PDA

View Full Version : No Contact Sparring

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

TheSag3
11/24/2004 4:22pm,
Jus want to hear ppl's thoughts on this, in the 2nd NY McThrowdown section we started this and are moving it here. Speak up, open mind!

TylerDurden
11/24/2004 4:23pm,
Is it really sparring if no contact is made?

DCS
11/24/2004 4:27pm,
Why no contact sparring?

PoleFighter
11/24/2004 4:37pm,
You already know what answer you're going to get.

Grant
11/24/2004 4:42pm,
I think it can be beneficial to n00bs, when I started Muay Thai, I needed to over-ride my "block low kicks with arm" reactions with a nicer shin blocking reaction.

At the time I think no contact sparring could have been beneficial to me but I don't see any other use for it, you might aswell just be shadow boxing which looks alot cooler than No Contact Sparring.

ojgsxr6
11/24/2004 4:45pm,
In response to what you said in the other section, that no touch sparring being good for practicing technique, sparring is not for practicing techniques it's for applying them. And I think you should learn how to apply them in the way you are most likely going to use them. Whatever the range is from a light contact point match or a full contact vale tudo secret deathmatch in Hong Kong.

Antagony
11/24/2004 4:46pm,
"No contact sparring" is about the faggotiest thing I've ever heard of.

fernando
11/24/2004 4:57pm,
would this compared to playing basketball without a basketball? or tennis without a ball?

for no contact there are things called focus mits, pads, heavy bags etc.

Shuma-Gorath
11/24/2004 4:59pm,
Jus want to hear ppl's thoughts on this, in the 2nd NY McThrowdown section we started this and are moving it here. Speak up, open mind!

You know who else likes to spar without contact? THAT'S RIGHT! tai-gip!

Bang!
11/24/2004 5:04pm,
I see a lot of value in lowering the damage ratio enough to ensure that you are utilizing proper technique. Dark Majique had a good example of this. However, I think that you can reduce power to a workable level without eliminating it altogether.

In other words, be as big of a ***** as you need to be to train right, but as far as no-contact goes, well, nobody should be that big a *****.

SamHarber
11/24/2004 5:24pm,
My club occasionally does a few minutes of no contact just as a movement drill. Give me the contact stuff any day.

Jekyll
11/24/2004 5:26pm,
I think it can be beneficial to n00bs, when I started Muay Thai, I needed to over-ride my "block low kicks with arm" reactions with a nicer shin blocking reaction.

At the time I think no contact sparring could have been beneficial to me but I don't see any other use for it, you might aswell just be shadow boxing which looks alot cooler than No Contact Sparring.

Wouldn't you be better off with someone low kicking you with relitively easy contact and, then just hook punching you in the face every time you droped your guard?

HAPKO3
11/24/2004 5:28pm,
would this compared to playing basketball without a basketball? or tennis without a ball?

for no contact there are things called focus mits, pads, heavy bags etc.

Seconded.

Grant
11/24/2004 5:59pm,
Wouldn't you be better off with someone low kicking you with relitively easy contact and, then just hook punching you in the face every time you droped your guard?

Actually this is exactly how I learnt to stop it. I was just saying that the only use I could think of for "No Contact Sparring" would be to re-train your reflexes without getting hit...
Like so :boxing:

fernando
11/24/2004 6:04pm,

this is not considered sparring but rather a drill

Bizzaro Root
11/24/2004 6:10pm,
"No contact sparring" is about the faggotiest thing I've ever heard of.

i second this