PDA

View Full Version : uni martial arts in melbourne australia

Pages : [1] 2

xvid
12/19/2004 10:29am,
Hi

the clubs in question are at RMIT and swinburne.
I checked out their sports sites, and each of them have various martial arts clubs that i am looking forward to joining.

i realise its all about the school, not the art, but i'm not a very good judge of what is and what isnt a good martial arts club by watching a couple of times. So im trying to avoid being suckered into starting a martial art, and then realising that the instructors:
a) cannot fight for ****
b) cannot teach me to fight standing up

(like my old wing chun school)

i currently do bjj. ill be sure to check out each of the classes before joining.

RMIT: aikido, kung fu, itf tkd, and wtf tkd.
Swinburne: kung fu, karate, kenjutsu, tangsoodo, and wtf tkd.

for now, does anyone actually train / know of how good these schools are?
are they of mcdojo quality or can they actually teach?

cheers
xvid

Colin
12/19/2004 10:39am,
You say Karate.. What Karate? (This makes a big difference)

wingchunnewbie
12/19/2004 1:26pm,
You say Karate.. What Karate? (This makes a big difference)

Ditto for the 'kung fu'

xvid
12/19/2004 10:12pm,
The kung fu's at both schools are under the same 'body' or something, the 'Barry Pang Kung Fu Schools'.

Our master teaches the Wing Chun style complimented with Ling Yung (dragon shape). We’re not extremists (most of us anyway) and you only train as hard as you want to.

i'm not sure about the karate, the class is a combined class of karate and kenjutsu.

more info: http://www.swinburnesport.com.au/UUS_UniversitySports_Main.html
http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse/Our%20Organisation%2FRMIT%20Union%2FDepartments%2F Sport%20and%20Recreation%2FInformation%20and%20Ser vices%2FClubs/

Chushin Ryoku
12/19/2004 10:39pm,
Not to sure how far from you this is, but there is a really good aikido (Yoshinkan style) dojo in Melbourne. Here's the link

http://www.aikidoshudokan.com/

The instructor is very skilled as far as aikido goes (realizing that there is a lot of **** aikido out there). If you decide to check it out, I would wait until March. There will be a seminar with this guy Robert Mustard then, and he has some pretty kick ass aikido, really powerful stuff (I highly recommend you check it out, it's worth seeing). Check out the poster on the link I sent...there will be a demo on the 10th of march, you could check that out and see a whole bunch of aikido in one sitting, and then decide if the guys in skirts thing is just too gay for you.

Colin
12/20/2004 7:48am,
There will be a seminar with this guy Robert Mustard then, and he has some pretty kick ass aikido, really powerful stuff (I highly recommend you check it out, it's worth seeing).
Yoshinkan Aikido is even more flowery than most other Aikidos.
I think it's the ritualistic chanting in class, and the pirouette-type stance shifting that polishes it off. Man - I did Fuji-Ryu Aikido (Judo-style Aikido, if that makes any sense) and I thought THAT was flowery. NOTHING like the Yoshinkan stuff - one Yoshinkan seminar, and I was turned off completely.
Don't misunderstand me here - Yoshinkan Aikido is worthwhile for learning how to duck out of a confrontation, and thus win by not fighting - but quoting it as "really powerful stuff" is a bit of a misconstrusion..

Chushin Ryoku
12/20/2004 10:45am,
I think it's the ritualistic chanting in class, and the pirouette-type stance shifting that polishes it off. Man - I did Fuji-Ryu Aikido (Judo-style Aikido, if that makes any sense) and I thought THAT was flowery. NOTHING like the Yoshinkan stuff - one Yoshinkan seminar, and I was turned off completely.
Don't misunderstand me here - Yoshinkan Aikido is worthwhile for learning how to duck out of a confrontation, and thus win by not fighting - but quoting it as "really powerful stuff" is a bit of a misconstrusion..

I think you got ripped off pal...I've never even heard of fuji-ryu aikido...I 've heard of tomiki aikido, which is a judo/aikido mix, but not this fuji-ryu stuff. Where the hell did you manage to find that crap? And, for he record, I've done judo before and trained against judoka and vowed never to study it because it was pretty shitty stuff. And I've seen aikido demos that were complete crap, I'll grant you that much, but I've also seen judo demos and competitions that were piss poor and I've never met anyone in JKD that was any good. It doesn;t mean that all judo and all JKD are **** though.

