PDA

View Full Version : Excerpt of a training regime of a professional strongman

Pages : [1] 2

VikingPower
1/15/2005 11:05pm,
Mariusz Pudzianowski is one of the world's strongest men currently around today. He's a karateka (kyokushin) and also a former boxer, spent about seven years doing that. He's a big boy, as his measurements can attest:

- Biceps 56 cm
- Nape 54 cm
- Waist 92 cm
- Thigh 80 cm
- Weight 132 kg
- Height 186 cm
- Chest 148 cm
- Forearm 45 cm

(Pic of him at http://pudzian.pl/foto/276.jpg)

I thought some of you might be interested in how some of these guys train. I mostly do it for fun in hopes of someday being in a competition but these guys are the elite, who live and breathe strength athletics. I thought some of you might decide to incorporate some of these into your strength training if you were interested. Most of the lifts you may not know can be found at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strongman7.htm but for the others I provide links as well.

Monday
Morning Gym Session (9.00)

Back Squat (basically regular barbell squats)
Warm-up: 8 sets, pyramiding from 60 to 160kg
Work sets: pyramiding from 160 to 280kg, reps going from 6 down to 2
Mariusz performs his squats olympic-style, he uses knee wraps and a belt.

Leg Curl (for hamstrings)
6 sets of 20 reps

Leg Extension (for quads)
6 sets of 20 reps

Pull Up
6 sets of 15 reps

Chin Up
6 sets of 10 reps

Behind-the-neck Pulldowns
4 sets of 15 reps

Barbell Rows
4 sets of 15 reps

Abs: 6 sets of 30 reps
Exercises used (haging leg raise, bends, various)

Afternoon Event Training (19.00) with Strongman Equipment

Sandbag Carry (130kg on back)
3 times 170 meters

Conan's Wheel - 290kg (http://www.brutestrength.com/images/conans1.jpg, you basically load it up and walk with it)
3 times 2.5 revolutions

Tire Flip
3 sets of 10 flips

Tuesday

Front Squats
Works up to 250

Calf Work
6 sets of 15 reps

Standing Military Press
Warm-up sets - 7 sets of 60 to 100kg
Work sets - 6 sets pyramiding up from 110, 120, 130, 140kg for 5-4 reps

Deadlifts
Warm-up sets - 6 with 200kg
Work sets - work up to 300kg

Good Mornings
8 sets with 100kg

Afternoon Session (19.00)
Bushman's Walk (You lift a barbell with two crates attached to it and walk with it on your back for the given distance).
300 kg 3 x 15 meters

Presses with Machine Used in Competition (not quite sure what he means, sorry)
3 sets of 10 reps with 120kg

Parallel Crucifix (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strongman9a.jpg)
Hold 40kg weights for 30 seconds

Wednesday

Bench Press
Warm-up sets - work up to 180kg in 8 sets
Work sets - work up from 150kg to 220kg, going from 8 down to 2 reps

Barbell Extensions: work up to 80kg

Standing French Press

Afternoon (19.00)
Same as Monday plus powerstairs and so called parallel stairs

These are just excerpts of Mariusz's training program. Each of his training sessions is precluded by 15-min of skipping rope (of course, he used to be a boxer). He finishes every workout with abdominal work. On top of all this, there is twice-a-week karate practice and recovery work which includes swimming. (...). You can also find Mariusz doing his medium-distance runs.

(This is from his website http://www.pudzian.pl/english/index2.php)

Jenfucius
1/15/2005 11:38pm,
i think i could do that many pullups if i really tried

antman
1/15/2005 11:48pm,
Pull uosps are impressive for his size but good Juice will help him along fine.

VikingPower
1/16/2005 9:38am,
Pull uosps are impressive for his size but good Juice will help him along fine.

He's actually probably the only truly ripped strongman out there, and they do test for steroids so it's unlikely he was a juicer. Look at Magnus, probably Mariusz's fiercest competitor:

http://www.mma-news.ch/magnus_samuelsson.jpg

Not very ripped, but man is he big. He's about 6'5" and 300+ pounds in that pic. Steroids don't really make you markedly stronger either, they're more for mass gains than actual strength development. Sure you recover faster so you can lift more but 'roids actually don't do much for developing functional strength.

VikingPower
1/16/2005 8:12pm,
By the way, cool pic to throw up for some motivation:

http://www.magnus-samuelsson.net/gfx/bilder/training/Training_03.jpg

Here's Magnus Samuleson (Mariusz's fiercest competitor) curling 405lbs for reps.

Nid
1/16/2005 8:14pm,
Yes, but what about dysfunctional strength?

VikingPower
1/16/2005 8:26pm,
Yes, but what about dysfunctional strength?

I was going to say something witty about a routine for beating the wife and kids but decided against it :viking:

Urban
1/16/2005 10:40pm,
that is the worst strongman routine ever. Just shows to go you how far good chemistry and better genetics will get you. And Mariuz just got DQed from WSM along with a couple others for testing dirty, so if you think they're clean you full of ****.

VikingPower
1/16/2005 10:47pm,
that is the worst strongman routine ever. Just shows to go you how far good chemistry and better genetics will get you. And Mariuz just got DQed from WSM along with a couple others for testing dirty, so if you think they're clean you full of ****.

LOL no **** huh? :) Well, scratch that. Magnus' then? ;) LOL

Nid
1/16/2005 10:50pm,
I tried to tell you nicely, koto

VikingPower
1/16/2005 10:51pm,
I tried to tell you nicely, koto

I always thought that was in his past but not nowadays. Sorry keinhaar, neg rep away :shock: Mag's might be good too, but the guy is a genetic giant. The first time he benched at 16 he did 100kg. Lucky bastard :)

Urban
1/17/2005 12:51am,
The developement of testing will always be behind the developement of drugs that beat the tests. That's just the nature of the beast. ALL of these guys are on steroids, or at least a good 90% of them. Everyone wants to be at top of their game, and the administrations will always turn a blind eye if it puts more butts in the seats. This goes for pro baseball, football, wrestling or anything else with so much work and dedication on the line.

VikingPower
1/17/2005 12:53am,
The developement of testing will always be behind the developement of drugs that beat the tests. That's just the nature of the beast. ALL of these guys are on steroids, or at least a good 90% of them. Everyone wants to be at top of their game, and the administrations will always turn a blind eye if it puts more butts in the seats. This goes for pro baseball, football, wrestling or anything else with so much work and dedication on the line.

I wouldn't say all. There is a lot of drug-free lifters, athletes, and fighters out there who are outstanding and have never grabbed the needle.

Equipoise
1/17/2005 1:39am,
Yeah, I watched the 2004 comp Sat night, Mariusz didn't do so hot. He also looks juiced as ****. You can definitely tell this guy is on it. I wonder what he's taking......and how much it costs :-D

VikingPower
1/17/2005 1:41am,
Yeah, I watched the 2004 comp Sat night, Mariusz didn't do so hot. He also looks juiced as ****. You can definitely tell this guy is on it. I wonder what he's taking......and how much it costs :-D

Magnus is looking pretty chubby nowadays too. Still strong as ever though. I keep that above pic of Magnus curling 405lbs on a sign above my bed that says WAKE UP YOU LAZY ****, TIME TO WORK OUT! and it helps motivate me because I feel very much humbled :)

Equipoise
1/17/2005 1:46am,
Chubby? You've got to be kidding me.