PDA

View Full Version : Taekwondo works on women...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kungfoolss
1/07/2005 12:24am,
Woman beaten to death, police say

Thursday, January 6, 2005

By DAVID HENCH, Portland Press Herald Writer

http://midcoast.villagesoup.com/pix/News/200501/P45674.jpg
David Haraden. (Image courtesy of Knox County Jail)

A Rockport woman whose body was found Tuesday in a Portland hotel room was beaten to death, police said. No one was charged immediately with killing Maxine Witham, although her boyfriend was being held by police on an unrelated charge.

Police found Witham, 35, lying on the bed of a 12th-floor room at the Eastland Park Hotel. She had been beaten on the head and torso, with severe injuries to her neck and her vital organs, Portland Police Chief Michael Chitwood said Wednesday. Witham's boyfriend, David Haraden, was in the room with her body when police arrived, and has a history of abusing her, Chitwood said. "The deceased has been victimized numerous times by this Haraden guy," Chitwood said. "I can't identify anybody as a suspect, but he's where he belongs. . . . He ain't going nowhere."

Haraden is a martial arts expert and is on probation from Massachusetts for assaulting a police officer a year ago, police said.

He was being held without bail in the Cumberland County Jail on a charge of violating probation by drinking alcohol. Authorities must hold a hearing within five days of charging a suspect with violating probation, which could lead to the person's release. "I expect to wrap up our investigation by Friday," Chitwood said.

Haraden is 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighs 170 pounds and is a black belt in tae kwon do, police said.

He was charged with assaulting Witham in November 2003, the same month he was convicted of assaulting a police officer in Massachusetts. He then was arrested six times for contacting Witham while the domestic violence charge was pending, which was a violation of his bail conditions, Chitwood said. Haraden was not convicted of the assault because Witham refused to testify, Chitwood said, but he was convicted in March of the bail violations. Two months after the assault charge was dropped, police were called to the couple's home on Main Street in Rockport by neighbors, who were worried that Haraden and Witham were having a violent altercation.

Authorities found Witham with her jaw broken in two places, and though they suspected Haraden, Witham insisted that she had fallen down stairs, Chitwood said. A week ago, Haraden and Witham traveled to Newburyport, Mass., where he faced a hearing on revoking his probation stemming from the assault on a police officer. As part of his probation, Haraden was required to avoid drugs and alcohol, to submit to random testing for them, to undergo substance abuse treatment and to attend Alcoholics Anonymous. The pair checked into the Eastland, at Congress and High streets, on Dec. 30 on their way back to Rockport, Chitwood said. "Apparently he made several calls (Tuesday) about Maxine being dead," Chitwood said. One person who was called notified police.

Police discovered Witham's body and Haraden in the room when they arrived at 11:15 a.m. She was lying on the bed, and some effort had been made to clean the room, Chitwood said. An autopsy showed she had several internal injuries, especially to her liver, as well as injuries to her head and neck, he said.

"She probably died a very violent, prolonged death," Chitwood said.

Witham had been dead for 24 to 36 hours when police found her, the medical examiner told police. That means she died on Sunday or Monday. Haraden turned 48 on Sunday. Police interviewed Haraden through much of Tuesday and spoke with him again Wednesday morning. Chitwood said Haraden has not been cooperative. Haraden declined the newspaper's request for an interview Wednesday. Detectives are working with the Maine Attorney General's Office on the investigation. Police say that in cases where a suspect cannot flee, there is no urgency to bring a murder charge. Family members had tried to get Witham to leave Haraden. But it can be hard to persuade an abused partner to leave, said Kathleen Morgan, executive director of New Hope for Women, an advocacy group for abused women serving Knox, Lincoln and Waldo counties.

"What she wants is for him to stop being abusive and be the man she thought she married or is living with," Morgan said. "He makes all the right promises after he's done abusing, promises it will never happen again. She wants that to be the truth, so she stays." Domestic violence is the leading cause of homicide in Maine, with roughly half of the state's killings in recent years attributed to it.

Information about domestic violence support services in the midcoast can be found at 1-800-522-3304 or on the Web at www.mcedv.org.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/050106killing.shtml

Kayne
1/07/2005 3:43am,
Let's go beat up David Haraden! Don't worry, he can't fight back, he only does TKD. :)

Fucking creep.

lifetime
1/07/2005 4:00am,
Guy looks like George Carlin.

SLJ
1/07/2005 6:04am,
What a shitbag.

MUT
1/07/2005 6:09am,
What a shitbag.

I agree.

The Coach
1/08/2005 4:16am,
Well, he'll get what's coming to him.

Yrkoon9
1/08/2005 5:06pm,
70% of the blame on him. 30% on her.

