PDA

View Full Version : Judo and joint locks?

Pages : [1] 2

A.D.D
11/19/2004 8:57am,
I took a Judo class last night and it was explained to me that they do not start teaching you any joint locks until, I believe, brown belt. This disappointed me and is somewhat discouraging. I also recently started taking some MMA so its not a huge issue.

Do those of you that take Judo have to wait quite a long time into Judo to learn such things?

Pandinha
11/19/2004 9:05am,
I started back up Judo with a BJJ backround.

So, no.

A.D.D
11/19/2004 9:09am,
I started back up Judo with a BJJ backround.

So, no.

It's not so much that people don't know joint locks it is just that those under belt X are not ALLOWED to use them. Frustrates me.

Shuma-Gorath
11/19/2004 9:24am,
I took a Judo class last night and it was explained to me that they do not start teaching you any joint locks until, I believe, brown belt.

Run very far away from that place, preferably after setting it on fire.

A.D.D
11/19/2004 9:28am,
Run very far away from that place, preferably after setting it on fire.

It is very cheap and the throws would be nice to learn... I am just saddened and wondering if others have this restriction.

Jekyll
11/19/2004 9:28am,
And tear the limbs of anyone who comes running out the building, throwing them back into the fire.

Unless you're under 12 in which case its kinda acceptable that people dont want you accidentaly breaking other little kids arms.

Gezere
11/19/2004 9:36am,
It started with kids and noobs in Judo. The idea is that you want the person to gain experience before teaching him some really damaging techniques.

Now its a matter of Org you're in. An org with a more TRADITIONAL mindset may make you wait until brown belt, and if you are a kid you have to be in your teens. Some may start teaching them once you hit 9 or 8th kyu.

Shuma-Gorath
11/19/2004 9:44am,
It is very cheap and the throws would be nice to learn... I am just saddened and wondering if others have this restriction.

It doesn't matter. I pay $60 per term for a Judo membership just for the throws, but that's because it's a supplement to my BJJ class and their ground work is still very good. I can't even imagine restricting teenagers and adults from using armlocks beyond yellow belt.

Deadpan Scientist
11/19/2004 9:46am,
You live in mass, there are plenty of places you could go. No reason to stick with crappy judo

Ronin
11/19/2004 9:51am,
Asia is right, depending on the Org, you will find many things "belt specific", things such as joint locks, chokes and strangles, and striking ( yes, judo has that).

Even in competition, you will have certain techniques that are prohibited by belt.

In many ways, that is there to protect people from their own stupidity, some people just don't know when to tap.

A.D.D
11/19/2004 10:00am,
You live in mass, there are plenty of places you could go. No reason to stick with crappy judo

Yeah I live in Western Mass... There aren't so many great schools CLOSE to me. I would not mind driving for an hour to train IF I did not already drive at least 2 hours a day for work.

But I also started taking MMA classes from Kirik Jenness recently. I wanted to take the Judo in addition just for the throws but seeing as they do a lot of groundwork in the class I just thought to ask about that.

TylerDurden
11/19/2004 10:10am,
Never heard of such a restriction. Maybe it's because the Judo school is in a BJJ school but locks and chokes were taught from day one along with throws. I would look for a different school if I were in your shoes.

dramaboy
11/19/2004 10:59am,
Our club (Baltimore Judo) is pretty traditional, but a juji was probably something like the second tech I learned. I know juniors have restrictions but I have never heard of belt specific techs for adults.

Tomas

Scrapper
11/19/2004 11:06am,
If you are over 17, under USJA and USJI rules anyone can use joint locks in tournaments, (at least you could 7 years ago...been out of the game for a while :( ). So I hope that you learn some before you go to shiai. Those restrictions are typipcally for kids for obvious reasons. I learned my first joint locks as a 14-year-old yellow belt in a CT club. They didn't seem to care much.

I'd be a little concerned; if they won't teach you joint locks unill brown belt, you will probably get killed in tournament.

Can Chaser
11/19/2004 11:11am,
At the place that I do judo, they teach us that joint locks and the like, but with the knowledge that we are prohibited from using it in Judo tourneys until belt x/age y. I haven't anywhere near enough experience to know whether or not it's the norm, but if they're gearing you for judo competition, you kind of have to know what you are and aren't allowed to do under which rules. My dojo occasionally has open 'judo' tounaments under looser rules. I think some of the restrictions, particularly how quickly they'll matte you when you get on the ground and there's not a choke/pin forthcoming within seconds, are a crying shame. Or, at least, that's the rhetoric that a blue belt I've trained some with spouts off and is trying to indoctrinate me with.

A.D.D
11/19/2004 11:16am,
Ahhh, I'll just go to another class and ask for more details about this.

Thanks .