PDA

View Full Version : I want to become a professional fighter

Pages : [1] 2

FormLess
1/27/2005 8:34am,
I'm wanting to join a MMa school when I get home from Iraq and see if I can find a good teacher and become a prize fighter. I'm willing to move anywhere to find the best instruction I can get. Does anyone know of some great teachers or coaches that they would recrommend?

Stick
1/27/2005 8:35am,
Is the military- I assume here- going to let you move anywhere to get the best instruction you can get?

FormLess
1/27/2005 8:42am,
I get out next year and I'm a reservist anyway so it doesn't matter that much. I want somebody that knows what he's doing and isn't going to put me in the ring and let me get my arse kicked. I feel that going pro is the best way for me to get the best experience as a mma fighter.

Tef-the-Persian
1/27/2005 10:18am,
I'd PM Omega if I were you.

Deadpan Scientist
1/27/2005 10:46am,
That would probably be Team Quest, BTT, ATT, or Fairtex.

chaosexmachina
1/27/2005 10:47am,
Me too... me too...

Greese
1/27/2005 2:41pm,
You know, anyone I have ever trained with that came saying they were planning or wanting to be a mma fighter washed out in about 2-3 monthes.
Go back to rex kwon do.

FormLess
1/27/2005 2:46pm,
I'm wanting to go up to NYC and train with Renzo Gracie. I'm not totally sure if I want to go that route though

feedback
1/27/2005 2:56pm,
Who doesn't?

dramaboy
1/27/2005 3:56pm,
I'm wanting to go up to NYC and train with Renzo Gracie. I'm not totally sure if I want to go that route though

Renzo is good but expensive and hes in fricken NYC which is expensive. Renzo has an affiliated gym in Baltimore (google for Ground control academy Baltimore). John Rallo is a pro, and there's a couple of guys doing pro fights, go talk to them. The place is reasonable and B'more is still cheap.

Tomas

VikingPower
1/27/2005 5:05pm,
Try the L.A. Boxing Club, last I heard Bas Rutten was teaching there and he's a helluva good teacher. L.A. would be your best bet, you could also hit up Gokor and countless other NHB/MMA places out there. San Diego had a Muay Thai/NHB place opening up when I left that area, that could have possibilities as well.

Good luck! :thumbsup: What branch btw?

Can Opener
1/28/2005 12:39am,
Excellent advice!!!

If you want the best in the world, make the move to L.A.

Try the L.A. Boxing Club, last I heard Bas Rutten was teaching there and he's a helluva good teacher. L.A. would be your best bet, you could also hit up Gokor and countless other NHB/MMA places out there.

chaosexmachina
1/28/2005 1:09am,
I'm definately moving to LA in the future. So many good gyms there.

Poop Loops
1/28/2005 2:30am,
I'd LOVE to be a pro fighter. But instead of doing that, I'd rather get some job security by getting a college degree. If I start getting good at BJJ and such, winning some amatuer MMA comps, etc, then I'll think about going pro.

I dunno what your experience is, and I'm not gonna tell you how to run your life. I'm just gonna say that it would be wise not to jump in head-first into something not very mainstream such as MMA.

PL

VikingPower
1/28/2005 11:38am,
L.A.s a good place for that PL, they have a lot of amateur competitions there and some quality instructors. He'll get a lot of good experience and learn some good stuff. He could always find a job doing this or that there to get by and focus on training, maybe even try to go to college out there to take advantage of all he can.

antonanton
1/28/2005 1:02pm,
Here in LA theres a million good schools. Rickson personally teachs classes at his academy on tuesdays and thursdays. Also, we have Inosanto academy which has alot of great shoot boxers like erik paulson. Beverly hills jiu jitsu is also a great great club- ran by marcus vinicuis- they teach MT BJJ and MMA- it's a great school. All the kids I know who go there are excelent fighters.