So, I'll take it from you comments that you have actually stepped on the mat with good yoshinkan instructor and felt their techniques...because if your just making some claim based on a 'demo' you saw than more retarded than I though. I've seen judo demos, karate demos, BJJ demos, and none of them resemble how the art would be used in a practical way. Go get educated dumbass

Besides, isn;t that the point of this post...check out a bunch of places for himself to see if he's interested in any of them. If he doesn;t like aikido, so be it. It's not for everyone. I just sent the post because he actually has a decent instructor in Melbourne. Here's an idea, why don;t you go to the demo and step on the mat with Rob Mustard afterwards. He'll show you some really flowery stuff......just ask.

Aesopian
12/20/2004 11:02am,
Geez, I thought aikidokas were supposed to be relaxed.

Chushin Ryoku
12/20/2004 11:33am,
Only the flowery ones who are into all that goody goody stuff, like children laughing and birds singing and rivers of honey and chocolate...the rest of us are high strung chain smoking stress addicts

Aesopian
12/20/2004 11:40am,
Beer-waza.

Proximus
12/20/2004 11:41am,
Are you looking to do more standup fighting? Punching, kicking, sword fight'n etc? Something to compliment BJJ? This might help more people respond to your question.

Proximus
12/20/2004 11:42am,
I am all about the beer-waza.

Bizzaro Root
12/20/2004 11:47am,

now youve done it, youve insulted his martial art. i propose a fight to the death.

ever noticed how aikidoka always get bent out of shape about someone bashing there art, like they cant let the art do the talking. they have to do the talking for it, you no the stories weve all heard about aikido.

Chushin Ryoku
12/20/2004 12:47pm,
now youve done it, youve insulted his martial art. i propose a fight to the death.

ever noticed how aikidoka always get bent out of shape about someone bashing there art, like they cant let the art do the talking. they have to do the talking for it, you no the stories weve all heard about aikido.

Oh boy, not this again.....ya, ya, I know, I've heard it all before too, aikido is pure trash, sissy martial art, doesn;t work, not 'street' effective, 'flowery', purely choreographed, blah, blah, blah.....now, what is it you do again? I see the word jitsu, but that could be anything (kiai-jitsu....are you a cheerleader?), I think I saw the word Gracie in their to....are you one of those GJJ fellows. Ya, I hear stories from those guys as well....something like it's a crazy ass NHB MA or something....ya, it's a nice sport maybe, when there are nifty rules to protect them, or its a one on one fight, but I wouldn;t be taking that **** into a street fight...I also hear stuff about MT as well, something like powerful kicks and awesome conditioning and great stand up....until some wrestler throws their head off the ground..oooooo this is fun, lets see how many other martial arts we can pick on...let me see......how about judo!....another fun little sport that works beutifully, until the other guy breaks one of your fingers or groin kicks you or does something else outside the rules, you know, like trying to rip the eyes out your head or stabbing you or something....not so fun after that..wait, there's more!! I can do this all day.....it's sooooo easy.....

Besides, I like to talk.............and I accept the death match challenge....

Colin
12/20/2004 6:27pm,
Besides, I like to talk.............and I accept the death match challenge....I take it that you'll be present for the Melbourne throwdown, then?
I'll even fight you with Aiki rules if you like - Yep - No leg sweeps, No takedowns, No hard striking, No kicking, No blocking. Unless you are prepared to step OUTSIDE your comfortable little square.

By the way, Fuji Ryu Aikido was founded By Gesshu Sugawara, Judo exponent and colleague of Tomiki.
http://www.fujiryuaikido.tk

Chushin Ryoku
12/20/2004 7:16pm,
I take it that you'll be present for the Melbourne throwdown, then?
I'll even fight you with Aiki rules if you like - Yep - No leg sweeps, No takedowns, No hard striking, No kicking, No blocking. Unless you are prepared to step OUTSIDE your comfortable little square.

By the way, Fuji Ryu Aikido was founded By Gesshu Sugawara, Judo exponent and colleague of Tomiki.
http://www.fujiryuaikido.tk

Aiki rules..??...???.....uhhhh, there are no 'rules' in aikido. Maybe there were 'rules' in that fuji whatever stuff you were taking, but last time I checked aikido doesn't have any 'rules'. I guess that means if we were going to fight 'aiki rules' as I understand them, then there will be no rules, no time limits, no weight classes, no pads, gloves, mouthguards, etc. Oh, and there are no little squares in aikido either, only little circles....c'mon, you should know that at least, everyone knows that.

Melbourne throwdown sounds great, except that I live in the frozen tundra plains of Canada. But if I ever make it out to AUS I will be sure to give you a ring. And I believe the challenge proposed by Bizzaro Root was a death match.......I'm game if you're game, but we;d have to go to some non-commonwealth third world country where the laws on manslaughter and aggravated assault are no so stringent.