PDA

View Full Version : Arnis

johanlook
1/21/2005 7:13am,
I checked out an Arnis school tonight. To be honest I'd heard that this stuff was really realistic and hardcore, you know, battle stuff.
The teacher had been doing this stuff for about 40 years and he did know how to move his body well enough - not great but good.
What I don't get is why these guys spar in the duelling style tapping punches back and forward if they are meant to be realistic? I can see it with the sticks I mean I wouldn't want to do a shoot for the legs with one of those things coming at me, but with the tap tap punches and kicks what's to stop you from just going for it?

Otaku Waffle
1/21/2005 8:46am,
Be more specific: which shool? Where are you located? There are quite some FMA practitioners on this board, they might be able to direct you to a better school.

Reikon
1/21/2005 10:35am,
"Tap tap punches and kicks"?

Describe these please? You might be referring to checking and Silat kicking, but I'm not sure. Or it might be a style I haven't seen before. Why not call them up and ask why style of Arnis they teach? Modern Arnis is all stick that I know of.

JKDChick
1/21/2005 11:03am,
Yeah, and are you sure you weren't seeing drill rather than SPARRING? No one pretends that the drills are realistic combat -- they're just there to help you get control of your sticks.

That being said, the FMA's are the next big thing, McDojo/Bullshido-wise. I'm not surprised that sub-standard schools are springing up.

Kaith Rustaz
1/21/2005 12:03pm,
Alot of the drills are tap style. In fact, one is called "Tapi-Tapi". (Tapi means something I can't recall at the moment) The extended drill is an whole series of tap style blocks, checks and strikes. One of the main ideas of Remy's Modern ARnis was to target the stick, rather than the hand in order to not destroy ones training partners. The sparring I've done in classes has been a bit harder, but not 'full speed'. Targets are somewhat restricted for safety, though I have done more unrestricted with a few trusted partners.

We have a schools listing on MartialTalk (http://martialtalk.com/forum/schools.php) that links to most of the larger MA organizations, as well as a small selection of schools that might help you as well.

Kempocos
1/21/2005 3:49pm,
I agree that you were likely watching drills, also you must learn to move and control your strikes before going " real " as you put it. There is a level of knowledge and skill needed to safely go at it, more so with sticks.

Proximus
1/21/2005 4:33pm,
I would still like to know the name of the school and where it is.

Reikon
1/21/2005 5:24pm,
Alot of the drills are tap style. In fact, one is called "Tapi-Tapi". (Tapi means something I can't recall at the moment) The extended drill is an whole series of tap style blocks, checks and strikes. One of the main ideas of Remy's Modern ARnis was to target the stick, rather than the hand in order to not destroy ones training partners. The sparring I've done in classes has been a bit harder, but not 'full speed'. Targets are somewhat restricted for safety, though I have done more unrestricted with a few trusted partners.

We have a schools listing on MartialTalk (http://martialtalk.com/forum/schools.php) that links to most of the larger MA organizations, as well as a small selection of schools that might help you as well.

Tapi-Tapi means "Tap and Ride" -- courtesy The FMA Database (http://www.fmadatabase.com:8080/)

Rigante
1/21/2005 6:00pm,
This thread raises an interesting question. In unarmed MA full contact sparring etc is a very usefull test of validity of technique and training. In a weapons based system how can one determine what training or techniques are valid. Does point sparring with padded sticks etc separate the wheat from the chaff? Are their other possible methods.

johanlook
1/21/2005 6:36pm,
I could understand the weapons drills - what I found disconcerting were the unarmed or mano mano sparring. I know that the movements of unarmed are meant to be the same as moving with a weapon but unarmed your tools have changed a hand or fist I'm more comfortable grappling with that a knife or stick. I'm much less likely to dance around when it's unarmed-i'd rather close the range. I can understand drilling, but at some point I'd like the drill to cross over to real life. These types of duel sparring matches go on for far to long without anything really "happening". You hit and I step back, I hit and you step back etc.

I'm not going to say the name of the style at the moment because from what I know this is a unique style and will distinguish it from others and I'm not convinced that this is a bad school at the moment.

Kaith Rustaz
1/22/2005 10:32am,
Tapi-Tapi means "Tap and Ride" -- courtesy The FMA Database (http://www.fmadatabase.com:8080/)
Ah. Much appreciated. :)

Reikon
1/22/2005 2:01pm,
Ah. Much appreciated. :)

No problem...You might wanna bookmark that site. It's kick ass :)

Reikon
1/22/2005 2:03pm,
I could understand the weapons drills - what I found disconcerting were the unarmed or mano mano sparring. I know that the movements of unarmed are meant to be the same as moving with a weapon but unarmed your tools have changed a hand or fist I'm more comfortable grappling with that a knife or stick. I'm much less likely to dance around when it's unarmed-i'd rather close the range. I can understand drilling, but at some point I'd like the drill to cross over to real life. These types of duel sparring matches go on for far to long without anything really "happening". You hit and I step back, I hit and you step back etc.

I'm not going to say the name of the style at the moment because from what I know this is a unique style and will distinguish it from others and I'm not convinced that this is a bad school at the moment.

Well theres many different style of Kali, and without knowing which one you're doing we don't know what you were doing, so .............