PDA

View Full Version : My Instructor's Kenpo DVD Series is Going National

Punisher
1/23/2005 8:09pm,
The title of the thread basically says it all. Last August I posted about how my instructor gave up the day-to-day teaching and operations of his schools and moved to Tennessee to focus on making instructional products. I don't want this to be too much of a blatant advertisement, but my instructor recently announced he is going to start marketing his DVD's nationally in various MA magazines. The target audience is TMAers, particularly current and former kenpoists looking for another view on kenpo.

He's starting out with three products. The first is a 16 DVD instructional series that basically contains everything in the Five Animal Kenpo system. These tapes are ok, but probably not much use for someone who doesn't want to train and advance in rank in our system. These DVDs are actually conversions of the tape series my instructor made for our school a few years back.

The second product is really cool. It is a video magazine called Beyond Sequence: Video Journal of Kenpo Theory. Every two months a new DVD comes out. I just got the first issue and it was awesome. The topics covered coincide with what is being taught at the school at that time, I really think the material would be good for anyone practicing or wanting to know more about kenpo.

Finally my instructor is about to start shooting a DVD called The Art of War - Today that is a DVD on how Sun Tzu's strategies can be applied to modern day self-defense. I know the Art of War is somewhat overdone, but I don't know of anyone that's put out a similar product. I think this has the potential to be the product with the most use to anyone regardless of style.

I'm going to be getting all the products. I already have the instructional series and have subscribed for a year of the video journal. I probably won't be posting any reviews here on the site, since I'm obviously biased but I'd love to here what other people think. Anyone interested can PM me for more information.

deus ex machina
1/23/2005 8:27pm,
Stop practicing Bullshido and stop supporting McDojoism.

Boyd
1/23/2005 8:27pm,
If there's one thing this world was in desperate, desperate need of, it's another mediocre Kempo instructional from a self-proclaimed McDojo. God bless.

Judah Maccabee
1/23/2005 8:29pm,
16 DVDS!?

btw, since I saw this issue brought up, what's the difference between KENpo and KEMpo?

Punisher
1/23/2005 8:41pm,
16 DVDS!?

btw, since I saw this issue brought up, what's the difference between KENpo and KEMpo?

As far as the word goes there really isn't. There isn't a direct translation for the Japanese n/m into English. Different styles of ken/mpo simply prefer one form over the other.

Punisher
1/23/2005 8:55pm,
What my instructor teaches isn't mediocre and isn't bullshido. It has real application and value. As kenpo goes it is as good as it gets. The new man of the hour, Clyde, will tell you getting embarassed by my instructor at a black belt test years ago, is a big part of why he is the martial artist he is today. It may not be perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. I'm putting it out there for scrutiny.

As for my school being a McDojo, I don't deny or hide that. I think that is a major reason why my instructor left. There were only a handful of students in the entire school, black belts included, they were getting the full benefit of his instruction.

Shuma-Gorath
1/23/2005 8:59pm,
There were only a handful of students in the entire school, black belts included, they were getting the full benefit of his instruction.

I think that's step five in the nine steps of a student leaving a mcdojo. Step skipping is encouraged.

patfromlogan
1/23/2005 9:12pm,
**** Boyd and Deus, too bad you weren't there in Vegas to school the infamous Kenpo Clyde. As Meex told me, Omega said to Clyde when they were sparring, "You are the first person not to back away from me today," and Clyde said, "I want you to come to me."

It's the same old same old. Like Meex, in his early forties, karate/judo/aikido and for many years CMA rolls with BJJ guys in Hawaii, friends with Hawaiian Kempo guys and so forth and to hear him he seems to think that there are two styles, power and internal, or maybe ground and standup make two more sub-catagories? And no one ever says **** about "style" or "school" in any negative way. I work out in a lot of schools and when I want to loose teeth I'll act like Boyd or Deus do onlline. Of course I know that they are online and faced with a decent ma at a throwdown they'd leave the ego nut ridding **** behind and train and go for it.

Deadpan Scientist
1/23/2005 9:57pm,
pat, Punisher SAYS HIS SCHOOL IS A MCDOJO.

patfromlogan
1/24/2005 8:16pm,
pat, Punisher SAYS HIS SCHOOL IS A MCDOJO.
If you don't stop confusing me with logic I'm gonna quit drinking.