View Full Version : GTA San Adreas

Pages : [1] 2 3

Greese
11/09/2004 4:15pm,
Pretty interesting review here...
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2478

Grant
11/09/2004 4:32pm,
Strange. I completely disagreed with the article.
A) The graphics are not as good as Vice City (look at the vehicles)
B) The game is way fun.
C) They have cut down on the loading screens apart from the mother at the start.
D) The game is way fun.

Traditional Tom
11/09/2004 4:39pm,
Other then the radio stations, I have to say this game surpasses, in every way, previous GTA games. This game is freaking HUGE, going full speed and doing my best to avoid traffic, it takes me a couple of MINUTES to get from one side to the other. I've spent (by my estimation) about 18 hours on the game and I'm only in the second area! (there are three overall).

So far I've visted a boxing gym (in the game) and a tai-chi....TKD... kind of place, you have to beat the 'master' or 'student' or whatever in a certain area to be able to learn some new moves, so basically I can fight with my hands OR my feet right now, its pretty cool.

The only thing I don't particularly like about this game is the somewhat dated graphics engine, and the fact that shootouts are more like "lock on to targets and keep squeezing the trigger till hes done" or, if you have to do manual aiming...well... manual aiming is not a pretty picture.

But on a lighter note the 'new' cars have a gas tank, one hit there, and ka-blooie, the car users suffer a horrible, horrible, burning death, hahaha!

IzzyDaHedgehog
11/09/2004 5:15pm,
Strange. I completely disagreed with the article.
A) The graphics are not as good as Vice City (look at the vehicles)
B) The game is way fun.
C) They have cut down on the loading screens apart from the mother at the start.
D) The game is way fun.

I dunno, SA's Truth Media reviews have an excellent reputation, most of the time they're more accurate than the "real" sites like IGN. I find they're much more believable than most major gaming resources, and they have a real dedication to journalistic integrity.

They also encourage feedback, so click the link at the bottom of the page and tell them what you think of the review, maybe it'll change their minds.

Boyd
11/09/2004 5:31pm,
I like how everyone's forgotten how completely unplayable GTA becomes the instant you set foot outside your car.

IzzyDaHedgehog
11/09/2004 5:56pm,
It's not so bad, and I think for the gametype they're going for it's necessary. It's not just a driving game; it's a game focusing on life as a criminal whose expertise is stealing cars.

PizDoff
11/09/2004 6:24pm,
I like how everyone's forgotten how completely unplayable GTA becomes the instant you set foot outside your car.

I agree...if the statement is discussing the console version controls.
Interacting with the environment was so much easier on computer.
I have pretty much given up on shooting stuff on console the times I've played on console.

Also had NO excitement about this last one, didn't play the second one either.
I blame it on overplaying the first one.

Grant
11/09/2004 6:34pm,
Haters-
If you were Rockstar, what would you change about this game?
How would you do it differently?
(Keeping within the genre)

Personally I would have toned down the ghetto speak, it does become a little cringeworthy when you hear "Yo, what up in the hood" or "For sho I'm down homie" for the seventh time.

Transcendent Sunchips
11/09/2004 6:43pm,
Thanks, DM. You've convinced me not to buy the game. I was sick of the one-liners from GTA3 and I really hate listening to ghetto speak.

Raven
11/09/2004 6:46pm,
I agree...if the statement is discussing the console version controls.
Interacting with the environment was so much easier on computer.
I have pretty much given up on shooting stuff on console the times I've played on console.

Also had NO excitement about this last one, didn't play the second one either.
I blame it on overplaying the first one.

I disagree, I found the computer unusable. However, I find the controls much easier on the console. San Andreas has some issues though. Vice city doesn't imo.

PizDoff
11/09/2004 6:55pm,
Unusable in what aspect? That you could look around, change camera views, and target wildlife much more easily with a mouse?

Raven
11/09/2004 6:56pm,
I dunno, I just for some reason didn't find them functional. I can't explain it, since the mouse and keyboard SHOULD be more practical.

Gypsy Jazz
11/09/2004 6:59pm,
I'm not a big GTA fan, but when I tried San Andreas with a few friends I had a blast. It felt really similar to the last two GTAs, but the building of certain stats and variety of vehicles made it a good game to play with my buddies. By the end up my half hour - 45 minute play period, I was at max fat (from eating SO much), had a pink mohawk, eyepatch, and drove something similar to the oscar meyer weiner mobile going from town to town, beating people with a shovel while my character yelled comments about his weight. Good stuff.

I didn't play any missions, but can't imagine they are too different as a whole. Not sure if I like it or not, and since I don't have a ps2, I guess that gives me some time to think if I'd buy it or not.

bodar
11/09/2004 8:07pm,
Truth media isn't.

This much is...

I find the gaming industry to be in a sad state of affairs when games such as San Andreas that appeal mostly to the less cultured and uneducated people, are at the top of the sales charts and games such as Ico, Rez, and Katamari Damacy are ushered into the bargain bin just weeks after release.

Raven
11/09/2004 10:54pm,
This much is...

I find the gaming industry to be in a sad state of affairs when games such as San Andreas that appeal mostly to the less cultured and uneducated people, are at the top of the sales charts and games such as Ico, Rez, and Katamari Damacy are ushered into the bargain bin just weeks after release.

Never ever HEARD of those games. That should tell you something. If people don't hear about them, they probably won't play them.

Shuma-Gorath
11/09/2004 11:23pm,
Never ever HEARD of those games. That should tell you something. If people don't hear about them, they probably won't play them.

Absolutely EVERY joke is lost on you. You're like some kind of Comedy black hole.