PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Scrapper review: Chuck Norris Autobiography

Scrapper
12/26/2004 7:26pm,
Just finished reading "my Story" the Chuck Norris autobiography. Pretty interesting stuff. There is an awful lot of religious proselytizing in it, but some of the stuff he has done is highly cool. The book reads like an epsode of "Walker: Texas Ranger." Disjointed, unimaginative, and fast. (read it in one 2-hour sitting)

Chuck has trained with, or trained pretty much everyone of any significance in hollywood. He trained with Tak Kubota, Bruce Lee, Fumio Demura, Helio gracie, the Machados, and gene LeBell, just to name a few. He has black belts in Judo, Tangt Soo Do, and BJJ (under carlos Machado).

One of the anecdotes in the book (which stretched credibility to its limit) was how while visiting the Machados in California, he tapped out 21 Machado black Belts in a row. I for one had no idea Chuck was such a quality grappler.

In the book Chuck also admits to never being in a real fight. The cool thing is that he doesn't feel like a self-defence expert becasue of that. He always refers to himself as a martial artist and distinguishes between real fighting and Karate class.

I was always a fan of Chuck, but I sort of assumed that he was going to be a typical traditional stylist, assuming without any proof that his style was perfect. He really doesn't and is constantly trtaining in other styles.

he did, however, promote a 9-year-old to black belt.

It's a good quick read, and an interesting insight on a great martial artist. The religion is a little heavy, but if you can get past that, it is worth picking up.

Sam Browning
12/26/2004 7:44pm,
[QUOTE=Scrapper]J

One of the anecdotes in the book (which stretched credibility to its limit) was how while visiting the Machados in California, he tapped out 21 Machado black Belts in a row. I for one had no idea Chuck was such a quality grappler.

QUOTE]

The Machados had 21 BJJ black belts at a particular location? Either Chuck is bullshitting or the Machados are going on a standard lowering promotion spree.

Don Gwinn
12/26/2004 10:32pm,
Maybe he tapped out *TO* 21 in a row. Typos are hell.
;)

punchingdummy
12/26/2004 10:59pm,
I had always heard he was a BJJ brown belt (and is listed as such on BJJ.com). Him having a black belt is news.

tai-gip
12/28/2004 12:56am,
Just finished reading "my Story" the Chuck Norris autobiography. Pretty interesting stuff. There is an awful lot of religious proselytizing in it, but some of the stuff he has done is highly cool. The book reads like an epsode of "Walker: Texas Ranger." Disjointed, unimaginative, and fast. (read it in one 2-hour sitting)

Chuck has trained with, or trained pretty much everyone of any significance in hollywood. He trained with Tak Kubota, Bruce Lee, Fumio Demura, Helio gracie, the Machados, and gene LeBell, just to name a few. He has black belts in Judo, Tangt Soo Do, and BJJ (under carlos Machado).

In the book Chuck also admits to never being in a real fight. The cool thing is that he doesn't feel like a self-defence expert becasue of that. He always refers to himself as a martial artist and distinguishes between real fighting and Karate class.

I was always a fan of Chuck, but I sort of assumed that he was going to be a typical traditional stylist, assuming without any proof that his style was perfect. He really doesn't and is constantly trtaining in other styles.

he did, however, promote a 9-year-old to black belt.

It's a good quick read, and an interesting insight on a great martial artist. The religion is a little heavy, but if you can get past that, it is worth picking up.

Is chuck norris a martial artist ??

feedback
12/28/2004 3:49am,
NO TAI-GIP NO