PDA

View Full Version : Moral Sense Test

Pages : [1] 2

DCS
11/08/2004 10:24am,
http://wjh1.wjh.harvard.edu/~moral/learn.html

Over the past twenty years, there has been growing evidence for a universally shared moral faculty based on findings in evolutionary biology, cognitive psychology, anthropology, economics, linguistics, and neurobiology. This evidence has created a powerful movement directed at the core aspects of human nature. It is a movement that has the power to reshape our lives by uncovering the deep structure of our moral intuitions and showing how they can either support or conflict with our conscious, often legally supported decisions

These days has been some debate about the weight of "moral issues" in the results of the presidential election.

Some people thinks morality is founded in experience and education while others believe morality as something instinctive/natural-born.

For instance:

Gay marriage a) is morally acceptable/unaceptable because you have been teached so? or b) you perceive it's acceptable/unacceptable instinctively or as a natural reaction?

The test: http://wjh1.wjh.harvard.edu/~moral/test.html

Jolly_Roger
11/08/2004 10:37am,
This test's conclusion will never work, based on the premise that, if someone thinks gay marriage is unnatural, the only natural (and true) finds that this test could yield is the same way of thinking.

DCS
11/08/2004 10:47am,
The test isn't about gay marriage.

Stick
11/08/2004 11:02am,
Those situations were ridiculous.

DCS
11/08/2004 11:16am,
Those situations were ridiculous.

It's Harvard. What you expected?

Stick
11/08/2004 11:17am,
I suppose creativity and common sense are a bit much to ask from the Ivy League...

inde
11/08/2004 11:23am,
I took the test. It was interesting to say the least.

Peter H.
11/08/2004 12:06pm,
I took 2/3 before giving up. It's incredible utilitarian in view, takes no account in for shades of gray, you either sacrifice singles to save masses or you don't. It also have an issue with not donating to charity, but then saving the life of an injured man. I also noted a bit of a racist streak to their questions.

Matsufubu
11/08/2004 2:39pm,
I can't believe it asked for 150 words to justify conflicting answers! What a pain in the ass. Also, way to many questions on the same damn thing.

inde
11/08/2004 3:08pm,
It's easy. People on the tracks are responsible for their own actions placing them there. You have no moral right to interfere.

Ronin
11/08/2004 3:15pm,
First you need to agree on what consitutes Morals, Ethics and such.
Then you need to find out WHY anyone would take a test like this.
Then you would need to find out what role the "environment" plays into it.
Then you need to figure out how gender efects it.
And so on, and so on...
The you need to take all the results, roll them around some nice "maryjane", and smoke up, cause no one gives a ****.

Matsufubu
11/08/2004 3:26pm,
First you need to agree on what consitutes Morals, Ethics and such.
Then you need to find out WHY anyone would take a test like this.
Then you would need to find out what role the "environment" plays into it.
Then you need to figure out how gender efects it.
And so on, and so on...
The you need to take all the results, roll them around some nice "maryjane", and smoke up, cause no one gives a ****.

Ex-bloody-actly.

**** the stick men, anyway. The creators of that test have a moral obligation to draw better frickin' pictures. Would they draw better pictures if we put the test's creators on a railway track with steep sides, then drove a train straight at them?

Peter H.
11/08/2004 3:43pm,
Also, way to many questions on the same damn thing.

The goal is to catch conradictions in your philosophy. But it takes the view that 5>1 and fails to see the difference between you purposely killing someone to save other lives, and you choosing whether a smaller group dies as opposed to a larger group.

Pure utilitarian.

Leodom
11/08/2004 8:16pm,
I noted that in many situations either action (or inaction) would have been morally acceptable.

SlimJim
11/08/2004 8:55pm,
If 5 pr0n goddesses were on one train track and a homeless guy was on the other...

kinda muddies the waters a little, don't it?

TaeBo_Master
11/09/2004 12:55am,
Moral Sense? Don't have any, don't want any.