PDA

View Full Version : if your mounted.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Justme
2/05/2003 3:30pm,
I have been studying alot of NHB fight film, and reading and studying BJJ techniques. I have this question:
If your mounted, it appears you are primarily toast! It is not a defensible position, and you must do everything to get out of it to atleast the guard. For those with experience, is this your perception also.

Thanks,

The Wastrel
2/05/2003 3:35pm,
Yes, but it's not impossible. 'Nuff said? One thing I've noticed from participating in this board, is that everyone seems to think that the guard is the position that a BJJ'er most desires to achieve. WTF?!!! We want the mount or side control, or across side or rear mount. The guard is a great defensive position, from which we can fight effectively. But is NOT the goal of BJJ.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Justme
2/05/2003 3:39pm,
Hi Wastrel. What I have been reading says:
1. Mount from back
2. Mount
3. guard
4. side mount
5. side mount with knee on chest ( could if you think theirs is more then one )
Worst is mounted.

The info I have says work to the best position and once position is secured work for submission.
Does this sound correct.

Justme
2/05/2003 3:40pm,
ooops. Side mount should be before guard.

Stold2
2/05/2003 3:40pm,
Lets see...According to Wing Chun principles, the average WC participant would get ahold of one arm or both and pull them towards him while trying to bridge them off...Grounded lop sao. Dunno if it works, never tried it.

The Wastrel
2/05/2003 3:48pm,
It can work, but it's all a matter of relative skill. I bridged a guy off of a mount in a brawl at a party. That was long before I studied BJJ. There are chokes that are easy to execute from this position.
That order sounds about right. I knew that you weren't silly enough to think the guard was the most desirable position. My list wasn't meant to be ordinal. Side mount is also "side control". The knee on chest isn't two knees because otherwise you're too easy to sweep.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Justme
2/05/2003 3:51pm,
"The knee on chest isn't two knees because otherwise you're too easy to sweep."

Sorry, what I meant was the one knee. The plural use I was reading you can use this if you think there is multiple attackers.

Edited by - justme on February 05 2003 14:52:48

JKDChick
2/05/2003 4:22pm,
Choke and turnover. About all you've got.

Personally, I don't get mounted enough ...

(board breaks with a kick)
"Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
-- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"

Justme
2/05/2003 4:26pm,
"Personally, I don't get mounted enough ..."

Hmmmm..... me thinks you need a school that specializes in "mounting".... I think if I tried to mount you you would choke me....

Edited by - justme on February 05 2003 15:27:42

Omega Supreme
2/05/2003 4:34pm,
worst posisition; rear mount hooks in.
when you're mounted and can't get the guy off you can always hold him chest to chest so I don't think its that bad.

Go away I'm talking to myself

PeedeeShaolin
2/05/2003 4:42pm,
The mounted position is probably the worst position to be in as far as a real fight is concerned. Having someone on your back swinging away is the only thing that beats it.

You have to really understand this position in order to escape, especially when you have a big person trying to hit your face.

There are MANY ways out. I would suggest getting a good BJJ video series if you want to learn more. Renzo's tape series in EXCELLENT for a beginner as is his book Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Theory and Technique. Check it out.

Deadpan Scientist
2/05/2003 5:18pm,
YOU ARE !!

FingerorMoon?
2/05/2003 5:22pm,
Heh, I was doing this in class last night with the instructors.

--------
What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
--------

Agent White
2/05/2003 5:34pm,
(from a street fight perspective)

From the mounted position, your best options are to keep your opponent close and hope they tire out, and attmept to choke them with your hand/ their clothing if you have the energy/arm strength, alternatively, if you can get a hold of one hand and keep it in tight you can attempt to bridge and roll them out.

Other than that, you could pull their hair, call them names, poke them in the eye, threaten to call your mom...

EDIT - Hook the cheek, trap the arm, bridge out

Edited by - Agent White on February 05 2003 16:42:51

LAWPILOT
2/05/2003 6:17pm,
JKDCHICK...Apparently you are not grappling with the right guys!!!!

J-kid
2/05/2003 7:12pm,
Mounting is the postion i work for, Or side mounts in real fights.