PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Gee and Hung Fa Yi?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jonny
10/21/2004 5:12pm,
One of the newly qualified sifus at my WC club took a holiday to the US over the summer (this was during my break from the club) . According to my classmates and sifus, when he returned he appeared to be brainwashed. He reckoned that he'd found 'the real Wing Chun' :icon_roll , and he was leaving our association to study Hung Fa Yi WC under Grandmaster Garrett Gee. No biggy, people move about all the time. The things that spiked my bullshido meter were:

1 - He believes that this is ultimate MA, and that year's training in it will turn him into a fighting god.
2 - The training is going to cost £20,000!!!

He always seemed a fairly sensible person to me, so his plan of forking over 20 grand and moving to the US for a year seems rather out of character.

I've had a quick look around the HFY website: http://www.hungfakwoon.com/mainhfy.htm , and it looks like a typical TMA site (pics of disasters included). So does anyone know anything about Garrett Gee and Hung Fa Yi?

Cheers,

Jonny

Jonny
10/23/2004 6:51am,
Come on, someone must have heard of this guy, he's Action Magazine's "Martial Artist of the Year ~ 2001" for goodness sake. :icon_wink Not to mention the fact that he's got a "Grand Master of the Year Nomination into the 2004 United States Martial Arts Hall of Fame".

Jonny

William E
10/25/2004 2:55pm,
Jonny

I will not speak for the sifu you mentioned in your post or his beliefs but I'd like to set the story straight.

First of all, there are several different public programs that are offered through the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Federation. These programs are typically for regular students as well as those individuals looking to become an instructor and teach the system to the public either through a club level organization or an official kwoon.

In addition, Grand Master Garrett Gee has hand selected certain individuals to become members of the Hung Fa Yi family. This path is not for everyone and is typically pursued by those people who have a lifelong interest in martial arts and identify with it as a way of life. This commitment is taken very seriously by GM Gee and the expectations are high from both sides. All disciples make a one time commitment of $20,000.00. This is not just for a “one year program” but means you are truly part of the kung fu family for life.

Now take a look at what you are saying in your post above and I’ll include some additional information that I know of first hand since I took this sifu out to dinner one night during his stay in San Francisco so he wouldn’t spend it in his hotel room alone……

- A newly “qualified” sifu (presumes he knows something about wing chun) spent one week in the states.
- During that week he attended a weekend workshop at the VTM.
- During the rest of his visit in San Francisco, the time spent with GM Gee at the Hung Fa Kwoon was about 6 hours (3 regular classes).
- During this 6 hour period we somehow were able to “brainwash” a “fairly sensible person” using your own words.

I would like to applaud someone with 6 years wing chun experience who actually took the time to come to the US to check out something they were really curious about. In keeping an open mind, your sifu was actually able to see the difference with the system he was currently learning. So much so that he actually was contemplating moving to the US to spend one year where he could attend regular class and learn as much as possible before returning. I consider this excitement not being brainwashed. Although our time spent together was short, I really enjoyed your sifu's company and I support whatever decision he makes.

GM Gee told your sifu that he would have to make up his own mind regarding Hung Fa Yi and moving to the states. In order to show proper respect to his current lineage, your sifu would need to get permission from his current sifu before being allowed to join our organization and leave yours.

If you are truly interested in learning more about my sifu Grand Master Garrett Gee you can do so here…..http://www.hungfakwoon.com/SifuGee.htm .

If you have further questions regarding Hung Fa Yi and would like to learn more I would point you to our forum at http://www.hfy108.com

William E.

Isles
10/25/2004 4:36pm,
"he's Action Magazine's "Martial Artist of the Year ~ 2001... Not to mention the fact that he's got a "Grand Master of the Year Nomination into the 2004 United States Martial Arts Hall of Fame". Grand Master Gee's contributions in the realm of martial art are very extensive well known to a great many number of people.

"He always seemed a fairly sensible person to me, so his plan of forking over 20 grand and moving to the US for a year seems rather out of character." What might be out of character for a martial artist is to find something they believe in and not want to learn it.

feedback
10/25/2004 4:39pm,
$20,000 to change my family line? Call me Doug Hung Fa Yi!

PoleFighter
10/25/2004 5:07pm,
What, exactly, is included in the 20 grand?

William E
10/25/2004 5:57pm,
There are many people around the globe who are learning kung fu including students, instructors and disciples. Each brings with them their own level of commitment to their personal growth and that of the organization. This is nothing new and follows the traditional model of the kung fu family as I understand it. Not all students are qualified to become instructors and not all instructors are qualified to become disciples. A person may train many years before the subject of discipleship is even brought up or discussed. Disciples are selected because they believe in and are committed to the positive growth of the organization, have the ability to learn the material presented to them, possess a certain level of martial skill and can afford to learn.

