PDA

View Full Version : Student is badly hurt in vicious thug attack (student was Shotokan Club captain)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

VikingPower
1/18/2005 8:41pm,
What kills me is that there were two guys beating on the team captain while another student, a female, just stood by in horror and let him get his ass kicked and didn't do anything about it. Just goes to show you, you could be skilled in a decent art but still get your ass kicked if you're a sally and can't fight for real. Also tells you to travel with friends who'll back your ass up in a fight.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=63562005

Student is badly hurt in vicious thug attack

GARETH EDWARDS

A KARATE enthusiast was rushed to hospital after an unprovoked attack by two men left him with serious head injuries.

Edinburgh University student Scott Hedley, 21, was repeatedly kicked in the face and head and thrown against a wall during the assault.

The university today pledged to review their security procedures following the late-night assault in George Square.

The engineering student, who is the captain of the universityís Shotokan Karate Club, was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment after the attack.

He was set upon shortly after midnight on Wednesday as he walked home with another student after a karate class.

Mr Hedley, who holds a brown belt and has represented the university in national championships, was attacked by two men who kicked and punched him to the ground.

Despite his training the student was unable to protect himself, and his friend, 19-year-old, Laura Kniveton, could only watch in horror as the men picked him up and threw him against a wall. After the assault, which left Mr Hedley unconscious, the two men casually walked away.

The student, who lives in a flat in Bruntsfield, was rushed to hospital by an ambulance crew and received treatment for a broken jaw, head injuries and severe bruising to his face and chest.

Still recovering from the ordeal, Mr Hedley said he had no idea why he was attacked.

"I donít know what they wanted and I was just backing away, trying to tell them that I didnít know who they were," he said.

"One of them asked why I was starting on their mate and I told him that I didnít even know who he was. Then they both attacked me.

"I tried to keep them back, but against two people it was just impossible. They were coming forward and just throwing wild punches and kicks at me.

"Then one of them knocked me to the ground and they started kicking me in the head. After that all I can remember is getting in the ambulance.

"I was shocked more than anything, as no-one I know has ever experienced anything like this.

"I thought they would be asking for my wallet or phone or something, but they just attacked me."

The assault has left Mr Hedley only able to eat liquid food as his injuries mean he cannot bite. Miss Kniveton, a first-year music student, said she had been left traumatised by the ordeal.

"They would move off him and walk away, and I thought theyíd left him alone. But then they would come back and start beating him up again. This happened several times. Iíve not been able to sleep properly since."

Mr Hedleyís mother Susan said she was relieved his injuries were not more serious.

"Thank God he wasnít on his own, and that they didnít have knives," she said.

"If they did, heíd have been lying dead in a pool of blood."

A spokeswoman for the university said: "We all wish this student a speedy recovery and we are doing everything possible to assist the police," she said.

"This area is regularly patrolled and university security staff were the first on the scene. However, we always review our procedures in light of any incident such as this."

Police have appealed for anyone who was in the George Square area at the time to contact them. The suspects were both described as being around 6ft 5in tall, with light coloured hair, and they were both wearing dark fleeces. One man had a red T-shirt on underneath his fleece and was described as having a bad case of acne.

A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said they wanted to speak to anyone who may have seen the assault.

"This was a vicious and unprovoked assault which left a young man with severe facial injuries," he said.

"We would appeal to anyone who witnessed the attack or who was in the area at the time to contact the police as soon as possible."

Kungfoolss
1/18/2005 10:30pm,
I would've titled this article,

'Shotokan doesn't work outside the safety of the dojo environment.'

VikingPower
1/18/2005 10:37pm,
I would've titled this article,

'Shotokan doesn't work outside the safety of the dojo environment.'

It can, but obviously not for this guy.

Wounded Ronin
1/19/2005 12:59am,
Eh, the moral more may be that many university clubs are wimpy.

PizDoff
1/19/2005 1:21am,
Heh, I train at two myself.

I am angered by the weakness of the woman. Poor showing.
Is anyone still going to claim no-touch sparring is beneficial? STFU.

Wounded Ronin
1/19/2005 1:26am,
Well, I didn't mean *all* university clubs suck. Just that many do.

I agree with you, though. Why didn't the woman help him? I mean, really. It's kind of repulsive she just stood there and watched while her friend took severe head trauma. She should have joined the fight. Why didn't she? Why instead did she set feminism back 30 years? I mean, if your friend is there taking severe head trauma from 2 unarmed guys, how could you even fight down the instinct not to leap in and assist?

lifetime
1/19/2005 1:31am,
She's a fucking woman, that's why. I know a lot of girls that would do what she did.
Most of them don't even have the common sense to call the cops.

JohnnyCache
1/19/2005 2:31am,
I don't think this sounds like a whole story. Unprovoked violence against a couple with no robbery or molestation or anything? Just two strangers walk up to a guy, break his jaw in front of his girlfriend, then stop and walk off?

