PDA

View Full Version : My friend needs advice, I don't know what to tell him.

Pages : [1] 2

Macistani
11/10/2004 11:19pm,
I know that's the worst thread title ever. I suck at this whole "English" thing. Anyway, here is the question and background.

I have a friend who I convinced to start doing Jun Fan and BJJ with me. He loves it and he's almost a natural at BJJ (not so much in JF, but he likes it). However, he wants to get in shape, but I don't know what to tell him. He's 6 feet tall, 290 lbs, 25% body fat (per the whole measure-around-the-waist thing the army does). He can't do a pushup or a pullup, so he's started doing dumbbell presses (he can do 2 sets of 7 with 60lb DBs) and gravitron pullups. He can't skip rope well yet and he's getting shin-splints when he runs.

Any suggestions on what else I can suggest he do as far as exercises go?

To recap my ramblings, he's doing:
DB Presses (Goal is 3 sets of 7, then move up to the next set)
Gravitron Pullups (Goal is 3/7, move up a notch)
Hindu Squats (5 sets of 10, add 10 per week)
Crunches (100)
Flutterkicks (100)
Half-Jacks (3 sets of 25)
and then 3 rounds of shadowboxing

What I think he needs is more cardio, but he doesn't have coordination to skip (and he'd probably gas out fast anyway) and he's getting shinsplits when he runs (on a treadmill with
good shoes!).

He takes the same classes I do (2 hours on Tue-Thur and 1.5 hour rolling MWF)

I'm glad he's exercising and enjoying it, but I have no idea how to help him.
:disgust: :disgust:

Deadpan Scientist
11/10/2004 11:25pm,
Swimming.

Also for shin splints, he should do 90ft of heelwalking every time he runs to prevent that from happeneing. Also, if he has pain but still wants to run, get some athletic tape and tape up the lower leg.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/anterior_compartment/taping.php

i went through a whole season of X-C with my legs taped like that.

Jolly_Roger
11/10/2004 11:29pm,
Diet.
It's the only way.

Macistani
11/10/2004 11:29pm,
Hadn't thought about swimming, plus with him beside me at the pool, I look that much sexier. <g>

Billy Havoc
11/11/2004 9:42am,
more shadow boxing or heavy bag drills of high intensity

PizDoff
11/11/2004 12:07pm,
What they said.
I also suggest doing a weight training routine, though you haven't said what is availible.
Weight training is far more intense, and will burn the most calories.
In addition, added muscle mass requires calories to maintain, so therefore it will help him towards his goal of cutting weight.

Check the Diet link in my sig to see what you should be eating. No cheat meals for him!

mixicus
11/11/2004 12:08pm,
Depends on what "get in shape means" means to him. What's his main goal? How much time does he have to work out? What facilities are available? Regardless of the above, the best things you can do to help out: go with him to train, keep him motivated and point out his progress. Help him set regular achievable goals then as he makes those marks suggest rasing the bar a bit.

If your friend wants to improve his perfomance (endurance, execution,...) in MA, the most effective program is to do MA.

If he would like to drop some weigth & BF%, increase cardio vascular fitness and gain heatlh benefits, increasing cardio work is the ticket. Given some of the "injury" concerns swimming (if he can) or cycling (maybe stationary bike) could be a great path. Make sure the exercise is getting his heart rate up into the appropriate range and for a long enough period of time. Nutrition is crtical to these goals as well.

Now if he would like to increase strength/muscle mass, a program would again depend on goals. A program for ripping up trees with his bare hands or tossing opponents across the mat could be based around the dead lift, bench press and squats with heavy weights and low reps. Then throw in some supplemental lifts to round out the program. If the goal is to look like a cover guy from Mens Health the program would be different.

The more specific you can/he can be the better the advice from the board will be.

antonanton
11/11/2004 12:18pm,
i agree with jolly roger- diet and nutrition! they play a big factor

Meex
11/11/2004 2:58pm,
Diet and nutrition can go a long way. Swimming is a great no impact workout, and you can stop and start as you are able, the exercise still having a bit of cumulative effect. Walking may b a better place for him to start cardio. You can quicken the pace as he gets in better condition. Exercising IN the water will go a long way toward helping him stay injury free, too, as his weight is the main drawback to running, rope work, and bag work. The water will help support his weight as he works his way toward his fitness goals. Lifting weights is great, but without the rest, it will only make him BIGGER.

Bjj. Go roll as much as possible out of class time. Preferably with as many different skill levels as possible above him.

Wanna help? Be his training partner. Work out daily, on a regular schedule. BUt. . .play as often as work - toss a football, play hoops, run a dog, baby sit some kids in a park (okay, sorry, I got carried away), etc. You get the idea. And, train your ma(s).

`~/

antman
11/11/2004 3:13pm,
make shure your buddy gets his Blood pressure and cholesterol stuff checked out you don't wanna give him a heart attack or anything training.

TaeBo_Master
11/11/2004 9:32pm,
Nutrition is 80% of success, no matter what you're trying to do.

And PizDoff - on a per minute basis, weight training doesn't burn nearly as many calories as even moderate intensity cardio. Not even close. HOWEVER, weight training does improve your metabolism through the day (so does cardio, but not as much), and the increase of muscle tissue will increase metabolism in the long-term (cardio does not)

Little Idea
11/11/2004 10:48pm,
Listen to Brand on the heel walking.
Heel walking is probably the best thing you can do for shin splints. Do a few minutes every other day, even if you aren't going to do anything else.

Nutrition is 80% of success, no matter what you're trying to do.

I think your friend definitely needs to try some 'Push Aways'. . . as in push some of the food away. Meat, Leaves and Berries. Oh yeah, and 58.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

And PizDoff - on a per minute basis, weight training doesn't burn nearly as many calories as even moderate intensity cardio. Not even close. HOWEVER, weight training does improve your metabolism through the day (so does cardio, but not as much), and the increase of muscle tissue will increase metabolism in the long-term (cardio does not)

Huh? Where did you get this information? Can I get a reference? I can see 'cardio' burning more calories, over the course of a work out, but not more per minute.

What is 'weight training'? What about Squats/Cleans/Snatches in Tabata intervals?

Just post a reference. . .

TaeBo_Master
11/12/2004 2:53am,
There are plenty of sites and resources out there that give approximation of calories burned per hour doing various exercises. Cardio tends to range from 200-800 per hour, while an hour long weight training session is closer to 100. Do the math.

TaeBo_Master
11/12/2004 2:55am,
But really, it depends heavily on what you're doing. If you could do full cleans for an hour straight, no doubt that would burn some hefty calories. But when you do 4 sets of 8, with 90-120 seconds of rest, or what have you... well, your calorie burn isn't nearly as high.

Little Idea
11/12/2004 10:47am,
I think one problem is most people think the weight room is a place to exercise the mouth.

There are lots of ways to train.

Take 100 lbs, clean and press it 20 times in a minute, its hard to get that feeling doing 'cardio'.

CrimsonTiger
11/12/2004 11:22am,
One word for you:

Stacker3