View Full Version : mcdojo test

shaolin funk
1/29/2003 1:52am,
I need a mcdojo check on www.defendo.com
Any comments would be appreciated.

JKDChick
1/29/2003 2:01am,
Written exams and video certification.
"Secret" lethal military fighting techniques.
(sigh)
I'd come down on the McDojo side, but I'd like to hear arguments. I've gotta say, the bayonet training video had some hot guys though ...

(board breaks with a kick)
"Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
-- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"

Edited by - jkdchick on January 29 2003 01:02:22

Fatality Dragon
1/29/2003 2:10am,
LMAO! Secret lethal military fighting techniaues ALWAYS mean simple blocks and a strong strike to thoart, solar plexus, or other senstive spots. A hard kick for setting up or to push someone to butt. A wrestling that always end up in choke where you can either strangle or break opponent's neck. Wow that is SO hard and a such secret... I have noticed that most of military's strikes technique came from Wing Chun, Karate, Muay Thai and Tae Kwon do, kicks come from Tae Kwon do and Muay Thai, throws come from Judo, locks come from Ju Justu and chokes come from wrestling or grappling. So that doesn't make it a secret at all. How pathetic!

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."

Rico
1/29/2003 11:41am,
I was just watching the knife defense preview. It makes me cringe every time I see a defensive movement based on the "stab/punch and freeze" attack. Even if this is necessary for basic training, why not show how an expert would actually deal with a moving, determined opponent who wants to hurt him?

Jeez, any technique will work against an attacker who stops after one stab!

gong sau
1/29/2003 1:01pm,
Hmmm, McDojo, or just questionable marketing? I don't know if what they're teaching is all that horrible (it doesn't look that bad, but I'd have to try it before giving a real opinion), but I do agree that the using the "military" or "LEO" card is lame. In an unrelated matter, I absolutely hate their site! I had the hardest time reading all that dark grey, faded text on black backgrounds. I almost couldn't see the "Enter" on the first page! Very bad design, and possible as discouraging to potential clientele as the liberal spreading of catch phrases and buzzwords.

First, I'm gonna hit ya...then you're gonna fall

Omega Supreme
1/29/2003 2:17pm,
Hmmm, McDojo, or just questionable marketing?

There's a differance?

Go away I'm talking to myself

gong sau
1/29/2003 5:41pm,
It depends. Is the marketing fraudulent? Then yeah, it's a McDojo. If not, well, I personally have not seen any form of marketing that I don't find unsavoury. Of any product.

Take, for instance, "Cocoon", the PFS JKD place that JKDChick posted a link to (now, don't get offended here, JKDC). Personally, I find the fancy digs (juice bar, weight room, lounge) distasteful. But hey, that's just me. Someone else might totally love the place. What they teach, however, is a hell of a lot better than some place teaching sport karate and claiming to teach self-defense. McDojo, no way! Will you ever catch me there? Not in a million years.

Just my take.

First, I'm gonna hit ya...then you're gonna fall

FingerorMoon?
1/29/2003 5:51pm,
You can't tell from looking at the website.

--------
Master of Lay Ze Do
--------

Boyd
1/30/2003 2:25pm,
WARNING: THIS INFORMATION IS RESTRICTED. INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE AGE OF 19 OR WITH CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS, MEMBERS OF HATE GROUPS, OR PERSONS CONNECTED IN ANY WAY TO TERRORIST ACTIVITY ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED FROM PARTICIPATION IN THIS SYSTEM.

BUM BUM BUM!

Have you ever seen a turtle get down?
Slammin', jammin' to the new sweet sound?