PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy Ghost (not Recon)

Beneath Contempt
12/23/2004 5:09pm,
I was listening to a programme on the radio which mentioned something about Tom Clancy having a ghostwriter. I was quite surprised to hear this, having read most of his books.

Could they be talking about the franchised books (the Op-Centre things) which say "created by Tom Clancy", or are they actually saying that the central books like Red October, Patriot Games etc. were written by someone else?

Does anyone know for a fact?

Dochter
12/23/2004 6:08pm,
Either a ghostwriter or machine.

No one person can write that many pages in a lifetime.

Oh wait we also have the wheel of time and stephen king.

Now I'm stumped.

Raven
12/23/2004 6:12pm,
After I failed to finish Teeth of the Tiger, I would have to say he has a ghostwriter now. The depth of characters, the complexity of his stories, and the feel of a Clancy novel was not present in that book. I'm not sure what Red Rabbit was like , as that came after TOTT.

Beneath Contempt
12/24/2004 12:02pm,
Interesting.

I don't understand the motivation, though. Surely he's got more money than the CIA now, and he gets tons from film and video game licensing. What's the point of having someone else write in your name, just to make a bit more?

Raven
12/25/2004 9:50am,
Interesting.

I don't understand the motivation, though. Surely he's got more money than the CIA now, and he gets tons from film and video game licensing. What's the point of having someone else write in your name, just to make a bit more?

You raise some valid points. maybe he's just lost the touch. As Dochtor said, he's written a shitload of pages. He has to burn out sometime.

lifetime
12/25/2004 12:53pm,
Tom Clancy does have a ghostwriter. This shittier books like the Op Centre ones and the Splinter Cell novelisation, for example, while having his name on the cover, are written by someone else. The writing style is completely different.