PDA

View Full Version : Got my first stripe for my white belt in BJJ

Pages : [1] 2

Ippatsu182
1/10/2005 10:21am,
Well, this is hardly a landmark, but I've been taking BJJ for 3 months now and I guess I've been making some improvement. Although, I don't see it. I've got a long way to go before I ever get my blue. It seems so overwhelming at times. I'll just keep practicing and continue to try new things.

KhorneliusPraxx
1/10/2005 10:56am,
Congrates! For some reason, we don't use stripes for the white belts at my school. I will just be white until I achieve blue, then I can start earning stripes. Is this method extremely abnormal?

Ippatsu182
1/10/2005 11:07am,
Thanks man. I realized how foolish this might sound to some of the senior belts on this forum. I've just got to keep working. Maybe I'll be able to get my blue in another year or so.

Yrkoon9
1/10/2005 12:17pm,
If you are using the 3 stripes then belt change system than you are right on track for blue.

The only tricks to getting promoted faster are : Come to class more. Show up early and stay late. Train harder.

...interestingly enough those same promotion tricks will actually make you improve.

deus ex machina
1/10/2005 12:32pm,
I've found that the stripe system was and is implemented in response to the lack of commitment exhibited by practitioners who find the jump between belts too long and tedious and who need tangible symbols of their "improvement". You've revealed yourself as one of those practitioners by posting on the Internet about how you got a fucking stripe on your white belt. PWNED.

5FingazofDeath
1/10/2005 12:39pm,
Yeah, well I just got my first red stripe on my dick from your momma's lipstick.

Just kidding - congrats. Now your only a year away from any "real" rank in BJJ. But its better that way. BJJ I think is one of those arts you cant fake, and cant cheat. Keep it up - you got a long journey ahead.

Boyd
1/10/2005 2:33pm,
*golf clap*

Chris.B
1/10/2005 6:19pm,
Well, congrads! I hope you continue to do well in your studies!

Lights Out
1/10/2005 6:31pm,
Forget those jerks. Congrats and keep them stripes coming bro.

taikwido
1/10/2005 6:35pm,
I've found that the stripe system was and is implemented in response to the lack of commitment exhibited by practitioners who find the jump between belts too long and tedious and who need tangible symbols of their "improvement". You've revealed yourself as one of those practitioners by posting on the Internet about how you got a fucking stripe on your white belt. PWNED.

The belt/stripe system is implemented to generate revenue while keeping "entry cost" of tuition low.

This of course, leads to the downfall of schools. Because one must promote your students as fast as possible to afford the bling-bling. Ergo, teachers are less demanding and students get less from the experience.

The worst side effect are 8 year old 3rd dans who cannot perform anything but their current form.

Shuma-Gorath
1/10/2005 6:37pm,
Measure your progress with tap-outs, not stripes.

The belt/stripe system is implemented to generate revenue while keeping "entry cost" of tuition low.

This of course, leads to the downfall of schools. Because one must promote your students as fast as possible to afford the bling-bling. Ergo, teachers are less demanding and students get less from the experience.

The worst side effect are 8 year old 3rd dans who cannot perform anything but their current form.

That has very little to do with the BJJ system. You earn those stripes by getting results in class.

Yrkoon9
1/10/2005 6:41pm,
And in some cases, in some schools, stripes are awarded for competition performance. A practice at my gym that I am beginning to question...

Aesopian
1/10/2005 6:49pm,
Well done on getting the stripe.

My school doesn't really care about stripes. I've never heard of anyone other than the little kids getting one. I'll probably just be a white belt until I'm a blue, since my instructor just doesn't care.

JohnnyS
1/10/2005 7:03pm,
Congrats on the stripe!

I think the stripes are a good system, more-so for the white belts than anyone else. Since it takes around two years for somene from our school to move from white belt to blue belt (incidently, the average time a lot of TMA's take to get to black belt), it's important for people to see that they *are* progressing. BJJ is such a hard slog that it's sometimes hard to know if you're getting any better, because everyone else is too. Stripes are a way of showing this.

Stripes also help the instructor to know that someone with a couple of stripes is ready to learn something a little bit more advanced than someone who has just put on a white belt for the first time. We have a syllabus for the four stripes given out before blue belt, so students need to know certain basic techniques and control drills for each grade. This ensures that by the time someone gets to blue belt they've got a good allround knowledge of the game.

Shuma-Gorath
1/10/2005 7:06pm,
(incidently, the average time a lot of TMA's take to get to black belt)

Quoi? The average is at least double that. I was in a zero-credentials McDojo and it still took me six years of being the top student to earn my black belt.

supercrap
1/10/2005 7:10pm,
Congratulations dude! Any tournaments coming up?

Congrats on the stripe!

I think the stripes are a good system, more-so for the white belts than anyone else. Since it takes around two years for somene from our school to move from white belt to blue belt (incidently, the average time a lot of TMA's take to get to black belt), it's important for people to see that they *are* progressing. BJJ is such a hard slog that it's sometimes hard to know if you're getting any better, because everyone else is too. Stripes are a way of showing this.

Stripes also help the instructor to know that someone with a couple of stripes is ready to learn something a little bit more advanced than someone who has just put on a white belt for the first time. We have a syllabus for the four stripes given out before blue belt, so students need to know certain basic techniques and control drills for each grade. This ensures that by the time someone gets to blue belt they've got a good allround knowledge of the game. Great post.

I've found that the stripe system was and is implemented in response to the lack of commitment exhibited by practitioners who find the jump between belts too long and tedious and who need tangible symbols of their "improvement". You've revealed yourself as one of those practitioners by posting on the Internet about how you got a fucking stripe on your white belt. PWNED. **** post.