PDA

View Full Version : carbs and sugar??

makobeing
1/19/2005 12:46pm,
What is the differences between carbs and sugars? Are they the same?
I was checking a protein shake supplement and on the labels their was like carbohydrates and sugars(cristallin fructose or something like that...). I always thought they were the same. Can anybody clarify this ?

thanks.

Judah Maccabee
1/19/2005 12:59pm,
There are many different types of carbohydrates. Sugars would be simple carbs, starches from pasta are more "complex", and are called complex carbs.

So, carbs is the category, and table sugar (fructose) is a type of carb.

KhorneliusPraxx
1/19/2005 1:13pm,
All I know is I have to get off the Dew.
That **** has to be killing me.

Judah Maccabee
1/19/2005 1:14pm,
Khorn, that woman's got calves like she glued building blocks to the back of her leg in your av. o_O.....

makobeing
1/19/2005 1:34pm,
Then its more complex carbs that I have to eat in order to get a sustained energy level....right?

and an other question: somebody mentionned (forgot who) that you can force the slow absorption of simple sugars by adding lipides in them.
Ex: in a mixture of water and sugar, if you add a little bit of olive oil and mix it, the absorption of the sugar wil be slower. Is this true?

Judah Maccabee
1/19/2005 1:38pm,
Then its more complex carbs that I have to eat in order to get a sustained energy level....right?

and an other question: somebody mentionned (forgot who) that you can force the slow absorption of simple sugars by adding lipides in them.
Ex: in a mixture of water and sugar, if you add a little bit of olive oil and mix it, the absorption of the sugar wil be slower. Is this true?

Complex carbs last longer than simple carbs. For sustained energy, fat will also start to play a role, as will protein to a degree. But complex carbs will play the greatest role.

As for the issue of slowing the rate of sugar absorption, I have no idea about that. But I'm not going to put fucking olive oil in a soda to slow the rate of absorption. That's sick. What I HAVE done is put a dollop of oil in a protein shake to have some quality fats for before my workout. I did it for energy, not for slowing absorption.

I don't even think you could slow the rate.

Judah Maccabee
1/19/2005 4:02pm,
Now that I remember it, Men's Health recommended the following shake before working out:

12-16oz apple or grape juice
1 scoop protein powder
1tbsp olive oil

Blend together, and consume 30-60 minutes prior to working out.

TaeBo_Master
1/19/2005 4:07pm,
Carbohydrates are complex chemical chains and come in three basic types. Monosaccharides, Disaccharides, and polysaccharides. Mono and di saccharides are what we generally think of as sugars. (sucrose, glucose, fructose, galactose, lactose etc, are all in these categories). Polysaccharides have longer chains. Your "complex carbs" and fiber fall into this category.

makobeing
1/19/2005 4:40pm,
Taebo_Master:

what is a crystalline fructose compared to normal one(aren't they in solid (crysralized) form?)?

Judah Maccabee
1/19/2005 5:40pm,
Crystalline fructose sounds like a fancy name for "table sugar."

One name they've commonly used for sugar is "evaporated cane juice."

PizDoff
1/19/2005 6:25pm,
I don't even think you could slow the rate.

Sure you can. Fats slow down digestion as it takes longer to break it down.
Also another example, different types of protein are metabolised at different rates.
Casein is a slower on, while whey is faster metabolised.

Judah Maccabee
1/19/2005 8:54pm,
I know that fat, protein, and carbs are digested at different rates, and that some carbs/proteins/fats digest more quickly than others in their respective categories....

....but I don't think eating fats and sugars together will make one or the other digest more quickly/slowly.

PizDoff
1/19/2005 10:34pm,
Oh yes, and I've never read anything on that, nor do I care since. :)

TaeBo_Master
1/20/2005 12:47am,
Table sugar is typically sucrose.

Deadpan Scientist
1/20/2005 12:53am,
SS is correct...again