By knowing our place in this world we understand both martial arts loyalty and business loyalty. Financial support for the organization by its members allows us the ability to travel around the world teaching our style of wing chun to those that want to learn.

There are some that choose to become Dr’s, lawyers, engineers, flight attendants, hair stylists. Each have their own cost and level of commitment.

William E.

Isles
10/25/2004 7:06pm,
There is the experience of going to a modern University for 7 years or more. Then if you could add to that by learning from not just a life long professional instructor but also the most senior and learned and being able to live with this instructor and have them as your personal tutor at the same time and at the end of this you receive a Masters or Phd. Degree recognized around the world that would beconsidered by many an invaluable educational experience. Grand Master Garrett Gee is one such instructor his accomplishments are numerous verifiable and made at the sacrifice of his personal time and expense of being a martial artist to keep and expand his art his entire life is how he earned his reputation as a giving professional. The Hung Fa Yi descipleship program like other's descipleship programs is also comparable to todays University education and so there are many people not only smart enough to see this as a unique experience but ready and wiling to take advantage of this opportunity when it becomes available for them to do so.

The Hung Fa kwoon (http://www.hungfakwoon.com/SifuGee.htm)

Mr. Mantis
10/25/2004 7:16pm,
This is actually the first time I had ever heard of anyone charging money to take disciples. Disciples are viewed as adoptive children. So charging them money just doesn't feel right to me.

Is this practice more wide spread than this? Or is it a Wing Chun thing?

Isles
10/25/2004 7:29pm,
Mr_Mantis
This is actually the first time I have heard of a disciple viewed as an adoptive child. In my studies I have found very few things to be unique to a particular art or family. The relationship between a teacher and student is personal your Sifu could probably explain the details to you much better than anyone on a forum.

Esan
10/25/2004 8:00pm,
To all,

I've read some posts from elsewhere, but I like to learn more about the relationship between Robert Chu and the VTM.

(quote)... Robert Chu charged my Sigung Benny Meng $1,000 per lesson just doing research of Goo Lo Wing Chun concepts for the Ving Tsun Museum.

(quote from walking the path by Robert Chu) Martial arts is a tool for enlightment, it's not all about making dollars.

I don't understand this!

Neurosomatic
10/25/2004 10:34pm,
"but I like to learn more about the relationship between Robert Chu and the VTM."

There has been mutual vilificiation in the past, and I doubt things have improved much in between times.

Rakim
10/26/2004 6:29am,
Hey man I would like to jump in here and say that some of us learn martial arts for more then just learning how to beat someone down or keeping someone from beating us down. I hate to see people bash the TMA's So much. I know if he charges someone that much money and they want to become a teacher. they will be very serious about it and will not waste his time. Now if he only taught to people that would pay this much I would have questions. I he says "you have to make up your own mind" that does not sound like brain washing to me.

What do you expect a Grand master to say about his art. "it's pretty good"? LOL! No matter what art you are learning you better believe the higher ups really believe in it. It is up to him to deciede if that art is for him or not. It seems as clear as a slap in the face that if he was a Sifu in one art and feels this strong about what he has learned then there must be something there. If you are his student you should listen to him atleast and see if there is something there for you. I have found my system and I'm very loyal to it. But you don't think I would not change in a heart beat if I found something that changed my mind like that. But that's just me. I'd rather have something that works instead of something I just like and might or might not work for me. I mean this in fighting or even in other aspects.

So they claim to be the original W/C. That does not matter to me. If it's not for me and my W/C came after it who gives a rat's ass? Frankly I'm tired of all of the pissing and grunting about history etc... It really makes us all look like jokes to the other martial arts. I'm begging to aggree with them about most W/C guys are good talkers and they play alot of Chi sau but most cannot actually fight! That's the sad state of our art. All becuase of B/S politics and non-atheletic MF's that represent us most of the time. Let's not even mention that William C and Boztepe rolling around on the floor punching each other like girls tape. Hell when's the last time you where attack in a dark street and the guy came up and did chi sau? WTF?

Ok I'm now stepping down off of my forum soap box let the flames beggin!

Esan
10/26/2004 12:35pm,
(quote)Come on, someone must have heard of this guy, he's Action Magazine's "Martial Artist of the Year ~ 2001" for goodness sake. Not to mention the fact that he's got a "Grand Master of the Year Nomination into the 2004 United States Martial Arts Hall of Fame".

Yes, there are alot of people who have heard of Grandmaster Garrett Gee.

Intersting post from a TKD master who knows about the HFYWCK.