Is this an English thing? Were these guys 'hooligans (http://kafsemo.org/2004/02/26.html)'?

VikingPower
1/19/2005 8:24am,
She's a fucking woman, that's why. I know a lot of girls that would do what she did.
Most of them don't even have the common sense to call the cops.

All depends on the woman really. I knew a chick in the Marine Corps who could earn a 299 on a male PFT (20 dead-hang pullups, 100 crunches in less than 2 min, and 18:10 for a 3-mile run). She'd wrestle guys half her size for chokeout, and carried more knives than a Ginsu salesman. Only chick I ever met that dipped, she was pretty good-looking but the fact she always had Red Man in her mouth was kind of a turnoff :P I'm sure she'd be the type to hop right in there.

Sungam
1/19/2005 8:42am,
I don't think this sounds like a whole story. Unprovoked violence against a couple with no robbery or molestation or anything? Just two strangers walk up to a guy, break his jaw in front of his girlfriend, then stop and walk off?

Is this an English thing? Were these guys 'hooligans (http://kafsemo.org/2004/02/26.html)'?
As it was in Scotland I'm assuming that the attackers were Scottish and they do seem to have a reputation for unprovoked violence, especially against an English person who is also a student - almost asking for it in Scotland :new_Llol:

pachanga
1/19/2005 9:48am,

Unprovoked violence does happen. When I was 16 a friend and I were jumped by a gang of about 8 19-20 year olds for absolutely no reason. We weren't badly hurt - they tried to do a few lame karate moves on us and then ran away. Then at university in London my flatmate was jumped by a agang of four people - two girls and two guys - near our flat. The two guys held her friend back while the two girls knocked her to the ground and kicked her in the face several times. All they took was the packet of cigarettes she dropped. In both cases the attacks were completely unprovoked and random, and theft wasn't a motive in either.

Chronomorte
1/19/2005 11:27am,
No amount of training in any style can guarantee you won't be KO'd by some 'hooligan' who
flings a lucky punch anyway. Plus training formally doesn't really teach you how to react when
two predators set you (and themselves) up for a cheap shot or know how to fight 2 on 1.
Finally, I'm not sure I'd want my 19 year old girlfriend getting her ass kicked just because I was.
Now, if he'd had a little LED flashlight and knew the Phil Elmore tactical training, then
it would have been a very different story....

Onecardshort
1/19/2005 12:26pm,
Student bashing is almost a national past-time in some towns - all the fun of an identifiable minority without any of the problems of it being labled a hate/race crime.

You see, in the UK there was a prevailing idea that all students come from wealthy backgrounds and so are somehow "posh", thus needing a kicking (it's probably changing nowadays, but that's how it used to be, even just 20 years ago). In addition, a lot people in the UK still don't relocate outside the town/area they were born in whereas students normally come from "forn parts", so also a good reason for a kicking. If he was English (doesn't seem to say) this would only have painted the target bigger.

As for girl not getting involved, I read she was a student, but doesn't say she was also a karate student. Acting like a bunny in the headlights at what was probably her first direct experience of proper violence hardly merits berating for not getting stuck in. Also, assume she did try and fight, what then - most probable outcome would have been two broken bodies with no-one to phone it in.

Smeagol
1/19/2005 12:29pm,
All depends on the woman really. I knew a chick in the Marine Corps who could earn a 299 on a male PFT (20 dead-hang pullups, 100 crunches in less than 2 min, and 18:10 for a 3-mile run). She'd wrestle guys half her size for chokeout, and carried more knives than a Ginsu salesman. Only chick I ever met that dipped, she was pretty good-looking but the fact she always had Red Man in her mouth was kind of a turnoff :P I'm sure she'd be the type to hop right in there.
what?

Yrkoon9
1/19/2005 12:32pm,
"Knowing some punching and kicking is good. But always back yourself up with Gracie Jiu Jitsu (tm)."

Wounded Ronin
1/19/2005 12:59pm,
Student bashing is almost a national past-time in some towns - all the fun of an identifiable minority without any of the problems of it being labled a hate/race crime.

You see, in the UK there was a prevailing idea that all students come from wealthy backgrounds and so are somehow "posh", thus needing a kicking (it's probably changing nowadays, but that's how it used to be, even just 20 years ago). In addition, a lot people in the UK still don't relocate outside the town/area they were born in whereas students normally come from "forn parts", so also a good reason for a kicking. If he was English (doesn't seem to say) this would only have painted the target bigger.

As for girl not getting involved, I read she was a student, but doesn't say she was also a karate student. Acting like a bunny in the headlights at what was probably her first direct experience of proper violence hardly merits berating for not getting stuck in. Also, assume she did try and fight, what then - most probable outcome would have been two broken bodies with no-one to phone it in.

I think it did say she was a karateka.