PDA

View Full Version : busy busy Black Belt Magazine

Pages : [1] 2 3

afronaut
1/03/2005 5:09pm,
I was doing work-related research (no, really, I do academic research for people studying event for sports and recreation) and I came across these nuggets of goodness from Black Belt Magazine. Enjoy:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=21&keyword=bombs&summary=1&startsum=1

How to defend yourself against terrorist suicide bombing. For the armed commando who reads BB and has no other training, I'm assuming. Look for their future articles on elbow strikes to prevent cerebral blood clots and eye-finger jabs that stop diabetes.

They also ran one about "What if you are training potential terrorists at your school?" which I can't find a link to, but I can guess what was in it:
1) Don't show middle-easterners t3h d34dl3y techniques like kiai-jutsu.
2) If you think you have been training a terrorist, alert Homeland Security to the following:
Warnings of carrying out attacks in someplace called "the street."

Suspects will likely be overweight, humorless virgins

Peter H.
1/03/2005 5:41pm,
One day I will look up the rejection letter we have from blackbelt rejecting an article about real cops doing real training. Got it the same month they printed an aritcle on Dillman and his KOs.

PeedeeShaolin
1/03/2005 5:47pm,
Black Belt Magazine sucks. Its the single WORST martial arts publication that I can think of. They'll whore themselves out to ANY fucking SLEAZY advertiser that throws money their way.

Give me a day and I'll prove it....

Dochter
1/03/2005 5:53pm,
Have you seen the ads in Grappling?

The irony makes that worse than the blatant lunacy of BB Mag.

Shuma-Gorath
1/03/2005 5:54pm,
I've entertained the idea of transcribing or scanning a section from Black Belt every month and making fun of it, but I later realized that doing so involves giving them money.

Have you seen the ads in Grappling?

The irony makes that worse than the blatant lunacy of BB Mag.

The RBSD ad in the December issue made me crack up. I wonder if any BJJ black belts (or even white belts) actually read that **** and experience the anti-epiphany the company is hoping for.

Stick
1/03/2005 6:00pm,
Absolutly trash-tastic

Shuma-Gorath
1/03/2005 6:05pm,
You may think identifying such a criminal and taking action before he kills is impossible, but there are telltale signs that students of reality-based personal people as possible.

what.

Wounded Ronin
1/03/2005 6:06pm,
I was just looking at this month's issue of Black Belt at a Barnes and Nobles. Two things from it are memorable.

1.) An ad in which an old man with enormous glasses was trying to sell me the secret of Ikken Hisatsu, which would allow me to defeat anyone with one deadly technique, because that worked really well in UFC.

2.) Cathy Long wrote this long article about why you're less likely to injure yourself if you palm strike someone than if you punch them. I was pretty shocked since that is hardcore Captian Obvious territory. Why does Cathy Long, or anyone else, even bother to write something like that?

ImAlrdyNum
1/03/2005 6:07pm,
Are there ANY good mags? I started reading "Grappling", but have slowly grown tired of it as well. If I have to look at another picture of Royler demonstrating super secret guard passes that 5 years olds learn their first week of BJJ, I'm gonna puke.

ImAlrdyNum
1/03/2005 6:08pm,
I was just looking at this month's issue of Black Belt at a Barnes and Nobles. Two things from it are memorable.

1.) An ad in which an old man with enormous glasses was trying to sell me the secret of Ikken Hisatsu, which would allow me to defeat anyone with one deadly technique, because that worked really well in UFC.

2.) Cathy Long wrote this long article about why you're less likely to injure yourself if you palm strike someone than if you punch them. I was pretty shocked since that is hardcore Captian Obvious territory. Why does Cathy Long, or anyone else, even bother to write something like that?

I'd like to take Cathy Long and show her the correct way to palm something.

Shuma-Gorath
1/03/2005 6:15pm,

You forgot the huge feature on how XMA is the future of performance art.

Wounded Ronin
1/03/2005 6:24pm,
You're right. It's because I didn't actually get around to actually reading that article.

SRK85
1/03/2005 8:48pm,
I dont get it? if someone has a bomb starppaed to themselves run. Dont try to fight them.

Shuma-Gorath
1/03/2005 9:01pm,
I dont get it? if someone has a bomb starppaed to themselves run. Dont try to fight them.

You're now officially worse than Raven.

klbdoyle
1/03/2005 9:13pm,
I stopped reading BB mag when Ralph Machio (sp?) from karate kid was on the cover. LOL

Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
1/03/2005 9:34pm,
"Once a bomber is in place, the minimum distance you want to be away from ground zero is 1,000 feet, or about one city block. "

http://www.mvschool.com/us/images/images02-03/immersion03/HeadScratch.jpg