Why do we study HFY?

http://www.hungfakwoon.com/MichealPynum.htm

Commentary - Michael Pynum (San Francisco Kwoon)

“Wondering, awareness, and focus” were the first three words I learned when I stepped into Sifu Garret Gee’s Hung Fa Yi Kwoon. At first, they just seemed like part of another martial art philosophy. Little did I know however, that those three simple words would change my life forever.

I have always been interested in learning martial arts. As a result, I have a background in Taekwondo, Aikido, Yang-style Tai Chi, Muay Thai, Shaolin Kenpo, and Doce Pares Eskrima. In each of those arts, I eventually lost interest or felt that they were lacking in some way personally. For me, martial arts should mean more than just how to punch, kick, grab, throw, or swing a weapon. I believe that martial arts should affect the way you live your life as well. They should help improve your mind, body, and soul.

As I grew older and somewhat wiser, flashy martial arts did not appeal to me anymore. I wanted to find something that was practical and street-effective, yet spiritual. Many people talk about how good martial arts are for your self-esteem, discipline, and coordination. But, I always wondered if they honestly believe and practice what they preach?

I had heard of Wing Chun from books, videos, Internet sites, and friends. It seemed to offer what I was looking for, however, finding a good Wing Chun school took me over five years. Due to all the different schools of Wing Chun found today, I was very selective in seeking out an instructor.

After much research and visiting a few Wing Chun schools I was fortunate enough to find Sifu Gee. At first, I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive about Sifu’s teachings and philosophy. While watching his students perform Siu Lim Tao it looked very different from what I knew about Wing Chun up to that point. However, when Sifu would explain a certain movement or concept, he would explain it in such a way that left no doubt as to why you should follow. Never before has someone been able to explain the why in martial arts to me. Most of my martial arts instructors were able to explain the who, what, where, when, and how of a technique, but not the why. Those who have studied martial arts for an extended period of time may better understand what I am trying to convey. Yet, despite all this, it still took me a few weeks to decide that I wanted to learn Hung Fa Yi. Over and over again, I analyzed what I had seen and what Sifu had told me about the Hung Fa Yi lineage. When I finally decided to learn from Sifu it was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made in my entire life.

To this day, I am very grateful to Sifu Gee for opening up the doors of his school to me. Each class is a learning experience that I can take beyond just martial technique. No longer is a punch just a punch or kick just a kick. And, no longer am I searching for another martial art because I am bored or find Hung Fa Yi lacking in some way. For at last, I have found a martial art that can help develop my mind, body, and soul and for that I am truly grateful. Thank you Sifu!

Esan
10/26/2004 12:44pm,
"WHY" in martial arts.

This is another interesting post.

(originally posted by Mr.El)

Re: Why do we study HFY?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:Commentary - Michael Pynum (San Francisco Kwoon)

However, when Sifu would explain a certain movement or concept, he would explain it in such a way that left no doubt as to why you should follow. Never before has someone been able to explain the why in martial arts to me. Most of my martial arts instructors were able to explain the who, what, where, when, and how of a technique, but not the why. Those who have studied martial arts for an extended period of time may better understand what I am trying to convey.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is most gratifying for me (EI) to observe someone (Michael Pynum) who is discovering the reality of the word:"WHY" in martial arts.

Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen Grandmaster Garrett Gee

Thank you for Sifu’s teachings and philosophy.

El

passing_through
10/26/2004 12:52pm,
Mr_Mantis,

You're right about 'charging money' and discipleship.

The 20,000 is tuition and a symbol of dedication in the same vein as Chun Wah Shun charging Ip Man 500 taels of silver to study Wing Chun. At that time, 500 taels of silver would buy several houses (which would be in excess of $500,000 to $1,000,000 US in today's $$$). The Disciple group are motivated people that want to do martial arts full time and is offered by invitation only. Also, joining this group does not guarantee anything, only the support necessary to learn everything. The student still has to 'pay his dues' in terms of training and effort.

Included (but not limited to) in the $20,000:
- any and all training
- access to Grand Master Gee 24/7
- no learning fees/seminar fees for the rest of your life (so long as you remain active)
- full support from the larger HFY family

The traditions in each kung fu family are unique so sitting on the outside and trying to guess what's going on and why is really little more than gossiping, wasted energy that takes one no where in life.

Speaking from first hand experience of the Sifu that sparked this whole thread, he's a great guy that has found something with which he identifies. He stayed with me when he was in Dayton. We talked for several hours each day about Wing Chun worldwide, watched some videos of different people in the Wing Chun community, and discussed his personal history and experience in the past. The more we discussed theory and trained application, the more strongly he identified with the HFY system. He told me that he read Mastering Kung Fu three times and by the third reading, he had to see the system for himself. I salute him for his dedication to his training. Rather than just listen to gossip, he came and experienced for himself. This shows his heart as a martial artist.

Sincerely,
Jeremy R.