PDA

View Full Version : The Almighty Dollar

Pages : [1] 2

Kayne
10/17/2004 9:53pm,
Seeing as McDojo's are primarily motivated by greed, it's probably reasonable to assume that the higher the cost of the classes, the higher the risk of the place being a McDojo. Having said that, what do you out there in internet land think is a reasonable price, whether it be lesson to lesson, weekly, monthly, or even annual fees (which would definitely raise warning flags anyway)?

Also, if you don't specify a currency I'll just assume US$.

Deadpan Scientist
10/17/2004 9:55pm,
I would say about 100-120 is average for bjj

Kayne
10/17/2004 9:58pm,
I assume that's by the month. How many lessons a week, if so?

Zing!
10/17/2004 9:59pm,
I pay 100 for three days a week. But the amount that I would pay depends on the quality of instruction. Very high quality instruction is hard to find. It can be worth a lot.

Reikon
10/17/2004 10:02pm,
I wanted to ask the same question...

Some Dojos offer only a certian amount of classes a week for the monthly price, some offer only a certain amount of hours per week.

The 2 dojos near my house, one offers 85$ for Kung fu/tkd lessons, 2 class hours per week, 2 classes a week, or $75 for 2 class hours of Filipino Martial Arts...per month...

You add $50 per extra class type..

i.e if oyu want to add TKD to your FMA it'd be $130 or so, then $180 for Kung Fu, TKD, and FMA...and so on..

Then theres a Kempo one that does $150 for the first month, for gi, etc. and then $85 a month after that, and (last i checked) as many classes of whatever they teach a week/month.

Deadpan Scientist
10/17/2004 10:07pm,
I would say about 5 lessons a week is average(nighttime lessons). The place I currently go has something like 12 classes a week that I could go to. It's 100 a month

Reikon
10/17/2004 10:23pm,
I never understood BJJ...In an interview he said his father had to adapt Juijitsu for small people, yet the japanese are small people. It makes no sense.

Te(V)plar
10/17/2004 10:25pm,
I never understood BJJ...In an interview he said his father had to adapt Juijitsu for small people, yet the japanese are small people. It makes no sense.
You're retarded.

Kayne
10/17/2004 10:28pm,
Seeing as McDojo's are primarily motivated by greed, it's probably reasonable to assume that the higher the cost of the classes, the higher the risk of the place being a McDojo.
BJJ is about expensive as it gets.

Yeah, I was careful to leave the terms fairly uncertain. I pay AU$67 for 4 lessons a week, which is a reduced (junior) fee, because I help my instructor out with the kids (actually, $67 is the cost for 3 lessons/week, but I'm really the only person who turns up 4/4 days). The senior fees are $100 for 3 lessons a week.

Is there any reason why BJJ is often more expensive than other MA's?

Reikon
10/17/2004 10:31pm,
No...not for small people against larger people. He just plain said adapt the techniques for smaller people to use.

BTW, I was quoting gracie, so don't freak out on me.

Te(V)plar
10/17/2004 10:37pm,
No...not for small people against larger people. He just plain said adapt the techniques for smaller people to use.

BTW, I was quoting gracie, so don't freak out on me.
The implication is that the tool-set is applicable for small people against larger opponents. You do realize that even if you accept the belief that the Japanese are considered a small people, that they do vary in size relative to one another, right?

Shuma-Gorath
10/17/2004 10:38pm,
My new school costs the same as my last one did, has a year-long contract paid up front and the facilities are much smaller. The difference is that there aren't 900+ students and I can actually respect my fellow classmates.

Price is not indicative of a McDojo. Profit margins are.

Reikon
10/17/2004 10:42pm,
Of course, however, overall, the japanese are a small people. Average height for a male I think is 5' 6" and less...

BTW, What's the standing on the Gracies? I don't know that much about them..I just heard a small interview and thats it. If anyone wants to PM me more info on BJJ feel free.

Reikon
10/17/2004 10:52pm,
Yeah i tried that...didn't come up with much.

Kayne
10/17/2004 11:01pm,
Your google-fu is weak (http://bjj.org/).

albert
10/17/2004 11:01pm,
I think around $60-70 US is reasonable. Around $100 if you're being instructed by pro fighters in striking and grappling, and the fighters are actually around consistently.