PDA

View Full Version : FMA on Long Island

ojgsxr6
10/07/2004 2:00pm,
I've been looking everywhere and I can't seem to find a FMA on LI. Just places that do stick fighting and the McDojo I found. I want the whole thing from sticks to knives to trapping. So does anybody know of anything?

ojgsxr6
10/08/2004 11:49am,
*Bump* - Are there not alot of people In LI on this board, because I really want to learn how to mall someone up with a stick.

Hawkeye
10/08/2004 12:22pm,
If you fancy the blade, you might want to check out Sayoc Kali. Go to sayoc.com under the listing of "associate instructors" and I think there is a guy named Russell Ireland whose location is simply listed "Long Island". Sayoc Kali is all blade, all the time so you might not learn the stick from him but he might know some of the Sayoc Fighting System which involves stick. You could probably get his attention or someone who knows his contact info on the Sayoc.com forums.

I found this too:

http://www.filipinomag.com/Directory/NorthAmerica/new_york.html

Kapatid Martial Arts is kind of far from ya, but Guro Pat's school is very good when it comes to FMAs. Pat Consing is an outstanding teacher.

I think the Atienza brothers and some of their guys are out your way too. Those guys are fucking amazing when it comes to stick and blade. I got nothing but the highest respect for them. They teach a damn good improvised weapons course as well. You can get their attention at Atienzakali.com

Also, you could PM punchingdummy or Jenfucius. To my knowledge, neither does FMAs, but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

ojgsxr6
10/08/2004 12:51pm,
Thanks, I'm checking the list of instructors on Sayoc.com, it looks like some of them are on the Island. Thank you very much.

Hawkeye
10/08/2004 1:15pm,
No problem. When it comes to FMAs and e-tool do, Hawkeye aims to please. :D

Gypsy Jazz
10/08/2004 1:56pm,
Where on LI are you? I know of a few places in Nassau county that teach FMA, but I don't know of any that do it exclusively. One of them meowrsx trains at and does stuff dog brothers style. You should probably give him a PM if you're interested. Another I know of off the top of my head is a JKD place. I don't know how much they do in terms of FMA though.

ojgsxr6
10/08/2004 2:30pm,
Gypsy, I'm in Lindenhurst, Suffolk County, but I'm not to far from Nassau.

TekkaMaki
5/13/2005 3:53pm,
at Long Island Ninjutsu Centers, our head instructor Renshi Allie got his first black belt in Sayoc Kali. We did a seven hour seminar with Tuhon Chris Sayoc a couple of years ago, it was brilliant. We don't do the knife fighting stuff often, so you probably wouldn't look to us for your Philipino Arts, but I just figured I'd mention that the Sayoc Kali is great stuff, real scary like. Lots of killing the other guy several times in a single drill. Yikes!

Ken
5/15/2005 1:56am,
Um, you can't get a "black belt" in Sayoc Kali... There's no such thing. :merror:

As for the original poster, I'd recommend www.pmajkd.com Guro Nick Sacoulas is an excellent instructor, and runs a tight ship there. His style ranges from Inosanto/Lacoste blend, some Illustrisimo, to Dog Brothers MA and Sayoc Kali.

Ken

Matt Bernius
5/15/2005 12:13pm,
I'd also check out this place in Massapequa. I visited there about five yeras ago and they were good. It's pretty bare bones as far as looks, but they throw down hard.

http://www.modernfightingarts.com/new/mfa/default.asp

- Matt

TekkaMaki
5/24/2005 11:12am,
Um, you can't get a "black belt" in Sayoc Kali... There's no such thing. :merror:

As for the original poster, I'd recommend www.pmajkd.com Guro Nick Sacoulas is an excellent instructor, and runs a tight ship there. His style ranges from Inosanto/Lacoste blend, some Illustrisimo, to Dog Brothers MA and Sayoc Kali.

Ken

Yeah, I know, but I have no clue what the actual rank is for someone who has reached an instructor level in philipino martial arts, so I used black belt in its place. Sorry for the confusion.

Matt Bernius
5/24/2005 11:48am,
Yeah, I know, but I have no clue what the actual rank is for someone who has reached an instructor level in philipino martial arts, so I used black belt in its place. Sorry for the confusion.Either call him a "Guro" (teacher) or simply use the all purpose "has a teaching certification under X"

- Matt