PDA

View Full Version : Tendencies

Pages : [1] 2

Justme
1/26/2003 11:55am,
Do you find when sparring that the opponent will try to use their best techniques in like the first few attacks? Do you see patterns, or to busy trying not to get busted. What do you watch for?

JKDChick
1/26/2003 1:02pm,
I'm still at the stage where I'm concentrating on myself and what I need to do to suceed.

There's a pattern a lot of JKD students fall into in clinch range: headbutt/knee/elbow, same side all the time.

(board breaks with a kick)
"Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
-- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"

The Wastrel
1/26/2003 1:10pm,
Heabutt in clinch? That sounds like a missed oppurtunity.

Justme, I'm not sure about the best techniques thing. I try to gauge skill level by leading people into a variety of particular mistakes. Last week I executed an ever-so-slight upward level change on a guy, he didn't respond, I shot in over his head and guillotined him. Fight took about 8 seconds.
One thing about when grapplers spar that bothers me is that they tend to enjoy taking a lot of time with position, especially at the beginning. It's very good practice to do so, but it can be bad habit to develop. I like to get it done as fast as possible, and move on quickly when I get stuck. People might think I'm in a rush, but I'm not training for jj tournaments.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Justme
1/26/2003 1:25pm,
Side note... Thats why I like to download video clips from Sherdog. You can watch over and over again. HOw they approach, what foot they come off of, how there hands are placed. All kinds of things. Plus I figure these are professionals.

Greese
1/27/2003 1:04am,
I think rushing is also a horrible habit to get into.

The Wastrel
1/27/2003 1:06am,
I agree, but maybe I can't quite explain what I mean about this. It's not that I rush, ah ****...I don't know. I'm a novice.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

atomic
1/28/2003 9:14pm,
I often tend to look for combinations that my sparring partner tends to favor or certain bad habits that my sparring partner has when he/she executes a technique (i.e. dropping their right hand during a combination, keeping their hands low etc.) This tends to generally work well but there is always the chance that the person I'm sparring does it intentionally in order to bait me for their own counter.
I also try and make sure that my defense has no gaps that would allow my sparring partner to take advantage. Nothing is foolproof unfortunately and I get hit but that's to be expected. It would be foolish and dangerous to think otherwise.

Omar
1/28/2003 10:24pm,
Wastrel,

Your just a BAJI ! man at heart. ATTACK ! ! ! Maybee blitz is a better word than rush? Or seize the offensive and stay on it! Make HIM adapt to YOUR style!

BAH ! Puny Humans !

Greese
1/29/2003 1:32am,
I think it a moot point a lot of the time. Someone who is skilled will bait you just as much as a poor person would make mistakes. I try and take anything that they will give me.

Fatality Dragon
1/29/2003 2:01am,
While spars, I perfect to stick to very basic hands to hand combat, some simple throw, and may few take down. Because in real life basic stuff is probably what you will be using the most.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."

Stold
1/29/2003 2:07am,
Attack, attack...Attack some more...I pretty much ignore the patterns and techniques of the opponent and take them as they come. Been known to take multiple body shots just for a good elbow on their face.

Fatality Dragon
1/29/2003 2:15am,
Stold, here is one advice, try to learn to read opponent and learn their pattern and reduce amount of the body shots you recieve. Many people HATE to spar with me because I would throw a lot of false or weak kicks or punches just to see how they reaction. If they reaction the same way twice, I would just do it again and place a good hits on open part of the body. A weak punch that find its target are better than a missing punch.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."

Stold
1/29/2003 2:53pm,
You and me sparring would be quite interesting, because everytime you faked I would rush to attack. One of my silly tendencies.

Understand, when I say body shots, I don't mean shots to my rib cage or floating ribs. Those would hurt. I mean punches to my abs. They're trained, I'm light, and people can really slam me there a few times before I feel it.

Fatality Dragon
1/29/2003 3:27pm,
Yes it would be very interesting. Most people won't rush into me because I am a really small and fast person, so bigger person would usually try to lure me closer to them before making a move. So I will probably have a lot to learn from you too. It is ALWAYS good to try adjust the way you spars/fight once in a while to learn some new things.

I know what you mean by abs part and I am the same, I even have people stand on it just to show them that I can handle their punches during spars. That is one of the reason I don't ever hit in abs at all.

SRyuFighter
1/29/2003 3:54pm,
My sparring partner doesnt attack too much. It's great target practice and I get to see what works but he never attacks me. My sensei is trying to encourage him to attack me but he never does, as a result i have to spar with one other person, most of which are lower rank so it's not too hard to work against my tendencies.

Omen Stone
1/29/2003 6:50pm,
show off

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan