PDA

View Full Version : Sparring question

Pages : [1] 2 3

Poop Loops
11/18/2004 5:50pm,
****, you guys don't even have a question forum for clueless n00bies? :(

Anyway, I've been doing MT for a month now, and I heard from one of the guys there (he's been there for a year) that they hardly ever spar. When I think about it, I've only seen them (I haven't) spar once during the whole month I was there. It's 5 1-hour classes per week, so obviously I can't make them all every week, but I usually make 4 classes.

Should I just ditch the school and find something better? The pickings are slim around my area (south of Seattle, WA).

This guy isn't a fraud, either. He's the MT representative for my state.

Here's the site: www.nwkali.com

PL

PizDoff
11/18/2004 6:15pm,
I assume you go to that school correct?

1. Send an anonymous email to the person asking about sparring.
2. Even better, just ask in person. If little, request and encourage them to do more.

1-hour classes are rather short, 90min to 120 min is more normal.
Usually more worth the trip for people coming from further away.

If not, then I guess you'll have to go somewhere else for sparring.

Te No Kage!
11/18/2004 6:21pm,
sounds pretty strange to me, what do you guys do if you don't spar?

Thaiboxerken
11/18/2004 6:26pm,
Perhaps you do timing sparring, just not full-contact. You can simply ask the instructor if there are hardcore fighter training classes for the full-contact training.

Poop Loops
11/18/2004 6:29pm,
Padwork. Bagwork if there aren't that many people (we only have 4 bags we can use). That's about it. I don't mind, I like it, but sparring is better. :)

I don't like how it's only an hour, either. We warm-up for 5 minutes, shadow box for another 5 minutes, that's 10 min right there.

I think I'll try to find a school that has longer classes, even if it means less days (I'd rather go to 2 2-hour classes).

Ideally, I could find a MMA school, but like I said, the pickings are slim here. There was a MT/BJJ school, but it either moved or closed down.

Asking seems to be the best choice, but that requires talking to people. :o But yeah, I think I'll ask next time I go (lots of school work this week. =/)

PL

fernando
11/18/2004 6:29pm,
what is timing sparring?

thanks

Poop Loops
11/18/2004 6:31pm,
Perhaps you do timing sparring, just not full-contact. You can simply ask the instructor if there are hardcore fighter training classes for the full-contact training.

Nah. The scheduel is MT/Kali (alternates on days) followed by the other class, followed by the instructor candidate class. No time for another class. :(

There is a grappling class Saturday mornings before MT, but there's a $5 drop-in fee, so **** that.

PL

Thaiboxerken
11/18/2004 6:34pm,
what is timing sparring?

Light sparring with emphasis on timing, not speed or winning. Basically, it's like feeding each other random strikes at random times so you can work on your form, technique and timing at the same time.

Poop Loops
11/18/2004 6:43pm,
Well, the time I DID see them spar, they were going fairly hard.

Also, do your gyms allow students to wear their shoes when training? I mean, it's on cement, but my feet adapted after 2 weeks, and I'm fine now. I hate practicing teeps and other kicks with people that wear shoes (nearly everybody =/)

PL

KickAHippie
11/18/2004 6:55pm,
Is everyone in the class a beginner?

Poop Loops
11/18/2004 7:26pm,
Nah. I can tell that some have been there for years, and plus, there are like 5 instructors, so they HAVE TO have done this for a while.

PL

antman
11/18/2004 8:00pm,
Are you just going to a techniqing class and they have a different sparring section or sparring night?

Poop Loops
11/18/2004 8:13pm,
Nah. The scheduel is MT/Kali (alternates on days) followed by the other class, followed by the instructor candidate class. No time for another class. :(

There is a grappling class Saturday mornings before MT, but there's a $5 drop-in fee, so **** that.

Since there are 2 styles taught at the school, and an instructor class, there is no time to put a sparring class in there.

PL

alex
11/18/2004 9:01pm,
hook that **** dawg

nigga gotta eat

Poop Loops
11/18/2004 10:26pm,
hook that **** dawg

Eh? The second sentence is a Kimbo reference, right? :)

But the first part, I dunno. =/ Same?

PL

Thaiboxerken
11/18/2004 11:05pm,
I wear shoes at my gym, it's mostly cement. Training switch step without shoes can wear down the fat deposits in the foot and end up doing some really bad damage. Plus, if there is any jagged spots, it can really tear the skin off of your foot if you are pivoting correctly.