PDA

View Full Version : "The Triangle" by Rigan Machado

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

WhiteShark
11/08/2004 9:50am,
This book and DVD combo kick ass. Aesopian recommended it to me several times and I finally got it from Budovideos.com

The pictures in the book are very clear and easy to follow it has an absurd amount of triangle setups. I didn't realize there were this many entries. To me the real value is the DVD which I expected to be worthless after I saw how good the book was. But both are quality additions to your library. I would have paid the $29 for either one.

The nicest surprise is that at the end of the DVD there is footage of several world class grappling matches and Rigan does the Play by play telling you how each one entered the triangle.

I give it a 9 out of 10, it would get a 10 of 10 if I understood the brasilian accent better...

Aesopian
11/08/2004 11:28am,
You can get it here:

http://www.budovideos.com/images/banners/mmabanner.gif (http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=18644&cat=&pa)

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I don't get affiliate fees for advertising this book like I do. I just bought I copy and it rocked, and Budovideos has the best deal on it.

Here's one of my many reviews of it. I think I posted this on Sherdog originally:

Originally posted by Aesopian
The book and DVD The Triangle by Rigan Machado is an AWESOME resource for triangle chokes, and even BJJ in general. It's probably one of the best BJJ books overall, with tons of techniques (usually several variations of each one, e.g. 4 different triangles from the mount), simple and clear descriptions, and very illustrative, extra large pictures. It also has exercises and stretches you can do to work on flexibility specifically related to the triangle. It also has drills you can do to improve your triangle mechanics. It also covers how to handle counters to the triangle. It also covers the other end of the triangle, with escapes from the choke. The DVD has something like 18 techniques and drills demonstrated, as well as at least an hour of competition footage (Mundials, Pan-Ams) commentated on by Rigan.

And all this for $30.

Basically, it rocks. It will help your triangles. I picked it up at Budovideos.com: http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=18644&cat=291&page=1
Whiteshark, I'm very happy you are getting so much out of this book. It looks like it has helped you like it helped me, with regards to suddenly seeing all the opportunities for triangles. I used to NEVER see how to get the triangle. Someone would have to just stick an arm out of my guard and give it to me. After reading through this book (and I've only just got into it really. There are dozens and dozens of techniques to cover), I've started seeing triangles EVERYWHERE. You can do the triangle to counter any sort of guard pass, as a follow-up to my own guard pass, from north-south and side mount, top or bottom, from rear mount, off of failed armbars, flying triangles, triangles from every guard. It's mind-blowing how many opportunities for the triangles exist, once you know what you're looking for, especially after you learn the variations, such as the reverse triangle. ****, just yesterday I found an ARMLESS triangle in this book. Yeah, "armless" as in they have BOTH arms outside the choke. How fucking cool is that?

I've also found this book+DVD has helped my BJJ in other regards, especially my closed and open guards, since it offers some of best insight into different aspects of grappling.

I'm used to Brazilian accents, so I give it 10/10.

SamHarber
11/08/2004 12:30pm,
Anyone know where I can get it in PAL format?

WhiteShark
11/08/2004 12:47pm,
It's a book, it doesn't have a format...

Seriously I know you are talking about the DVD but it's worth it for the book alone.

Ronin
11/08/2004 12:56pm,
Oh yeah ???
Well I order the ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BJJ !!!
SO there !!!!!!!

Aesopian
11/08/2004 1:12pm,
Ha! Look what I bought this weekend:

Best Judo by Isao Inokuma
The Canon of Judo: Classic Teachings on Principles and Techniques by Kyuzo Mifune
Russian Judo (Masterclass Series) by Alexander Iatskevich
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Submission Grappling Techniques by Royler Gracie
Passing the Guard: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu : Details and Techniques by Ed Beneville
I'm also going to get Judo in Action, the reprint of Dynamic Judo, but I'm still looking for better prices.

Also found the rest of the Masterclass series, and I'll be ordering at least the following, if not the full 14 books:
Armlocks by Neil Adams
Grips by Neil Adams
Osaekomi by Kashiwazaki
Pick-Ups by Van de Walle
Shimewaza by Kashiwazaki

Awyeah.

Aesopian
11/08/2004 1:33pm,
Anyone know where I can get it in PAL format?
The book alone is worth the purchase. And you can try changing the region on your computer DVD player, can't you? I've done that before.

Boyd
11/08/2004 6:47pm,
Is this book available in stores?

Aesopian
11/08/2004 7:29pm,
I've never seen it in any bookstore, and I've look at every Martial Arts shelf I've come across. You could always try having them order it for you, thereby skipping the shipping charges.

supercrap
11/08/2004 8:27pm,
Quick question about the triangle -

Whenever I try to set it up from the guard I get guard passed when I bring my leg up.

Is this because I forget to secure the arm first (Which I do?)

Is the first move to secure the arm?

Red Elvis
11/08/2004 8:44pm,
Quick question about the triangle -

Whenever I try to set it up from the guard I get guard passed when I bring my leg up.

Is this because I forget to secure the arm first (Which I do?)

Is the first move to secure the arm?

How are you setting it up? I usually get the triangle when someone is passing my guard. Securing the arm is very important as is turning out your hips but I'm not sure if securing the arm is always the first thing I do.

Edit: Let me re-phrase my statement... I secure the arm as soon as I decide I'm doing the triangle. Typically my leg has already been placed properly by my unknowing opponent.

WhiteShark
11/09/2004 12:50am,
According to Rigan you need to get the "Hoook" or they will just keep passing your guard. The hook is the angle formed by your leg that is going over their shoulder. He keeps repeating that bending it early and using it to pull you opponent down is VERY important.

SamHarber
11/09/2004 3:50am,
Just ordered it. It will make a nice christmas present for myself.

Zeddy
11/09/2004 4:55am,
According to Rigan you need to get the "Hoook" or they will just keep passing your guard. The hook is the angle formed by your leg that is going over their shoulder. He keeps repeating that bending it early and using it to pull you opponent down is VERY important.

So you're more or less saying we have to unbalance them as we hook, or they will stack us?

MrMcFu
11/09/2004 5:04am,
So you're more or less saying we have to unbalance them as we hook, or they will stack us?

Your opponenet MUST be pulled down or your hips must be near their head to pull it off, or else your legs just get used like levers for a guard pass.

Remember, guard passing is all about keeping your base while manipulating your opponents legs. Conversely, opening your guard without disrupting the base is a good way to get passed.

For the person in the guard, you must be careful to maintain your base and keep your opponents hips DOWN/AWAY from you when you see the triangle coming.

Zeddy
11/09/2004 5:18am,
This simple piece of logic explains to me why I always get rolled over like a dumbarse whenever I try triangle.

That's what I hate about bjj, when someone tells you the answer you feel like a complete moron.

Thanks McFu. ;)