Too bad for sure. He's going to prison where I am sure at 5'7" he's going to spend a lot of time practicing that TKD, or getting punked for cigarettes. He does have that greasy scumbag felon look about him.

Poop Loops
1/08/2005 5:12pm,
He's smiling in the mugshot. That's just scary. He doesn't even regret doing it or anything.

PL

Chris.B
1/08/2005 8:29pm,
70% of the blame on him. 30% on her.

Too bad for sure. He's going to prison where I am sure at 5'7" he's going to spend a lot of time practicing that TKD, or getting punked for cigarettes. He does have that greasy scumbag felon look about him.

No, I don't see how you can blame her. Why because she didn't leave? Remeber she was madly in love with him, it's not as easy as it's said. How is her not being strong enough to leave him her fault???

It's 100% his fault that he is an abusive drunk.

Equipoise
1/08/2005 8:38pm,
It seems the term expert is being thrown around with little or no thought prior to shitting on the reputation of people that do martial arts. He'll have lots of fun in prison.

Yrkoon9
1/08/2005 9:27pm,
No, I don't see how you can blame her. Why because she didn't leave? Remeber she was madly in love with him, it's not as easy as it's said. How is her not being strong enough to leave him her fault???

It's 100% his fault that he is an abusive drunk.

Negative.

If you stay in a relationship with an abusive person you understand you are going to take abuse. If he broke your jaw in 2 places its pretty obvious he is serious about kicking your ass.

Sorry, as reprehensable as these shitheads are the stupid bitches that stay with them deserve part of the blame.

That whole 'in love' and not being strong enough to leave kind of crap is simply not taking responsibility. Ohhhh its not my fault I crashed into those people and killed them, Im a drunk - therefore lets blame the alcohol. No ************ you got drunk and got behind the wheel of a car. The results of this behavior are common knowledge.

Ohhhh its not my fault, its not his fault, its not thier fault blah blah blah. Crap. Take some responsibility for your personal actions. You make choices in life. She chose to stay with some seriously abusive individual and got killed. Not a very wise choice. She didn't ask to be killed, but it isnt like she couldn't see it coming either. Thats why I assign her 30% of the blame. Obviously the overwhelming majority of blame goes to him - but she gets 30% just for being a stupid ass who takes the abuse.

Kayne
1/08/2005 10:31pm,
Let's hope that Bubba treats him as well as he treated his girlfriend.

liuzg150181
1/09/2005 1:35am,
Negative.

If you stay in a relationship with an abusive person you understand you are going to take abuse. If he broke your jaw in 2 places its pretty obvious he is serious about kicking your ass.

Sorry, as reprehensable as these shitheads are the stupid bitches that stay with them deserve part of the blame.

That whole 'in love' and not being strong enough to leave kind of crap is simply not taking responsibility. Ohhhh its not my fault I crashed into those people and killed them, Im a drunk - therefore lets blame the alcohol. No ************ you got drunk and got behind the wheel of a car. The results of this behavior are common knowledge.

Ohhhh its not my fault, its not his fault, its not thier fault blah blah blah. Crap. Take some responsibility for your personal actions. You make choices in life. She chose to stay with some seriously abusive individual and got killed. Not a very wise choice. She didn't ask to be killed, but it isnt like she couldn't see it coming either. Thats why I assign her 30% of the blame. Obviously the overwhelming majority of blame goes to him - but she gets 30% just for being a stupid ass who takes the abuse.
There is something known as Stockholm syndrome,pal~~~ :boxing:

liuzg150181
1/09/2005 1:36am,
He's smiling in the mugshot. That's just scary. He doesn't even regret doing it or anything.

PL
He is a moral-blind person,of a psychopath personality.

Kistrael
1/09/2005 1:54am,
He's guilty on looks alone. Jeez, he looks like the kind of person who talks to his hand.

Can Chaser
1/09/2005 1:58am,
Negative.

I daresay that you've never been in abusive relationship.

Even as she was being slowly, horribly murdered, she was probably either thinking that things would get better, or that he just had a temper, or blaming HERSELF for "making him mad."

Christ. Do NOT blame people when you have NO FUCKING IDEA what it is like to be in that sort of circumstance.

I am not saying that she should have stayed with him, but I am saying that chances are that she truly had no idea of the atrocities he was committing, and was likely blaming herself for what happened to her, even thinking that she deserved it.

Both sides of that are bad. It SUCKS to be the victim, and there is something mentally disconnected in guys like that.

This happens to damn much, and there are not words to describe the fact that it even goes as far as to tarnish martial arts, bringing his training into it, rather than purely his shrivelled ****-****-brained-ass-fucking-bastardness.