PDA

View Full Version : The Graduation Fiasco (with pics)

Antagony
12/24/2004 12:11am,
I just graduated with my bachelor's in Computer Science last weekend.

The graduation event itself was kind of bizarre. There was absolutely no security. I walked in and they asked me my name. Then they handed me a card with my name on it and a number. They didn't check for any form of ID, so really I could've taken anyone's card.

More about the card . . . the card given to me is the card that the announcer reads off of. So, I could have printed out a new label that said something like "<Announcer's Name> is a giant ******." and observed his reaction upon reading it in front of hundreds (thousands?) of people.

Note that not a single thing has been told to any of us. There was no rehearsal. So just a couple of minute before the ceremony starts we are simply told to get in line according to the numbers on our cards. I think this was some kind of "final test" to see if we REALLY get to graduate.

All the business majors failed miserably.

Anyway, we're then scuttled out in a line and what-not. Sit there through boring worthless speeches, one of which had to have been given by someone who has never done any public speaking before. Then we get in yet another line. To receive our fake diplomas.

Much to my surprise, they have us walk through an assembly line where are pictures are taken in two different spots, and then there's another photographer to take our picture when we shake the President's hand.

Now at the first "photo station" I had no idea what was going on. I had people angrily talking with their Inside Voices (remember those?) telling me to stand behind a line, now stand over here. And a camera is in my face. So I shoot the metal sign.

At the next "photo station" I'm slightly more prepared so I give the biggest grin my face muscles will permit and throw the sign again. The photographer probably thinks I'm "one of those gangbangers".

So now that I've been warmed up with two photographs, I'm ready to put on a show. So when I get to the President on stage for my final picture, I decide to give a goofy-ass pose for the camera . . . Only I gave it to the VIDEO camera instead of the PHOTO camera. Dammit all!

Anyway, these are the "previews" of my photographs, and no I didn't order any of them.

http://www.cs.txstate.edu/~cc1014/graduation/portrait.jpg

LOOKING THE WRONG WAY
http://www.cs.txstate.edu/~cc1014/graduation/handshake.jpg

FUKK YEAH
http://www.cs.txstate.edu/~cc1014/graduation/flag.jpg

Holy crap, people
http://www.cs.txstate.edu/~cc1014/graduation/stadium.jpg

P.S. - I'm unemployed.

Bang!
12/24/2004 12:15am,
No respect at all, those kids. I'll bet he listens to that rock and roll music too.

Judah Maccabee
12/24/2004 12:18am,
In HS, you got the "sleeve" that the diploma was kept in on stage, then picked up the diploma after the ceremony was over. If you did something stupid, such as a forward flip off the stage (happened), or light up a cigar as you walked down, your diploma got mailed to your house a month later.

College, still waiting on till the end of this year.

gojuJKDdude
12/24/2004 12:20am,
where did you go to school. I just graduated too

Equipoise
12/24/2004 12:20am,
http://www.cs.txstate.edu/~cc1014/graduation/flag.jpg

AMERICA **** YEAH!!

Congrats you lucky bastard. One more year till I'm free myself.

Hedgehogey
12/24/2004 12:25am,
Oh my god, you just ruined Chance's graduation. You're the worst person ever.

Aesopian
12/24/2004 12:28am,
"<Announcer's Name> is a giant fagbot" would have been so much cooler. Get with the times.

Oh, and WELL DONE! Might I presuade you to move to Florida, so that you might be unemployed and live on the beach?

Equipoise
12/24/2004 12:31am,
Aesopian needs a boyfriend.

Stick
12/24/2004 12:40am,
Congratulations man ^_^

I'm with you on the unemployed.... I really start looking in this my last semester- even taking a class on it.

The thing is, I was slated to graduate in December really..... if I had just tacked on a 3 hour science course to my fall semester (15 already) I'd be done.... but let's just say I'm not quite prepared to leave the ivory tower.

I believe the phenomenon is "graduation anxiety".

Hope you find a job you enjoy.

MaverickZ
12/24/2004 12:48am,
Congratulations man ^_^

I'm with you on the unemployed.... I really start looking in this my last semester- even taking a class on it.

The thing is, I was slated to graduate in December really..... if I had just tacked on a 3 hour science course to my fall semester (15 already) I'd be done.... but let's just say I'm not quite prepared to leave the ivory tower.

I believe the phenomenon is "graduation anxiety".

Hope you find a job you enjoy.

this is what graduate school was invented for.

Aesopian
12/24/2004 12:50am,
Aesopian needs a boyfriend.Are you offering?

Equipoise
12/24/2004 12:51am,
I'm not a cheap date.

Aesopian
12/24/2004 12:52am,
I guess you're just a cheap BJ.

Stick
12/24/2004 12:53am,
Yup, that is high on the list.

I ended the semester better than I figured I would 2 A's, 2 B's, 1 C so my GPA is hanging in at a 3.15 so that's essentially what I'll ahve to apply to grad school.... will need to kick ass on the GRE, but I honestly think all my MA will look good as an extracuricular, what with helping teach...... but then do grad schools even give two shits about extra curicular?