to kick the side of the knee? It's lower to the ground and if you kick hard enough the leg will break.

Ypu have to be Crocop to break one´s bone with a kick. But a well placed low kick (roundhouse, I mean) can break the muscle tissue, thus landing the opponetn and rendering his leg useless for months. Not to mention that the pain may completely disable him.

A front kick to the stomach/middle section can be a fight ender also, bigger target than the nuts.

noholdsbarred
2/04/2005 6:28pm,
I think kicks are only efective from the lower stomach down unless you stun someone with a weak point: throat, sternum, groin ect. otherwise if you try anything above the lower stomach all it takes is a real rowdy street fighter and you'll be on the flat of your back geting your face pounded in or a good grapler...... then it's all over if you kick past the lower stomach. and I'm a mix of both I also did a year of tang-soo-do so so I can do a pretty good edon dewi-chki (not sure on the spelling) a jump back kick. So I do know how good and efective kicks can be. I just think that nothing above the lower stomach and as for when they are stuned then that's when higher kicks or your 360 kicks come in to knock some one out cold!

SamHarber
2/04/2005 6:50pm,
**** off strangler. Nice try, didn't work. Now hurry up and choke to death on your own tongue.

GAB corp.
2/04/2005 6:53pm,
Ypu have to be Crocop to break one´s bone with a kick. But a well placed low kick (roundhouse, I mean) can break the muscle tissue, thus landing the opponetn and rendering his leg useless for months. Not to mention that the pain may completely disable him.

A front kick to the stomach/middle section can be a fight ender also, bigger target than the nuts.

Well, I wasn't thinking about the actual bone, but the joint itself, or is that not possible?

nasty_totoro
2/04/2005 7:10pm,
use kicks after setting them up with punches ...

infidel
2/04/2005 7:18pm,
are kicks effective? in a word: no...