PDA

View Full Version : Thread for people to hate on SUMO SQUATS!

Pages : [1] 2

PizDoff
1/11/2005 7:06pm,
Go for it.

I don't have time now, but I will definately be looking into this more.

One more thing, HORSE STANCES ARE THE DEADLY CORRECT STANCE FOR EVERYTHING!!!! Thank you.

Urban
1/11/2005 11:29pm,
the worst thing about squating wide is that people who squat heavy use a wide stance... God damn, like those bastards over at westide barbell, those fucking mastadons move around 1000 lb squats.... boy I sure would hate to lift that kind of weight: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459775 You may want to check out secret number 1.

Sure would suck to have the posterior chain strength those guys have...

PizDoff
1/12/2005 12:50am,
I think I've read that, then forgotten most of it, haha.
Now that my knees have been mostly rehab, I'm getting strength gains slowly.

BUT THAT DOES NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION REALLY!

Ronin
1/12/2005 8:15am,
I squat wide, well wider than shoulder width anyways.
It is more natural for me, I feel mor comfortable and I can control the weight better, I have a more stable base and, it makes my buttocks look sublime.

Quikfeet509
1/12/2005 9:40am,
i like to throw them in every once and awhile for a change of pace. but i used to hate front squats...

but eventually i got over that.

j416to
1/12/2005 10:15am,
I'm not exactly sure of your definition of "sumo" squats, but I squat with my feet wider than shoulder width. Like Ronin69 says, that just feels more comfortable, more stable.

Oh yeah, and punching a heavy bag in horse stance, "sprints" where you punch as hard and fast as you can for 60 seconds, is an exercise for exhausting both arms equally.

Liffguard
1/16/2005 6:09am,
I also squat wide, a little wider than shoulder width. I don't know if that would count as a sumo squat but like others have said, it jsut feels more natural.

TaeBo_Master
1/16/2005 6:11am,
That's because of muscle tightness. You're bypassing flexibility inadequacies in order to make it easier for yourself.

Liffguard
1/16/2005 8:53am,
How wide should it be?

VikingPower
1/17/2005 12:59am,
Sumos are better for tall, long-limbed guys as it doesn't stress the knees as much, at least from what I've read. I'm short with average limbs so I can do full squats with no trouble, so I don't really do much with sumos.

PizDoff
1/17/2005 1:04am,
Do you remember where you read that?

VikingPower
1/17/2005 1:05am,
Do you remember where you read that?

I think it was Super Squats but I can't remember. Internet search is in progress however :)

Here's an interest demo of them too:

http://www.fitnesslynn.com/quad5.htm

LOL!

Equipoise
1/17/2005 1:08am,
Well, what do you suggest TBM? I know a wider stance puts you at risk for exploding your kneecaps into orbit, but as people have mentioned one can do more weight with a wider stance. I've started doing them closer together. I dropped off about 100 lbs to get myself used to the new movement. I think I feel stronger with them closer together than I do if they're further apart. Most of my buddies have said to me that getting used to a closer stance will help you get stronger overall.

VikingPower
1/17/2005 1:22am,
No luck on the Internet but I'll see if I can dig up Super Squats and get back to you on that.

Quikfeet509
1/17/2005 5:14pm,
tom platz used to do all manner of angles and methods on legs and he had the first set of freaky legs in bodybuilding. it is important to note that he did use "creative recovery methods" (read: drugs), which would allow for him to blast his legs without overtraining as quickly. in addition, he also stretched the hell out of his legs.

dr. squat also recommended doing leg exercises with variability.

jwinch2
1/17/2005 5:25pm,
Hey guys, both of these studies clearly indicate that having a wider, more stable stance will allow for greater force generation for the same amount of muscle activation.

Like the commercial says, "Wider is Better".

Anderson KG, Behm DG.
Maintenance of EMG activity and loss of force output with instability.
J Strength Cond Res. 2004 Aug;18(3):637-40.

Behm DG, Anderson K, Curnew RS.
Muscle force and activation under stable and unstable conditions.
J Strength Cond Res. 2002 Aug;16(3):416-22.