PDA

View Full Version : 10 killed in train collision near Los Angeles

PizDoff
1/26/2005 3:34pm,
10 killed in train collision near Los Angeles
Man intentionally placed car on tracks, police say

GLENDALE, California (CNN) -- A suicidal man parked his vehicle on tracks Wednesday, causing a commuter train collision that killed at least 10 people outside Los Angeles, officials said.

"This whole incident was started by a deranged individual who was suicidal," said Glendale Police Chief Randy Adams.

The suspect, identified as Juan Manuel Alvarez, 26, got out of the vehicle before impact and watched the collision, Adams said.

Alvarez of Compton, California, is in custody and is expected to be charged with homicide, Adams said.

"I think he was intent at that time of taking his own life, but changed his mind prior to the train actually striking his vehicle," Adams said.

The collision and derailment was not an act of terrorism, the police chief said.

Adams said more than 100 people were injured.

A spokeswoman for the commuter line, Metrolink, said a Metrolink train hit the car at a railroad crossing, ran into another Metrolink train and crashed into a parked Union Pacific train.

The number of passengers involved in the derailment in Glendale, California, is not known.

A law enforcement official identified one of the dead as Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy James Tutino, a 23-year-veteran, who was on his way to work.

Chris Gray, chief of the Glendale Fire Department, said more than 75 agencies are involved in the rescue and recovery, including some from Pasadena and Burbank.

Videotape shows Metrolink passenger train cars on their sides with shattered windows and the metal sheeting peeled backward and crushed inward.

The footage also shows several overturned orange Union Pacific rail cars.

Because commuter trains are involved it is difficult to determine who the passengers are and how many had boarded, Gray said.

The National Transportation and Safety Board will take over the investigation. Relatives can call (818) 548-6464 for additional information.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/01/26/train.derailment/index.html

First saw this at www.thestar.com

GLENDALE, Calif. A commuter train smashed into an SUV left on a crossing by a suicidal man early today, derailed and crashed into another train, authorities said. At least 10 people were killed and more than 100 injured.

The SUV driver changed his mind about suicide and left the vehicle before it was hit, Police Chief Randy Adams said. The man will be charged with homicide, he said.
The Star article (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1106738812904&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes) - may need login

What a flaming moron. At least kill yourself in peace.
Getting hit by a train isn't even a surefire way to kill get killed.

Ray Nelson
1/26/2005 3:46pm,
"Getting hit by a train isn't even a surefire way to kill get killed."

On foot, it sure the hell is.

--r

PizDoff
1/26/2005 7:35pm,
Ya know what I meant :D
This thread title sucks....

TheRemote
1/27/2005 2:21am,
"The suspect, identified as Juan Manuel Alvarez, 26, got out of the vehicle before impact and watched the collision, Adams said. "

What an a-hole. Probably illegal too.

Guess I can't blame the wet though. If I lived in Compton or California in general, or was named Juan Manuel, and a wet; I guess I would want to jump in front of a train too. Until I remembered how freakin good social security, unemployment checks, and fajitas are.