PDA

View Full Version : aikido academy bullshido?

Pages : [1] 2

Blizerp
1/12/2005 5:32pm,
Just an aikido school I was thinking about trying out near my area but in the first video on the page he drops the guy in a way only a willing student would fall...
Kinda raised a red flag for me what do you guys think?

http://www.aikidoacademy.com/aikido_action.htm

actually the first video with weber is the only one that matters, he's the one teahing in my area.

Aesopian
1/12/2005 5:42pm,
This is standard aikido from what I understand.

If this is bullshido, well, that's an issue that only the 20 page war that follows from this thread can answer. Or not.

MUT
1/12/2005 5:49pm,
Just go and have a look. Its very hard to tell some of it look ok (the fact that they mention sparring and different ranges of combat) but some of it seems like typical BS aikido.

So go and have a look first.

Peter H.
1/12/2005 5:50pm,
Just looking at clip 1:
First move, there are two ways to drop a guy that are similar to what he was doing. This was neither one. I doubt what he did would work, but to give him the benefit of a doubt, I am going to try it this evening.

Second Move, no, just plain no. Again, he is half way between two different techniquies that will work form that position but he is in neither one.

Third Move, maybe, but unlikely you will land in that position. Much more effective and easier to do techniques from that position.

Fourth move, he is again stuck between two different techniques, either one will work, but what he is doing most likely will not.

Fifth move, that works, but he executed it poorly, even for a demonstration, his hand switching was bad and leaves his opponent too many openings out of the technique. He should have just executed the Shiho-nage to start with and skipped the fancy reversal into it.

Sixth move, ok, that was a pretty good ikkyu. Not the way I would do it, but I can't see any major faults with it.

Over all, while it is not the wort Aikido I have seen, it isn't good. He keeps getting stuck halfway between two different techniques, which is really common for someone who has had exposure to a lot of techniques but hasn't perfected any, nor spent that much time polishing them, learning the proper body positioning and mechanics for the techniques.

I would give this guy a pass.

Blizerp
1/12/2005 5:54pm,
Peter just curious how long have you been practicing aikido?

Peter H.
1/12/2005 5:57pm,
Looked at the rest of the videos. Carter is better, but his uke it to hoppy to say whether or not he would actually toss him.

Skip the club defense, that is pure BS.

The last video, yeah, that kokyu-nage works, usually.

Peter H.
1/12/2005 5:57pm,
Peter just curious how long have you been practicing aikido?
10 years, Nidan.

Blizerp
1/12/2005 6:02pm,
I'm trying to find the other website with a few more videos.
I like one that talks about the full contact sparring with boxing style punches but then theres another one with webber escaping the guard which is pathetic

Blizerp
1/12/2005 6:05pm,
http://www.aikidoacademy.com/events.htm

I must have over looked this picture of fine warriors.

(second pic down)

SamHarber
1/12/2005 6:17pm,
Guys a prick.
But he does advocate aliveness, he just seems crap at teaching.

Feryk
1/12/2005 6:52pm,
He has a 'knife defense' video further on in the site. I'm not an expert, but I don't think many people use a knife the way he's assuming they do (brings back memories of Jim Carrey's skit on In Living Color).

Maybe someone with more experience in this area can offer better commentary.

Sun Wukong
1/13/2005 3:21am,
Just an aikido school I was thinking about trying out near my area but in the first video on the page he drops the guy in a way only a willing student would fall...
Kinda raised a red flag for me what do you guys think?

http://www.aikidoacademy.com/aikido_action.htm

actually the first video with weber is the only one that matters, he's the one teahing in my area.Well, ask the guy if he thinks that MMA training is sufficient for self defence. If he says no, then jet. If he acts like an asshole, jet. If he says yeah sure or any variation therein then go ahead and stay if you like aikido.

Aikido is a hard martial art to really be good at. What you learn overall is good for some people. I'd probably suggest taking Judo over Aikido. I took them both at the same school when I first started out and found Judo more to my liking and that it gave a more practical understanding of fighting much more quickly.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great things in aikido, IMO, but practice can be really straining on your patience and the first several months of it usually fruitless as far as self defence goes.

Peter H.
1/13/2005 9:31am,
He has a 'knife defense' video further on in the site. I'm not an expert, but I don't think many people use a knife the way he's assuming they do (brings back memories of Jim Carrey's skit on In Living Color).

We call that the "Angry Wife" or the "Fatal Instinct" attack. Traditional Shomen-uchi strike with a knife.

The techniques he is doing there are alright. I would have finished the drop on the first one and taken the knife from the guy once I had pinned him.I also would have followed through on the second to the ground and removed the knife, but that is more of a stylistic difference and personal opinion than anything else.

I'm not seeing anything that is blowing my skirt up here. Going strictly by the videos, I would still pass and look around some more.

TheStanMan
1/13/2005 9:48am,

We call that the "psycho attack". His second defense is pretty similar to what I've been taught.

Akurra
1/13/2005 11:43am,
I have to say, the first video was better than expected, mostly because his students weren't jumping all over eachother at a turn of the sensei's hips. Those were pretty solid moves, and they would definately work (not so sure about those last couple after the kneeling throw). I might have a little problem about how he got them, but he executed them well and effectivelly. No "just catch the fist as he throws a jab" BS.

Seems similar to my Dojo. The real test of a dojo's quality is the students. If you have students that want to practice live drills then it will be good. Were I train some students uke like wooden dummies, and others put up a good fight complete with knees to the gut. People will usually aggregate with others with similar training goals. If there are enough high ranking people there who are there to learn how to fight, it should be a good place, or they wouldn't have stuck around for very long.

Blizerp
1/13/2005 2:06pm,
thanks guys.

It's just kinda hard for me to tell if it's good aikido or not being I have no experience in
aikido so it all looks kinda cool to me but I hate when students just flop over and never ground themselves in a decent stance (first throw on webers video) but for the most part it looked ok to me but I'm gonna keep my eyes open for another school. thx again.