PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives and the racist stigma

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

TheManchu
12/19/2004 3:07pm,
I was reading an old thread where a conservative commented on the "unfair" racist tag that the GOP has worn for some years, a comment which I found a bit naive, so I thought I'd start a thread on it.

While I don't think conservatives are by default racist, I do think that the GOP members are entirely aware of racism in their ranks and use this for benefit. Two notable examples:

1) The welcoming of Strom Thurmond and his ilk when he defected from the Democrats due to Civil Rights issues(more correctly, his interest in continuing Jim Crow laws and segregation despite the obvious failure of the Separate But Equal policy, benefitting the white portion of his constituency at the cost of the black portion). Without the GOP to legitimize them, the Dixiecrats would have appeared to be throwbacks from the Civil War era(more than they did), which would have been a devisive blow in developing an environment of equality. By accepting them in, and during eight years of Nixon largely turning a blind eye to enforcement of the Civil Rights Act as passed by Johnson, the GOP did very little to actually promote the program they helped make, all the while apparently biding time to complain about the related social programs that their inactivity made essential, and would possibly have been minimized had their need to add red states not overcome their need to look out for the good of their country and small government.

2) The fact that one reason consistently cited when discussing Bush's defeat of McCain in the 2000 Republican primaries was the call received largely by urban whites asking how they would feel if they knew that McCain had an illegitimate child with a black woman. Specifically citing the woman to be black, and specifically targetting the call to rural whites, makes pretty clear that racism was the deciding factor in the effectiveness of those calls, and since the GOP primaries targetted republicans, well, those would be the republican racists that the Dems supposedly made up.

Consequently, GOP meddling with Civil Right's issues including affirmitive action should always be viewed with some concern, since the party is in part made up by, and in the whole unable to directly counter, crackers who can't hold jobs unless they prevent others from holding them first.

Responses from all sides, both cracker and Democrat, are welcome.

PeedeeShaolin
12/19/2004 3:21pm,
FUCKING DEMOCRATS AND ROBERT BYRD!

BILL CLINTON RUINED THIS COUNTRY!

TheManchu
12/19/2004 3:45pm,
I stand corrected. Originally, I thought these were crackers, i.e. those who wed their cousins and produce offspring out of lack of education and general backwardness. Apparently, while they do do this, it is not out of backwardness and lack of education, but simply another masterful blow by the South for state's rights.

Forgive my error.

Stick
12/19/2004 5:42pm,
Good luck here, prepare for t3h fl4m3!

Also, I loathe states' rights; It is highly unlikely I'll be living in the same state my entire life, I'd rather have some consisstancy in the laws I have to adapt to, **** "local communities", make it all federal!!!!!

BWAHAHAHA BIG GOVERNMENT! MORE RED TAPE! RECYCLE ALL TOWN HALLS!

wait, waitwaitwait...... uh, I said none of that.... nope, none of it- eh, don't look up there, look down here!

http://www.mantasoft.co.uk/_stuff/hypnotoad.gif

HYPNOTOAD HAS WIPED THIS FROM YOUR MEMORY!

Bloody fine weather we're having, isn't it?

feedback
12/19/2004 7:50pm,

Also, I loathe states' rights; It is highly unlikely I'll be living in the same state my entire life, I'd rather have some consisstancy in the laws I have to adapt to, **** "local communities", make it all federal!!!!!

wait, waitwaitwait...... uh, I said none of that.... nope, none of it- eh, don't look up there, look down here!

what the ****?

afronaut
12/20/2004 1:33pm,
Yes, that awful Clinton with his job boom and lack of war and reduction of crime and poverty and his heartless balancing of the budget.

I for one am totally relieved that's over.

Whew. Thanks, Pee Dee. Well made point by the way. Feels like I'm back at the Algonquin roundtable already.

afronaut
12/20/2004 1:37pm,
It's been my experience that most Republicans think that your position in life has only to do with the effort you put forth and nothing else, in spite of evidence to the contrary. Given that, if black and hispanics have a hard time, it has nothing to do with racism, but rather something wrong with them as a race. After all, look at me. I'm rich and I worked my way up to vice-president of the company all the way from the middle management job my dad got me. Elbow grease, that's me.

Leodom
12/20/2004 1:41pm,
Do you realize that the Civil Rights act of 1964 was supported by a much larger percentage of Republicans than Democrats.

Republicans are seen as racist only by those who buy into the crap that minorities can't do anything on their own and need government help to compete. I believe Bush calls it the "soft bigotry of low expectations".

