PDA

View Full Version : Incline Presses

Pages : [1] 2

SamHarber
1/23/2005 11:55am,
I've just got a bench and weights from a friend and I'm having issues doing incline presses.

I've nowhere to put the bar to start or to finish. The bench looks pretty much like this one (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=124090&clickfrom=image).

Any ideas on how to do them?

jwinch2
1/23/2005 12:36pm,
Get some dumbbells or a new bench that doesn't suck... Or a powe rack that you can slide the bench in.... Other than that, your scewed.

KentckyFriedRat
1/23/2005 1:01pm,
Benching sucks anyway, it's the most worthless exercise

VikingPower
1/23/2005 10:25pm,
Benching sucks anyway, it's the most worthless exercise

It has its uses. As for actual incline presses, screw them. Good heavy benches will hit your pecs all over, inclines and declines are a bodybuilding thing designed to get more blood pumped into your pecs. It'll make them look bigger but strength-wise nothing beats a tough set of regular benches, preferably on power racks so you can start from the negative portion.

Boomstick
1/23/2005 10:56pm,
I have had good experience, if you are going for a more balanced look in the chest, of doing standing cable flyes with the pulley coming from about a foot or so off the floor. Then pull them together at about the chin level. Koto is right on the true power forward issue, but for looks, the flye really does help.

SamHarber
1/24/2005 2:52am,
So the general consensus is don't even bother with the inclines. Thats cool.

Pink Pansy
1/24/2005 6:15am,
Since you're training for MA, I'd also advise sticking with ballistic training[1], because it uses the muscles in a way similar to punching. Personally, I also prefer the dumbbell-press to the bench-press, because it works the stabilizer muscles much more effectively, and because you don't need a decent bench -- just appropriate weights.

Inclines aren't worthless; they work the pectorals and traps in a different fashion than flat benching does, as well as the rotators, and it's not such a bad idea to switch things up a bit -- I alternate between clap-pushups and ballistic inclined DB presses for my chest workout.

[1] Explosive lifting with 50-60% of your ORM (One Rep Max).

NHB_Ben
1/24/2005 6:44am,
Since you're training for MA, I'd also advise sticking with ballistic training[1], because it uses the muscles in a way similar to punching. Personally, I also prefer the dumbbell-press to the bench-press, because it works the stabilizer muscles much more effectively, and because you don't need a decent bench -- just appropriate weights.

Inclines aren't worthless; they work the pectorals and traps in a different fashion than flat benching does, as well as the rotators, and it's not such a bad idea to switch things up a bit -- I alternate between clap-pushups and ballistic inclined DB presses for my chest workout.

[1] Explosive lifting with 50-60% of your ORM (One Rep Max).

There's a large portion of the fitness community believe that lifting in this manner doesn't offer any advantages over slow controlled lifts and that this type of lifting is much more likely to cause injury. So, take that into account when you assemble a routine.

The current project I'm personally trying now is to focus my workouts on the three major gross motor movements: pushing, pulling, and squating. So, basically, regular bench, rows, and squats. I also do some other excercises simply due to vanity and aesthetics (calves, traps, biceps).

Ronin
1/24/2005 8:02am,
Koto is correct, IF you train your chest INTENSLY enough, ALL parts of it will come into play, there really isn't a "upper" or "lower" pec, its just terms used by bodybuilders who wanna isolate certain areas of the pectorals.

Function over form as Taebo like to say.

When you get to an good weight with a barbell, change to dumbells ( due to the fact that they are even harder to stablize than barbells, you will have to cut the weight a bit).

But, as for inclines, no need to do them unless you just like do them, even a the bench press per se is an inferior exercise for your chect compared to say the weighted dip.

SamHarber
1/24/2005 8:56am,
Cheers for all the help.

Unfortunately, now I've got the bench in place I've no room to do dips.
I'm going to have to work out a routine with the equipment I've got.

So.. I can do bench and deadlifts no problem, I'm wary of doing squats as I've nowhere to rest the bar. Time to look up some dumbell exercises.

TaeBo_Master
1/25/2005 3:31am,
Squats are really easy to do with DBs. I would argue, in fact, that they're better with DBs, because you can get much better form and ROM.

Looks like I've finally started to turn Ronin into a real man.

Also, using heavy weight for strength development, slower controlled reps are the way to go. If you want to do ballistic power development, use a 10-15 lb. medicine ball.

jubei33
1/25/2005 12:16pm,
I would suggest building a power rack out of 2X4s and such. you could even incorporate a dip press easily into the frame. this is much cheaper than buying one and you can design it to fit a garage or basement.

SamHarber
1/25/2005 12:33pm,
I would suggest building a power rack out of 2X4s and such. you could even incorporate a dip press easily into the frame. this is much cheaper than buying one and you can design it to fit a garage or basement.
See my previous thread on why God hates me. My house is far far too small.
I could set it up in my back yard, but considering where I live, its not the best plan what with all the rain.

jubei33
1/25/2005 1:20pm,
maybe you should ask: "what would phil elmore do?" :headbang:

Quikfeet509
1/25/2005 3:26pm,
i love to do 4 sets of incline DB chest, then pop over and do 4 sets of decline. for me, that activates my chest more than any other routine (except compound setting db chest with full range Db flyes). since every person is different, try different exercises and routines to find out which work you out the best.

many in the fitness industry may say that there is little difference between plyometric/explosive reps vs. super slow reps, but there are some major differences, especially how it works your nervous system. but hey, who knows? luckily, the gym provides an opportunity to try out how theory works on the individual.

Equipoise
1/25/2005 3:36pm,
The design team for that bench should be shot. I stared at it for five minutes thinking, wtf?