PDA

View Full Version : Did you bring a friend to McDojo today??

Pages : [1] 2

BeeVaEeTa
2/03/2005 9:30am,
I can see the tears rolling down the face of the 6 year old who misses out on the "Bring a Friend" merit badge cos' his mate is too poor to join the dojo.

:llorar:

http://www.merit-badges.com/asp/items.asp?style=anything

Aesopian
2/03/2005 9:33am,
Looks like I know what I'll be giving out next Throwdown.

http://tinypic.com/1j3uif

JohnnyCache
2/03/2005 10:49am,
Why in the name of god is 70s style one color graphic art still alive in this day of cheap IMACs?

Macistani
2/03/2005 4:00pm,
If I ever see someone wearing the Eskrima merit badge, I'm challanging them to full contact sparring on the spot with whatever stick-like implements are nearby.

GregW
2/03/2005 5:14pm,
Painful. Reminds me of the time I spent at a TKD place many years ago. Total McDojo, but a fun workout. When they started a policy that you had to bring a friend in order to test for the next rank I left. It was either the "last straw" or the fact that I didn't have any friends...

Knightmare
2/03/2005 6:02pm,
I kinda always knew I might be awesome but never knew for a fact. Boy, let me tell you, when I recieved one of these patches from my instructor, I knew i was the real deal. Thanks guys for the great product.

-Tyler/Age 18/Atlanta,Georgia

lifetime
2/04/2005 4:21am,
They have a badge for belt-tying!!

http://www.merit-badges.com/badges/30.gif

AFS
2/04/2005 4:29am,
Some of these badges are pretty awful, like the "bring a friend" one.

The kids I coach would love it, I guess.

We have a little cup we give to the kid who trained hardest that month and s/he can take it home for a month.
( Like the McDonalds employee )
I have to say - some kids are really motivted because of that damn little tin-pot thingy.
But they are 6-8 years old...

lifetime
2/04/2005 4:31am,
Never underestimate the value of a little shiny thing that you can show off to your friends.

AFS
2/04/2005 4:34am,
like an olympic medal for example

Kenpoist
2/08/2005 10:40pm,
It is sad , but true in so many TKD schools. They have become so bent on the business aspect, they have forgotten about truely teaching their students the art of practical self defense (ie... - long term contracts/ free coupons/ buy one gi, get the second at half price/ bring a friend-get a discount / belt testing fees - massive group testing - if you go through the motions every 3 months, you get promoted).

Matadon
2/08/2005 10:50pm,
It is sad , but true in so many TKD schools. They have become so bent on the business aspect, they have forgotten about truely teaching their students the art of practical self defense (ie... - long term contracts/ free coupons/ buy one gi, get the second at half price/ bring a friend-get a discount / belt testing fees - massive group testing - if you go through the motions every 3 months, you get promoted).

Don't forget that, in order to sell, TKD has to look pretty. Hence all the floral, arial kicks, the utter lack of punching, and all the forms work. Muay Thai, Boxing, and BJJ aren't as popular because they don't look cool -- I mean, come on, what do a Boxing Nun and two sweaty men cuttling have on Jet Li?

This is why Wu Shu has been gaining popularity; it looks cooler than TKD. Hell, I think it looks cool, and go to my buddy's Wu Shu demonstrations just to be amazed. I know, however, that I'm at the circus, that the lions are muzzled, and that if the lion tamer was thrown in the bush, he'd trade his fancy outfit for a decent Mauser.

Reikon
2/08/2005 10:52pm,
...Anyone else think of the boy scouts as soon as the page loaded?

BeeVaEeTa
2/09/2005 12:58am,
...Anyone else think of the boy scouts as soon as the page loaded?

All I know is that i first laughed, then felt sick and the need to vomit, then an overwhelming sadness and the need to cry....

Senshi
2/09/2005 1:52am,
it says it all ..........

http://www.merit-badges.com/badges/swat.gif

:jerk:

Reikon
2/09/2005 2:46am,
All I know is that i first laughed, then felt sick and the need to vomit, then an overwhelming sadness and the need to cry....

Look at the grappling patches..those'll make you laugh again.