Racism is continuing to take the "black" vote for granted while not doing a damn thing to really help. See Democratic control of Congress for 40 years prior to 1994.

edit: (looking for the expected nega-varrot from Dai-Tenshi and Thaiboxerken)

Equipoise
12/20/2004 1:56pm,
The President to me has very little effect on anything-- My away message during the election

"Choose and Lose.. 2004. Okay, the truth is your vote doesn't matter. Gas prices will still rise. You'll still work that pointless job to buy more things you don't need and more than likely really don't want. The top 1% will still be rich. Education will still suck. The world will still hate us behind our backs but run to us with their problems. Morality will still be debatable. Life will still be unfair. You will still be a drone who's soul and mind is owned by a corporation. Do yourself a favor on election day, don't bother. "

It's all bullshit, why bother arguing about it? Oh and anyone that plays the race card for hand outs, help ups or whatever the dick you wanna call it, should be shot. I've said this before on another thread. Race should be irrelevant in what you can do. Because you're black doesn't mean you should get into a school with 400 less points on your SAT or a point lower in your GPA. **** the ACLU, the NAACP and that goddamned United Negro College fund. It should just be ALU, The national association of ALL people and the United Citizen College fund. God fucking dammit #@[email protected]#&(DHQSDA My f'n Gym is closed too.

Peter H.
12/20/2004 2:11pm,

Hypno-frog is not effective without the sound effects.

Peter H.
12/20/2004 2:17pm,
Sigh,
As the token race traitor honkey cracker (AKA: The Man):

The Race Card is a cheap way to get votes (much like being against gay marriage, pro-christianity, for national defense, against crime, either side of the abortion debate).

Whether you believe it or not, you tow the line of your base to get votes and get elected. Sucks, yeah, sure does. Welcome to the real world, best liar wins.

Nobody wants black kids starved, but if it buys you votes to say that's what Republicans are doing when they change school lunch funding, damn well better believe someone will say it.

And remember, no matter how outlandish your position, there is always a small segment of society that will buy it.

In that case, I invented Carpet, everyone with some needs to send me money. Not much, 10 cents each will do.

Thank you

afronaut
12/20/2004 4:12pm,
Do you realize that the Civil Rights act of 1964 was supported by a much larger percentage of Republicans than Democrats.

Yes, the liberal Republicans supported it and the Dixie Democrats opposed it. The Civil Rights acts started a period of party re-alignment that took those Southern Dems. into what is now the Republican Party and the pro-Civil Rights Repubs into the Democratic party.

The Republican Party that pushed through the Civil Rights act bears no similiarity to the party now. Can you really see today's Republican Party supporting a law asserting federal authority over states, especially in regards to race?

Republicans are seen as racist only by those who buy into the crap that minorities can't do anything on their own and need government help to compete. I believe Bush calls it the "soft bigotry of low expectations".
Bush isn't smart or eloquent enough to come up with a phrase like that. I smell speechwriter. And since 90% of black voters are Democrats, it's not just us silly white liberals who suspect Republicans of being full of **** when it comes to race.

[QUOTERacism is continuing to take the "black" vote for granted while not doing a damn thing to really help. See Democratic control of Congress for 40 years prior to 1994.
[/QUOTE]

I prefer not to practice the soft bigotry of assuming that black voters don't understand what the best use of their vote is.

Black poverty and the social problems that tend to effect black neighborhoods more (violence, public health lapses, etc.) all improve under Democratic presidents.

afronaut
12/20/2004 4:22pm,
Oh and anyone that plays the race card for hand outs, help ups or whatever the dick you wanna call it, should be shot.

Oooooooooooooookay.

I've said this before on another thread. Race should be irrelevant in what you can do.

OK, did everybody get that! I said "Race is now irrelevant!" It is now so. Whew, that was easy. What's next? Crime? Hey, stop shooting each other! This is easy. We'll be done by dinner.

Because you're black doesn't mean you should get into a school with 400 less points on your SAT or a point lower in your GPA.
That's not how it works.

**** the ACLU, the NAACP and that goddamned United Negro College fund. It should just be ALU, The national association of ALL people and the United Citizen College fund.

Does saying something shouldn't be a certain way suddenly mean it's not?

Leodom
12/20/2004 4:27pm,
Black poverty and the social problems that tend to effect black neighborhoods more (violence, public health lapses, etc.) all improve under Democratic presidents.

Bullshit!! Presidents don't have that power. These are affected more by local laws and to a lesser extent, federal legislation passed through Congress. The president isn't much more than a mouthpiece for a particular viewpoint with little power to directly affect these things in the short term.

Peter H.
12/20/2004 4:29pm,

You shouldn't say that about violence. Statistically, all crime has gone up under Democrat Presidents.
http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonline/Search/Crime/State/statebystaterun.cfm?stateid=52

Check the Carter years for a easy reference point (look at 1976, last year of Ford, then the four yaers of Carter, and 1981 the first year of Reagan).

The Watts Riots, the Detroit riots and the Chicago riots all occured under Democratic presidents.

I'm sure there are also examples of this occuring under Republican presidents, but it l;ooks like to be a wash on the violence issue.

The others, I just don't know.

afronaut
12/20/2004 4:40pm,
Bullshit!! Presidents don't have that power. These are affected more by local laws and to a lesser extent, federal legislation passed through Congress. The president isn't much more than a mouthpiece for a particular viewpoint with little power to directly affect these things in the short term.

They can't just say it and make it so, but the president controls (or writes, at least) the federal budget, he directs much of federal law enforcement, he is one of the most powerful lobbyists of Congress there is and can also act in lots of other "below the radar" ways to effect policy.